shape
carat
color
clarity

Music ideas for a small wedding and budget question...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondsearcher05

Rough_Rock
We are having a small wedding -- I''m thinking somewhere around 50-60 people or so -- I thought it might be nice to have a piano man who sings, rather than having a band. I think people can still dance to this, right? Has anyone done this? If so, can you give me an basic idea of how much I should expect to spend?

Also -- please let me know if you have any other non-traditional music ideas. I''d like some dancing -- but not traditional loud band type stuff since it''ll be such a tiny bunch... Maybe something with more of a cocktail party feel or a jazz feel would be good. Other than a piano man, do you know what kind of music I could do? I''d like to have a first dance...

Thanks for any tips!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
ipod

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 8:53:32 AM
Author: appletini
ipod

We used FIL''s laptop and rented speakers and an amp ($200) to play music for 100 people. It was great and we got to hand-pick all of our music. Live musicians are always going to be more expensive than a DJ, and doing it DIY is going to be cheaper than a DJ. With 50 people, you don''t have to project the sound too far, so a CD boombox would be fine, IMO.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Using an iPod/laptop & speakers sounds like a great idea to me too! You can customize your playlist, ahead of time, then just let it run.

If you really want live musicians, I don't see why you couldn't dance to a pianist/singer. I was just in a bar that had live music & (2) pianists/singers & there were lots of people on the dance floor. A jazz combo would be nice as well, but you're getting into more money here.

From what I can tell, the major disadvantage of doing DIY music is that there isn't someone like a DJ or band leader to move the party along. (announce the first dance, get people onto the floor, etc.) Perhaps you could recruit a friend to help with this? Or maybe post an ad on Craig's List for an emcee?

How did you handle this, JCJD?

ETA: Furthermore, good for you for splurging on your new saxes! You'll have them forever & they'll always remind you of your wedding day! Congrats!
36.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Furthermore, you''re too funny!
26.gif

I agree--definitely audition the piano man before you hire him, if that''s what you decide to do! Perhaps you can see him play another gig?

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 10:14:16 AM
Author: BrightSpot
How did you handle this, JCJD?

We put J''s bro in charge of music (he''s 21 and in college, perfect task for him!), so he handled the song order, downloading the mp3s, and running the laptop, while he and the best man shared MC duties at the reception. It was fairly casual, only announced us, 2 formal dances, first dance and Father-daughter, so it wasn''t a huge time committment for them and they enjoyed themselves. The BM is a very outgoing guy, so it was great fun.

Plus, I put the wedding party in charge of having a blast and getting people dancing (it was on their list of duties!) and I pulled people onto the dance floor if need be.
12.gif

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 12:34:37 PM
Author: JCJD
. It was fairly casual, only announced us, 2 formal dances, first dance and Father-daughter, so it wasn''t a huge time committment for them and they enjoyed themselves.
It seems to me, that''s all you need!

And I''m glad you & the wedding party got the guests up & dancing. It sounds like your wedding was a blast!
9.gif
(I''m still giggling about your pantyhose story!)
3.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/3/2005 4:38:07 PM
Author: BrightSpot
< (I'm still giggling about your pantyhose story!)
3.gif

BEWARE THE PANTYHOSE!!!!!
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif

28.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
My sis was at a small wedding recently where the DJ had been misinformed about what type of crowd would be there, so the music he had with him was more of an old school vibe. The guests were not "feeling" the music at all. Eventually, he ran out to his car and brought his IPOD in. He hooked it up to the speakers and just played songs from it.

I think an IPOD is definitely the way to go!!

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
We did the iPod too! Had set up playlists - for different pahses.

Not much Dancing - except for our first dance. Mostly just fun background music.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I just wrote about this on another thread, but we didn''t go with band or DJ. Just had a friend play hand-picked music from CD''s during dinner, and then we had a string-trio dressed in Colonial Costume playing music from that era. (i.e. from the late 1700''s) No dancing other than our first dance, which was a waltz, and some folks did a little waltzing too.

One reception I went to, they just had a friend do hand-picked songs from the big-band era, not too loud, so some people were dancing sort of big-band style etc... That might work well.

I agree totally; not into a loud DJ or band, especially considering what you described for your reception.

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
Definitely ipod. In our invitation, we asked for a favorite song to be included in the RSVP...

My now-husband and I spent many a night perfecting our playlists: we had Playlist A for appetizer music (totally eclectic mix- from Styx "Lady" to Toby Keith (country). Playlist B was during the dinner hours (Billy Joel to Norah Jones to Andrea Bocelli), Playlist C was dancing music (from Abba to Gloria Branagan to Black Eyed Peas) and then Playlist D for our bonfire and s''mores (more mellow music).....with almost everyone''s "picked" songs blended in.

We spent about $250- the electrical guys came and set up 4 HUGE outdoor speakers for my beach wedding. And it was great! We had tons of great comments from our guests, and it was so easy!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 2:09:54 PM
Author: lilyinct
Definitely ipod. In our invitation, we asked for a favorite song to be included in the RSVP...

That is a fantastic idea!!!

Faerievert

Shiny_Rock
I''m going the do it yourself route too - on an iBook rather than an iPod. Nice to know some other people have done it that way too. I have the advantage of renting a room with a built in sound system - it''s often used for meetings, so it has hookups and a microphone provided. The pianoman sounds like a really sweet way to go though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results