shape
carat
color
clarity

msop04, physicians, people knowledgeable about the immune system?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you did not know this but it's a running joke between my dh and me and even the rest of my family. They all say I was a depression era baby in another life. Because I LOVE stocking up on everything and I can never have too much of anything including tp, paper towels, food supplies, etc. You name it I need to stock up on it. And really I would not be surprised (if such a thing existed as previous and future lives) if I had been a depression era baby in another life. It's such a strong feeling I need abundance of everything. I am fortunate that my dh can indulge my needs because we have lots of storage in both homes. If g-d forbid there was a nuclear event or something equally catastrophic we would be OK for a long while with all the stuff we have stocked up. But that is not why I do it. Also, I would run out of my meds long before the food and water supplies and die. But I digress. What a cheery thought.

:cheeky:
@missy I wasn’t supposed to laugh when you said you would be ready for a nuclear event with all your paper towels, etc but would die from not having meds...but I couldn’t help it...Your delivery was perfect..hahaha...I would too be dead too...Boy..We are cheery this morning! :lol:
Okay...Enough procrastination...I need to get ready for that shot!

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joanne-

Did you get the vaccine?

Deb (AGBF)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joanne-

Did you get the vaccine?

Deb (AGBF)
Yes @AGBF...I didn’t get any reaction other than a slightly sore arm. I feel very lucky. I may have been extra tired the next day..but I can’t tell because I don’t sleep well anyway..haha

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes @AGBF...I didn’t get any reaction other than a slightly sore arm. I feel very lucky. I may have been extra tired the next day..but I can’t tell because I don’t sleep well anyway..haha

I am glad to hear it. I wanted to know how you did! (I am sorry you do not sleep well, however.)

Deb :wavey:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad to hear it. I wanted to know how you did! (I am sorry you do not sleep well, however.)

Thanks Deb..I think it’s just old age...haha

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So you did not know this but it's a running joke between my dh and me and even the rest of my family. They all say I was a depression era baby in another life. Because I LOVE stocking up on everything and I can never have too much of anything including tp, paper towels, food supplies, etc. You name it I need to stock up on it. And really I would not be surprised (if such a thing existed as previous and future lives) if I had been a depression era baby in another life. It's such a strong feeling I need abundance of everything. I am fortunate that my dh can indulge my needs because we have lots of storage in both homes. If g-d forbid there was a nuclear event or something equally catastrophic we would be OK for a long while with all the stuff we have stocked up. But that is not why I do it. Also, I would run out of my meds long before the food and water supplies and die. But I digress. What a cheery thought.

:cheeky:

I laughed at this because this is very much like my husband. He loves to order everything in bulk! He uses those little squeeze bottles of lime juice and a few months ago he ordered SIXTY of them! Sixty! What are we going to do with sixty!? Each one lasts several months. We're going to have lime juice into the apocalypse. Not to mention all the cleaning supplies, toilet paper, etc - but that is more understandable to me since we always go through that faster than we think we will.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got my second Shingrex shot this morning..Hopefully I won’t have a reaction. After the first one my arm just felt sore and I was tired the next day..
@AGBF Did you get your second shot? Any reaction if you did?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, I had both shots, as did my husband. Just a sore arm and a little fatigue, both times.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean, I had both shots, as did my husband. Just a sore arm and a little fatigue, both times.

Great! Thank you @pearlsngems..I heard that some people get a reaction with the second dose even though they didn’t have a reaction with the first one.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my second dose a week ago. I had a very bad reaction again! My doctor said it's better than getting shingles. And I'm sick again. There was a sick nurse at my infusion clinic Saturday. I'm angry about that. All the patients are taking infusions that are virtually wiping out our immune systems--chemo level drugs. I have been isolating. I'm not even going to go out at all unless I have to. At least for the next 2 weeks. I never want to do the shingles vaccine again, but it's only "good" for 4-5 years.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got my second dose a week ago. I had a very bad reaction again! My doctor said it's better than getting shingles. And I'm sick again. There was a sick nurse at my infusion clinic Saturday. I'm angry about that. All the patients are taking infusions that are virtually wiping out our immune systems--chemo level drugs. I have been isolating. I'm not even going to go out at all unless I have to. At least for the next 2 weeks. I never want to do the shingles vaccine again, but it's only "good" for 4-5 years.

I‘m sorry you’re sick @lyra. You would think they would know better than to go into an infusion clinic with a cold! I don’t blame you for isolating. If I didn’t have to go out with all the flu going on..I wouldn’t.
My arm is really hurting..but I think it’s just from the injection. I didn’t know it was only good for 4-5 years..:twisted2:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my second shingles vaccination a few weeks ago. I don't think I posted about it here. I thought it gave me mild cold symptoms because the day after the shot I had a sore throat, but then I realized that the day I got the vaccination my nose had been running. So perhaps I had been coming down with a slight cold the day I got the vaccination and hadn't realized it. Yes, I had the sore arm again, but that was no big deal.

Now the nurse practitioner where I got the shingles vaccine and the high dose 'flu vaccine wants me to get the pneumonia vaccine!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great! Thank you @pearlsngems..I heard that some people get a reaction with the second dose even though they didn’t have a reaction with the first one.

Yes. The nurse who gave me my second dose of the shingles vaccine told me this. After she gave me the second dose!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need the pneumonia vaccine too. My reaction to the shingrix vaccine both times was that the injection site swelled to the size of a golf ball, and man, I would not let man nor beast get anywhere near touching that arm, lol. I warned everyone that I would lash out, it just hurt so bad. I also felt like I got run over for 4 days. And yes, you would think an infusion nurse would stay home if sick, but apparently the one who should have been working called in sick. I couldn't avoid it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need the pneumonia vaccine too. My reaction to the shingrix vaccine both times was that the injection site swelled to the size of a golf ball, and man, I would not let man nor beast get anywhere near touching that arm, lol. I warned everyone that I would lash out, it just hurt so bad. I also felt like I got run over for 4 days. And yes, you would think an infusion nurse would stay home if sick, but apparently the one who should have been working called in sick. I couldn't avoid it.

Wow. I am really sorry, lyra. That is a very bad outcome, indeed!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. The nurse who gave me my second dose of the shingles vaccine told me this. After she gave me the second dose!

You had a bad reaction the second time @AGBF?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh no..That’s horrible @lyra..Mine got swollen but not that big! :(2

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
OK, you all are scaring me. I went to the doctor yesterday for an annual physical and she told me I needed a shingles vaccine but her office does not have them in stock. She gave me the choice of finding it myself at a walk in type clinic or driving 50 miles to a different location run by the same medical office. She said nothing about two shots needed.

Hmmm. Not feeling great about her lack of information or having to track down a vaccine myself.

I feel procrastination coming on.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are 2 different vaccines I think. I could only do the Shingrix because it doesn't use live virus. I can't have any live virus vaccines. Also, my reaction was the exception. I'm always the exception. If only 1% of people get a bad reaction to something, you can bet that'll be me. Shringrix requires 2 shots, the second one being 2 months to 6 months after the first. I waited 3 months I think.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had my second shot yesterday.. I feel exhausted...my arm hurts and I feel achy. That’s nothing compared to getting the Shingles.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, you all are scaring me. I went to the doctor yesterday for an annual physical and she told me I needed a shingles vaccine but her office does not have them in stock. She gave me the choice of finding it myself at a walk in type clinic or driving 50 miles to a different location run by the same medical office. She said nothing about two shots needed.

Hmmm. Not feeling great about her lack of information or having to track down a vaccine myself.

I don’t know where you live but try a grocery pharmacy..That’s how I found mine.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my second shot yesterday.. I feel exhausted...my arm hurts and I feel achy. That’s nothing compared to getting the Shingles.

How are you feeling today @Mamabean?

I have to ask my internist about the vaccination as he dissuaded me from getting it after my first Shingles outbreak and goodness knows I would prefer not getting Shingles again.

Most pharmacies should stock them...just call ahead and check. Good luck.
Maybe this link will be helpful for you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You had a bad reaction the second time @AGBF?

No. I think I had a cold coming on when I got the second vaccination. My nose was running that day. Even so, all I had was a sore throat for one day after the vaccination and a sore arm. No bad reaction. Sorry if I scared anyone! :))

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I don’t know where you live but try a grocery pharmacy..That’s how I found mine.

Great idea! I took your suggestion and I called the number on the back of my insurance card and found that my local pharmacy 2 miles from my home has it in stock and I have an appointment to get it today. Cost to me with insurance: ZERO.

I am nervous for side effects, but hoping for the best. I have seen friends have shingles and the fear of shingles is worse than the fear of side effects, so I am going through with it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great idea! I took your suggestion and I called the number on the back of my insurance card and found that my local pharmacy 2 miles from my home has it in stock and I have an appointment to get it today. Cost to me with insurance: ZERO.

I am nervous for side effects, but hoping for the best. I have seen friends have shingles and the fear of shingles is worse than the fear of side effects, so I am going through with it.

Good luck @asscherisme! You are doing the right thing. I got shingles a few years ago and while the Shingles itself wasn't too bad a case I had lots of issues afterwards that I feel were related to Shingles (despite the doctors saying no) so it's wise to get the vaccinations.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

That’s great @asscherisme! Don’t be worried...The chances of you having a bad reaction is very low...I just had a sore arm the first day..a little headache and tired the next day. It was never enough to take anything for. It was very mild. On the third day I had nothing at all except for my arm being slightly sore...Let me know how you do...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad you are protecting yourself, asscherisme!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! It was done yesterday. I woke up in the middle of the night because my arm was in pain (I am a side sleeper and had fallen asleep on the arm that the vaccination went in). I have a very mild headache this morning, but not enough to stop my plans for the day.

So, other than my arm being more sore than a typical flu shot, I am feeling fine today. And very glad I got the vaccine. The nurse insisted I pull up my calendar to put a reminder in for two months to make an appointment for the second vaccine which I will definitely follow up with.

Thanks Deb, it is definitely peace of mind!

Mamabean, I am not going to take anything, pain is tolerable. Glad you survived it well too and protected yourself. You totally helped me out, your suggestion was fantastic going to a local pharmacy. I just handed my insurance card and drivers licence to verify coverage and I was set to go. They were very professional and friendly.

Missy, I am sorry you have issues from shingles. I totally believe it because I have seen it with a few friends too. Shingles can play havoc. One friend has constant nerve pain as a result. Seeing what my friends have gone through made me want to get it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! It was done yesterday. I woke up in the middle of the night because my arm was in pain (I am a side sleeper and had fallen asleep on the arm that the vaccination went in). I have a very mild headache this morning, but not enough to stop my plans for the day.

So, other than my arm being more sore than a typical flu shot, I am feeling fine today. And very glad I got the vaccine. The nurse insisted I pull up my calendar to put a reminder in for two months to make an appointment for the second vaccine which I will definitely follow up with.

Mamabean, I am not going to take anything, pain is tolerable. Glad you survived it well too and protected yourself. You totally helped me out, your suggestion was fantastic going to a local pharmacy. I just handed my insurance card and drivers licence to verify coverage and I was set to go. They were very professional and friendly.

Missy, I am sorry you have issues from shingles. I totally believe it because I have seen it with a few friends too. Shingles can play havoc. One friend has constant nerve pain as a result. Seeing what my friends have gone through made me want to get it.

Glad it’s over for you with minimal side effects! Thanks for your compassion. I’m well now and fully recovered from Shingles. 2014 was a challenging year. What doesn’t kill us...
Suffice to say I’m stronger now than ever. Hear me roarrrrrr. Well, more like a strong meow

:lol:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@asscherisme It sounds like a great outcome! I am very glad you did it! And thank you for reporting back to this thread, too! I, personally, wanted to know how you did, but I also think it is a service to others who may be worried about getting the vaccine or not even be aware of it. So announcing your results is, in my opinion, a public health service. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results