shape
carat
color
clarity

movie recommendations for the holidays

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
don''t know about you guys, but over the holidays, DH and I spend a lot of time in front of the tv. come to think of it, we spend all our evenings and weekends in front of the tv.
3.gif

ANYWAY, I was wondering if anyone can recommend any good movies to watch during the holidays (does not have to be holiday related)? it can also be movies that are coming out now because we can download them off the internet (this is completely legal where I live, so please do not think I am condoning criminal activity).

we watched DISTRICT 9 this weekend and thought it was really good. it had a good balance between story and special effects, unlike the new TERMINATOR which speant so much time on special effects that you had no idea what the story was anymore.

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
Well the latest harry potter movie comes out tomorrow :) *dance*

Hmmm I''ve heard that The Blind Side is REALLLLLY good! Haven''t seen it myself though
Also I liked New Moon a lot but once again I''m a harry potter/twilight junkie
DH and I are planning to see the The Princess and The Frog soon, looks really good
Also I am wanting to see Men Who Stare At Goats :)

CDNinNYC

Ideal_Rock
DH and I just saw "Up in the Air" with George Clooney and Vera Framiga last night. It was really good, so I'd recommend that one. The director is the same one who did Juno and Thank You for Smoking.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
If you haven''t seen them yet, these are fun:

Couples Retreat
The Taking of Pelham 123
Fast & Furious
Four Christmases
The Hangover
The Young Victoria (comes out next week, I think)
Brothers
Up in The Air
Everybody''s Fine

Another idea and one DH and I love to do is download shows to watch instead of watching them week by week.

Our current favorites are:

Californication
True Blood
The Office
Eastbound and Down
Grey''s Anatomy
Ugly Betty
Nip/Tuck

Have fun!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
this time of year i''m all about christmas movies :)
i''m about to watch "Christmas in Connecticut" (which i highly recommend), then maybe "White Christmas," "Scrooged," and, of course "Elf!"

what types of movies do you all like, noelwr? i watch a lot of movies (what else is an unemployed girl to do), so i might be able to offer more suggestions if you like.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
The Blind Side is one of the best movies I have seen in a while.

I am currently watching Elf, it''s goofy but it''s on TV almost everyday and I love it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 7:13:50 PM
Author: Blair138
The Blind Side is one of the best movies I have seen in a while.

I am currently watching Elf, it''s goofy but it''s on TV almost everyday and I love it.
Two fabulous movies.
I could watch Elf on repeat for an entire week straight.

Winslet

Shiny_Rock
LOVE ACTUALLY.

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
thanks everyone! I shall add UP IN THE AIR and BLIND SIDE to my list.

Mrs. Smurfy, I''ve seen the new Harry Potter and it is good. NEW MOON is on my list and I will try THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS. It looks like it''s got a good cast.

wannaBMrsH, I''ve seen most of those in your list, but I''ve noted down 2012 and UP IN THE AIR. regarding tv shows, we watch them all the time so we are up to date on all the shows and unfortunately not many new episodes air in December. however, I never heard of EASTBOUND AND DOWN and I see it''s created by Will Ferrell so we''ll give that one a shot.

lulu66, I hope CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT is nothing like HAUNTING IN CONNECTICUT! my favorite x-mas movie is MUPPETS CHRISTMAS CAROL. I can''t wait to see this year''s A CHRISTMAS CAROL but think I have to go to the cinema to catch it in 3D. I mostly like comedies or a good action movie. I do not like horrors. and I hate any sad story that makes me weep like a baby, so I am staying away from LOVE HAPPENS.

Morgie44

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVED the Blind Side! Precious is also supposed to be v. good

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
I watch White Christmas and Love Actually every year at this time.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
The Ref! Love that one. Also, if you like old movies, We''re No Angels with Humphrey Bogart is FABULOUS.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We saw the Blind Side while my family was down here for Thanksgiving, and it was really good. I''d definitely recommend it!

We want to see Invictus, and that opens soon I think. I want to see Everyone''s Fine or Everybody''s Fine (whatever it''s called) too.

What''s the one with Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin? That looks pretty good.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/7/2009 4:04:34 PM
Author: lulu66
this time of year i''m all about christmas movies :)

i''m about to watch ''Christmas in Connecticut'' (which i highly recommend), then maybe ''White Christmas,'' ''Scrooged,'' and, of course ''Elf!''

what types of movies do you all like, noelwr? i watch a lot of movies (what else is an unemployed girl to do), so i might be able to offer more suggestions if you like.

I LOVE Christmas in Connecticut! It''s funny, except for one friend, no one I know has heard of this one. I didn''t know it was so obscure! I also like The Bells of St. Mary''s (another old one).

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for Love Actually, if you''re looking for a holiday-themed rental. Though a bit sappy, it''s a wonderful movie and delightfully funny. FI and I watched it last night for the billionth time. It never gets old!

"Let''s get the $hit kicked out of us by love!"
9.gif

I love the music in Love Actually, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results