shape
carat
color
clarity

Mozambique "Paraiba" Tourmaline identity help?!

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Around 6 years ago I purchased these 2 Mozambique "Paraiba" Tourmaline stones from the Website Gem Collector the Green one weighs 0.65ct & the Blue 0.55ct - I paid around £80 a piece - I checked Gem Collector recently & the Mozambique Paraiba has sky rocketed in price & the quality has dropped significantly the stones currently available are all lack luster.

So I'm asking all Paraiba/Cuprian Tourmaline Aficionados to evaulate the images provided below & offer your thoughts on if you think it could be "Paraiba" Type Material? I know the old adage you get what you pay for lol & I did only pay £80 a piece so I shouldn't expect much

I know it's a hard task to go on just images alone lol I took the pics by the Window with some Sunshine breaking through the Clouds

To me they Glow & certainly have a Neon Colour but I'm just a Layperson lol the Blue one is Checkerboard Faceted & does have some Clarity issues but the Green one is my Favourite & to the naked eye it's Flawless.

I obviously mistrust the Gem Collector Prefix of Paraiba but would it be worth sending them off to have them properly checked? I am definitely having the Green Stone set into a Ring so I'd like thoughts on whether it's worth it or not?

inCollage_20200210_182827052.jpg
AirBrush_20200210190750.jpg

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They look genuine to me. Technically if you want to nitpick neither is a paraiba as they're not from the associated region in brazil, but you could get a lab report saying they are 'copper bearing tourmalines'.

I don't think it is worthwhile though. As african material which is not highly saturated, and is under 1 ct has definitely risen steeply in price but it still doesn't break the bank. So while they may have doubled in value while you have been holding onto them, it is not like they are worth a small fortune each. Given the cost associated with a lab report I would probably just elect to set them in a ring with plenty of protection (a rose gold and daimond halo would really make the colours pop! Maybe see if you can find mochiko's ring as an inspiration) and admire them! They're gorgeous, congrats :).

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
They look genuine to me. Technically if you want to nitpick neither is a paraiba as they're not from the associated region in brazil, but you could get a lab report saying they are 'copper bearing tourmalines'.

I don't think it is worthwhile though. As african material which is not highly saturated, and is under 1 ct has definitely risen steeply in price but it still doesn't break the bank. So while they may have doubled in value while you have been holding onto them, it is not like they are worth a small fortune each. Given the cost associated with a lab report I would probably just elect to set them in a ring with plenty of protection (a rose gold and daimond halo would really make the colours pop! Maybe see if you can find mochiko's ring as an inspiration) and admire them! They're gorgeous, congrats :).

Thank-You so much for advice, I'm glad to hear someone else think they are Copper Bearing stones lol the Glow IRL is amazing - I think your totally right about the Lab Report it wouldn't be worth it in the long run especially being under 1ct

These Stones were my first ever CS Purchase lol when I saw how much Paraiba & Cuprian Tourmaline was fetching I thought it was too good to be true lol especially as Gem Collector is part of an TV Shopping Network we all know they aren't very reputable with Facts or correct Prefixes for Gems lol

I think I'll definitely be setting them together in a Bypass design, Thank-You so much for your help & input its much appreciated!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Actually, being from Paraiba, Brazil is not a prerequisite for a neon blue copper bearing tourmaline to be considered “ Paraiba” by the labs or most of the trade. For example, this is what I would consider top Mozambique Paraiba.

To the OP, your stones are pretty but not particularly neon. However, prices for even less neon copper bearing blue (not so much green), are skyrocketing from what I’ve seen.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Actually, being from Paraiba, Brazil is not a prerequisite for a neon blue copper bearing tourmaline to be considered “ Paraiba” by the labs or most of the trade. For example, this is what I would consider top Mozambique Paraiba.

To the OP, your stones are pretty but not particularly neon. However, prices for even less neon copper bearing blue (not so much green), are skyrocketing from what I’ve seen.

Interesting, I did not know they'd picked that terminology.

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Yikes!! Mine most definitely AREN'T Neon lol compared to the *Real* Paraiba material I think I was seeing what I wanted to Believe lol *Sigh* :cry2:

I'm just glad to have some validation that mine are/could be Copper Bearing I bought them so cheap I doubted they could be "Genuine" Paraiba/Copper Bearing stones - but looking at what real top grade Paraiba is it makes sense why I bagged them so cheap lol

Thank-You so much for all the information @T L & @qubitasaurus
it's greatly appreciated the whole Paraiba debate is very confusing well to me anyways its always nice to have expert opinions =)2

Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re still very fortunate to get them so inexpensive. There’s so much hype around the copper bearing status, that vendors charge an arm and a leg for mediocre stones, and stones that aren’t even In the blue family, just because they have copper. It’s quite ridiculous. You have very pretty stones and I think they're worth setting. I can see a bypass design.

Cosmetologist

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank-You @T L it's reassuring to hear that especially from a PS Veteran like yourself!

I totally agree the Hype is ridiculous sadly so many unscrupulous Vendors mislead uneducated Buyers with the Prefix Paraiba I was one of those uneducated buyers I'm just glad in my case it worked out!

What Colour Gold would you recommend to really make the Colours Pop?

Last edited:
Reactions: T L

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank-You @T L it's reassuring to hear that especially from a PS Veteran like yourself!

I totally agree the Hype is ridiculous sadly so many unscrupulous Vendors mislead uneducated Buyers with the Prefix Paraiba I was one of those uneducated buyers I'm just glad in my case it worked out!

What Colour Gold would you recommend to really make the Colours Pop?

Rose gold!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results