shape
carat
color
clarity

msop04, physicians, people knowledgeable about the immune system?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just got dose 2 of the shingrix vaccine (yesterday morning) and it is kicking our bu**s.

Achey, headache, chills, fever. I started experiencing aches and chills and fever about 5-6 hours after the vaccination. It took Greg about 10 hours to start feeling sick. We both are still experiencing these side effects almost 24 hours later. I hope it abates soon because this is not enjoyable at all. It feels just like having the flu.

Hopefully it will be worth it though. Both Greg and I had shingles years ago and we didn't want to relive that experience.

@missy I wonder if the fact that you both had shingles before is why your reaction was so strong. I hope you feel better today..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I wonder if the fact that you both had shingles before is why your reaction was so strong. I hope you feel better today..

Thank you Joanne, yes maybe that is the reason. We do feel much better today, thank you!
Interestingly enough my mom who never had shingles got the Shingrix vaccine (2 years ago?) and she had the worst reaction. She was sick for 4 days in bed after the second dose.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Joanne, yes maybe that is the reason. We do feel much better today, thank you!
Interestingly enough my mom who never had shingles got the Shingrix vaccine (2 years ago?) and she had the worst reaction. She was sick for 4 days in bed after the second dose.

It’s amazing how much the reactions are different for everyone. My arm was just really sore…My husband and friends had the same reaction…I have heard of people getting strong reactions but no one I know except for you, your hubby, and mom…Maybe you all have very strong immune systems. I hope this shot is worth it and keeps you from ever getting it again. It sounds like a miserable thing to get. I’m happy you’re feeling better..

Last edited:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reading with interest...I didn't realize the shingles vaccine had side effects so good to know as friends have suggested it. Glad that @missy and dh are doing fine now.

I have had an odd history with the virus.,,no recollection of having the chicken pox but two bouts of shingles as an adult.

My mother swore I never had the chicken pox. I remember her intentionally leaving me with my cousins and friends when they had it because she wanted me to get it as a child. I would anxiously await coming down with it each time but it didn't happen.

When I first got pregnant with my oldest, I told them I never had the chicken pox which was confirmed by a test. Shortly thereafter, there was a scare when someone in the office came down with it. While they thought the risk to the fetus was low, they weren't sure as I was in my first trimester. It was suggested that I consider the chicken pox vaccine which was still wasn't approved for the general population nor widely tested on pregnant women. I remember getting the call and saying I had special approval to get it but I had to decide that day. I sat at my desk and cried over the decision. I finally decided to pass and waited on pins/needles to see if I did the right thing.

Surprising to all, when pregnant with my son, I got shingles. It was not fun as they couldn't give me anything for it as I was pregnant. As @Bron357 mentioned, you can't get shingles without first having chicken pox. My doctor theorizes that I had such a mild case as a child that no one noticed and the immunity was gone before my test 2 years earlier. (Which would explain why my mothers attempts to exposed me as a child failed.) It is unlikely that I got chicken pox between kids as it is usually severe in adults.

The vaccine was first made publicly available when my kids were young. My pediatrician suggested that I wait as chicken pox was generally harmless for kids, a problem for adults and it was too new to know how long immunity from the vaccine would last. (Both my kids got the chicken pox - definitely noticeable but not severe cases).

I came down with the shingles again about 5 years ago (25 years after the first time). My doctor was able to prescribe something to contain it and it was a much milder case than the first time.

My doctor hasn't yet suggested I get the vaccine - at what age do they start recommending it?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reading with interest...I didn't realize the shingles vaccine had side effects so good to know as friends have suggested it. Glad that @missy and dh are doing fine now.

I have had an odd history with the virus.,,no recollection of having the chicken pox but two bouts of shingles as an adult.

My mother swore I never had the chicken pox. I remember her intentionally leaving me with my cousins and friends when they had it because she wanted me to get it as a child. I would anxiously await coming down with it each time but it didn't happen.

When I first got pregnant with my oldest, I told them I never had the chicken pox which was confirmed by a test. Shortly thereafter, there was a scare when someone in the office came down with it. While they thought the risk to the fetus was low, they weren't sure as I was in my first trimester. It was suggested that I consider the chicken pox vaccine which was still wasn't approved for the general population nor widely tested on pregnant women. I remember getting the call and saying I had special approval to get it but I had to decide that day. I sat at my desk and cried over the decision. I finally decided to pass and waited on pins/needles to see if I did the right thing.

Surprising to all, when pregnant with my son, I got shingles. It was not fun as they couldn't give me anything for it as I was pregnant. As @Bron357 mentioned, you can't get shingles without first having chicken pox. My doctor theorizes that I had such a mild case as a child that no one noticed and the immunity was gone before my test 2 years earlier. (Which would explain why my mothers attempts to exposed me as a child failed.) It is unlikely that I got chicken pox between kids as it is usually severe in adults.

The vaccine was first made publicly available when my kids were young. My pediatrician suggested that I wait as chicken pox was generally harmless for kids, a problem for adults and it was too new to know how long immunity from the vaccine would last. (Both my kids got the chicken pox -definitely noticeable but not severe cases).

I came down with the shingles again about 5 years ago (25 years after the first time). My doctor was able to prescribe something to contain it and it was a much milder case than the first time.

My doctor hasn't yet suggested I get the vaccine - at what age do they start recommending it?

Hi @lilmosun. So I don't know your age but once I got shingles and I researched it I realized there is no magic age but rather if you are at risk and the older you get the more at risk you are. So age is one risk factor. When will your insurance pay is the question. Ours pays at age 50. We waited just because there was a lot going on and there just wasn't time but I would have done it sooner if I could have. I got shingles at 48 and the doctor said to wait at least a year. Here I am more than 7 years later and we just got dose 2 of Shingrix. If your insurance will pay I say get it now. I am sorry you got shingles twice. So did Greg. Not a fun thing to have once let alone twice plus the aftermath can stay with you for a very long time and the vaccine helps lessen that risk.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results