carat
color
clarity

MRB 3 carat hunt is ON. Help...please?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PSers,

I've got a real assignment. I need to help my friend find her MRB, but she needs to purchase at a B&M. So I am planning to do searches at the online vendors, and see if we will be able to call one in. Thus unfortunately ACAs and BGDs are not an option. I would love to find her a stone that meets the strictest PS criteria.
1. Budget: $35K-$38K
2. color: H and above
3. 3 carats. If under by a little but a stone that fits the parameters, that is fine too.
4. Clarity: VS2 or above, open to SI1 if eye clean
5. Faint to NO fluor

Do you think it's possible? I'm going to start the search now and post ones that are contenders for the cut experts to evaluate. If this is unrealistic, she may need to change the criteria. Thank you so much all.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,
I found some, but discovered the pickings are slim with the initial criteria. Here are some, but I really need your opinions. There are concerns for each. I will say that given the budget, it was hard to find a 3 carat.

Please let me know your thoughts.

The 2.8 has a CA of 36.5. What is the impact of that being higher? Hmmm. Wait, I see the internal graining and surface graining. That bugs me. Does anyone have thoughts on internal and surface graining?

The 3.03 seems too steep. I think that's a no go.

The 2.72 also seems steep. And I don't like the 80% lower facet.

Open to any comments or critiques.
And probably, back to drawing board...

Attachments

• G VS2 2.8 JA.pdf
    157.7 KB · Views: 164
  • H SI1 3.03 BN.pdf
    652.3 KB · Views: 99
  • H VS1 2.72 BN.pdf
    647.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crafted by Infinity dealer: (you'd have to find out if CBI they has any 3 ct stones that could be called in)

The Jewelry Source
Ms Brenda Newman
www.jewelrysourceusa.com/
337 Main Street, El Segundo, CA 90245
United%20States.png
United States
Tel: (+1) 310-332-7110
Fax: (+1) 310-322-4636

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please give us the links to those stones. The way they are posted, we'd have to download to our computer to open them.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I rank the 2.8 G VS2 above the H SI1 in terms of cut. But the 3.03 H SI1 is above 3.0c; I cannot say it is an ugly stone although it has obvious light leakage here and there. Cannot comment on the 2.7 H VS1

I would get the 2.8 G VS2 as long as it does not have detrimental light leakage, which is easy to find out if you view the stone with back lighting.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is kinda ok, a little deep. the others don't seem to work.
IMG_4582.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, on the first one. Pavilion angle greater than 41. You can see in the stone image it isn't cut well.

No, crown and pavilion angles not complimentary.

No on the G VS2, crown angle too high, likely would have some leakage.

Go back to your other thread. I think MissGotRocks was the first to give you the numbers you need to stay within.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please give us the links to those stones. The way they are posted, we'd have to download to our computer to open them.
Thanks DS. I am looking at it right now.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one is kinda ok, a little deep. the others don't seem to work.
IMG_4582.JPG

No, this one is not deep at all. The numbers are within the parameters which make it worth looking at.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, on the first one. Pavilion angle greater than 41. You can see in the stone image it isn't cut well.

No, crown and pavilion angles not complimentary.

No on the G VS2, crown angle too high, likely would have some leakage.

Go back to your other thread. I think MissGotRocks was the first to give you the numbers you need to stay within.

Yes, I agree DS. It is hard to stones within those parameters, even when I input them. I will go though the other suggestions from people here.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DS. I am looking at it right now.

Were the links that flyingpig posted the ones to the stones you posted? I was commenting on his links!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...g-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-3152650

If this was eye clean, could this be nice right? sigh...surface graining, but maybe still worth a look.

I doubt the surface graining is an issue since the polish is excellent. This might be a good one to look at.

If you want to go the CBI route.

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD8966

Wink will send out the diamond to any CBI dealer.

Wink's a dealer, too. He just has all the inventory listed. I don't think he is the keeper of the entire CBI inventory. (If I am wrong, he can correct me, but I think he has the whole inventory list just like any of their affiliate jewelers do.) It's irrelevant anyway because the friend is upgrading through her own jeweler.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt the surface graining is an issue since the polish is excellent. This might be a good one to look at.

Wink's a dealer, too. He just has all the inventory listed. I don't think he is the keeper of the entire CBI inventory. (If I am wrong, he can correct me, but I think he has the whole inventory list just like any of their affiliate jewelers do.) It's irrelevant anyway because the friend is upgrading through her own jeweler.

Thanks DS. Another one we can look at.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't go lower than excellent on symmetry. The second one may not be clean enough with those types of inclusions, but there's no way to know without images. One SI1 that was posted above looked clean because it had twining wisps.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't go lower than excellent on symmetry. The second one may not be clean enough with those types of inclusions, but there's no way to know without images. One SI1 that was posted above looked clean because it had twining wisps.
Can I ask what is the concern with the symmetry if the numbers all work?

Yeah, the second SI1 is hard because of all the inclusions.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent symmetry is just an indicator of higher cut quality. I'd want triple excellent. We just don't know what the issue is to cause it to be graded very good.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this one and wanted to know your thoughts. She some flexibility at the upper end for the right stone. She wouldn't mind a D.

IMG_4585.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results