shape
carat
color
clarity

Moving Wedding Date *up by a year!?*

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Hey there! So, DF and I come up with a dilema in our 'wedding planning', so to speak. As in, deciding whether to move our wedding date up to this fall instead of next fall. (Married in 2010 instead of 2011 ). We have not sent out anything, etc. yet. We are in the process of 'finding' everything, as in, a venue.
So, let me backup and explain, and, my question to yall is what your thoughts are on this. Can we do it? We are both pretty confident that we can pull it off, but I (we) still have some doubts, so I thought, Ah! I will ask the PS group-they can help! ;-) Love. :)

So, here goes:
We have been looking for venue in SC that will fit our budget (small!) and fit our 'style', which is outdoor, southern 'plantation' feel. So naturally, looking at some plantation houses. After much searching and shaking of heads at prices that were astronomically too high for us to afford, a friend of mine (owner of a local coffee shop and caterer ) mentioned she knows of an old plantation house that has been remodeled by a couple of guys and is currently their home, for sale ($1M), but that she knows them well and the house used to be in her family, etc. etc. so ties were there. So, talked with them, they were open to the idea. I went and saw an event she catered there, took some great pics, loved the place, and so does DF.

So, anyway, long story short, we are in the process of discussing prices, dates, etc.
Our first priority is the fact that the place is for sale, so what if it sells. Talked briefly about a 6-month contract after they sell it etc. etc. So that is a possibility, but if it sells tomorrow, 6-m. could go by and with our original date of next fall in 2011, it would be too late.

Throwing around a few other contract sort of deals, but at the end of the day, it boils down to if we could move our wedding date to be able to ensure this place was a go.
And, as we all agree on, a lot can happen with this place in a year, esp. for a place like this that is for sale, they are thinking about if it does not sell to perhaps hold events there (after we talked, they mulled it over and thought it would be a good idea to do with the house if they don't sell it, decide not to sell, etc. etc. it goes on and on ), but we = guinea pigs for their 'events' future if they go that route.

(Hence, perhaps a price neg. or trade-off deal with the price, so again, yet another reason we need to get on the ball about this and A). Make a decision on this place so if they do decide to do events, we would be in and set on a price before they came up with something set (that would prob. end up being too high for us to afford ), B). Decide on a date, with the earlier the better for ensuring this place will still be available in the remodeled-era condition (with era furniture, etc. etc.) it has now, etc. )

So, just some thoughts, advice, etc. on all this would be greatly appreciated, in addition to what you think about moving our date up a year. Is it too late already to send out invites for this fall, or to plan/etc. etc. for this fall. We want to do it during a green season, so usually up through Nov. stays pretty green here.)

Our original date idea was Oct.(or Nov) 2011.

Another reason, I forget to add earlier, was our original plan was that we would wait until I grad. college, which was May '11, now going to be Aug. '11. And, as we think about it now, it really is not that big of a deal as it was when we first got engaged. We live together and have gotten more and more comfortable with the idea of an earlier wedding. Almost thinking it would be good to go ahead and do it now. Also, after I grad. there will be lots of work going on as far as possibly moving, vet school work, interning, jobs, etc. so that will be some big stuff going on there.

The only hitch is that if we moved it to this fall, I would need to be able to work around, more or less, my fall '10 college classes. Mmmmmm,........

Another good thing though, as a last little note here ;-), is that the friend who has the coffee shop/catering/connection to the house/the guys who own the house, is within a 'stone's throw' from my house, and the plantation house is about 5 minutes from my house, so it is all very convenient to our house, so if I did have to balance studies with wedding work, I think it would be do-able b/c everyone would be so close by.

Thanks, I think that's it.

-Em
1.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
EmDressage, I think that you could definitely plan a wedding by this fall, and that you should do whatever you and your fiance want to do.

I don''t feel like that''s much help, but that''s all I got!
1.gif

brown_eyes

Shiny_Rock

Planning wise a 5-6 month time period is plenty. My engagement was/is 6 months and it took us a good 2-3 weeks to set a date. I have never felt overwhelmed (getting married in 8 days!). Things you will need to concentrate on if you do move up your date...

1. the dress (if you order it could take 4 months to get it in, maybe more)

2. the guest list and all the addresses (you want this ready for when you get your invites)

3. the invites (since these are typically sent out 2 months in advance you might want to start picking them out)

With everything else you may not get exactly the vendors you want for flowers or photography, etc, but there''s a good chance you will. I got all of my first choice vendors.

I say go for it. It sounds like the perfect way to get your dream wedding on your budget.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Em! My fiance and I just went through a similar thing.

We moved our original November 12, 2011 date to October 10, 2010 just a couple of weeks ago. So I went through the whole "Will we be able to plan everything in only 5 months?" question. I did a lot of frantic emailing to venues to see if they still had 10-10-10 open. With it being a popular date, not many places were available, including our original first choice.
7.gif
But one main thing that we changed was the guest list - we cut it down by A LOT, so we could now include smaller venues that had to be discounted previously.

Anyways, what I''m trying to say is that I think you and your fiance could totally plan your wedding for this fall instead. It just depends on what things are important to you, like the details. I''m sure it''ll be harder for you to plan it while still in school, but I''m sure you''ll be able to figure it out!

I''d say, if you''ve thought it over and want to move the date, go ahead and do it! Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Time wise you are fine! We planned my small and intimate wedding in 10 weeks (and only around two of that involved actually planning). As long as you have the venue...you are fine (we picked our date/weekend before checking with our desired venue but it was off season and still new to the wedding hosting scene so no problems - and extremely, extremely affordable).

It just means being a bit more flexible and creative about things(i.e. you may need to get a dress that does not take so long to deliver - or find a sample dress as I did)

No regrets here for having such a short planning period - I cannot imagine how people plan these things out for months or years - we just wanted to be married!

If you and your fiance want it, you can certainly do it!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I think you should go for it!!
36.gif

Seriously, there is plenty of time to arrange a wedding by oct/nov this year. Also with the points you described with the venue between this year and next, i say go for this year, it sounds like you have come across an amazing oportunity to have your wedding at your ideal venue, for a price that you can afford... don''t pass it up!!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I totally think it''s doable to plan a wedding in 6 months. My total engagement is 9 months long, and within about a month or so of getting engaged I had the venue, photographer, food, colors, decor planned, or top choice(s) of invitations. Now, not all of that has been ordered, because I figured I should wait awhile since my wedding is not until November, but if I had needed to it was definitely very possible. So if you and your fiance are ready to be married in 2010, go for it!

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for such encouraging words, I really think that this is going to be the way to go. I don''t think I want to wait another year, anyway. Ha-ha.
Thank you brown_eyes as well for the list, that is VERY helpful. Good to focus me a bit!
Seriously though, it''s so good to get the confidence to go for it!
35.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
YAY! Glad to hear you''re thinking of going for it. I''m a huge believer in short-ish engagements. Why let the whole wedding take over for a year and a half when you can be married instead? (Not trying to knock anybody that has a long engagement, they''re just not my cup of tea.)

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2010 9:28:49 AM
Author: lilyfoot
EmDressage, I think that you could definitely plan a wedding by this fall, and that you should do whatever you and your fiance want to do.

1.gif

exactly this :)

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2010 6:08:55 PM
Author: Maevie

Date: 5/14/2010 9:28:49 AM
Author: lilyfoot

1.gif

exactly this :)
My thoughts exactly as well.

DH and I planned our small botanical garden wedding in 1month (although I must say we were VERY lucky that our preferred venue was available due to cancellation). I think your timeline gives you plenty of time for a gorgeous wedding!!!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/14/2010 10:34:39 AM
Author: hawaiianorangetree
I think you should go for it!!
36.gif

Seriously, there is plenty of time to arrange a wedding by oct/nov this year. Also with the points you described with the venue between this year and next, i say go for this year, it sounds like you have come across an amazing oportunity to have your wedding at your ideal venue, for a price that you can afford... don''t pass it up!!

DITTO!

i''ve been engaged since last august & planning a theoretical wedding this fall. only a month ago did we decide on an actual date (sept 18 ''10) and just yesterday did we get a reception venue. granted, i did have my dress ordered since feb. but that''s easy to work around; there are samples & some stores sell off the rack. invites, start getting addresses now; that does take a bit! doable, the venue sounds amazing, go for it!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results