shape
carat
color
clarity

Mothra by Leon Mege

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The answer to the question I never knew I had: What do tummy aches and sparklies have in common :lol-2: @Sprinkles&Stones I’m cackling here, thank you :bigsmile:

Y’know, I hadn’t seen anything like it either really. Outside of maybe some museum exhibits? But they don’t count, you can’t touchy-feely anything. And I hadn’t ever seen nice moonstones before either, or black-black jade… Or actually even other pics of the inspiration ring!! I just fell so hard for that one photo!! But let's just say that I know taking this to anyone but Leon would not have ended well for me :lol:

- - - - -

@yennyfire!! Thank you love :love: (And OMG, it’s been so long since I’ve seen you on here!!!! :appl: ❤️)

- - - - -

@Diamond Girl 21 Thank you!! :bigsmile:

- - - - -

@RunningwithScissors Thank you so much!! :love:

I really haven’t done much custom work the last few years, this project used up the entirety of my thinking quota :halo: No regrets, of course, I’ve been riding the high of fruition for several days now and I really can’t imagine another piece feeling as satisfying! But… It definitely took a lot more mental effort than I’d anticipated going in, if you’d asked me what I anticipated when going in.

Leon did all of his own design work for it, and I know Rachel sorted most of the stones - including the masses of melee for the moth wings. I believe he had his workshop do some of the implementation, like the bulk of the wax carving, and actually mounting the stones, but both Leon and Rachel were very very hands-on throughout this project - I feel like they were probably happy to have something more Out There than usual work on ::)

My next couple of projects are all straight off the shelf. Zero effort outside of clicking a payment link every so often. But there’s a fair bit of other stuff going on in my real world right now, with work and family health, so I’m looking forward to an occasional low-effort bling fix :bigsmile:

- - - - -

@DorotheaBrooke Thank you! ::)

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kim N!! So it seems like it's going to be gloomy and grey for the next epoch here, and it's currently snowing... This is the best I could do I'm afraid!

The material looks textured up close - it's just how it looks though, it feels totally flat and smooth - and those little specs all over that look like dust, they're actually golden IRL and they glint as the light moves over them, it's very subtle but I think it's a really pretty effect :love: But the bangle looks glossy *black black* in every other type of lighting! Or actually even in this same lighting from just a little further away ::)

1671009897285.png

Oh, I love that! :love: A golden shimmer that you get to see some of the time. I'm envisioning it like fairy dust to go along with the ethereal nature of the moonstone motifs. Thank you so much for taking the time to photograph it for me!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Patty Thank you!! ::)

- - - - -

Thank you so very much @Vera W!! That’s so kind of you!! ❤️

(And okay I’m freeing my inner five year old for a sec - Vera did you see my WF eternity in the pics!? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

- - - - -

@Petalouda Thank you so much!! :love:

It’s unreal. It’s unbelievably beautiful in-person. And I know that my bar for saying that is higher than it used to be. Really, even as happy as I am with my photos, none could ever capture the effect of adding sparkle to the mix - it’s just mesmerizing :love:

And your wish for good health is timely, I’ll go ahead and pocket that too ::)

- - - - -

@kathley Thank you!! :bigsmile:

- - - - -

@oncrutchesrightnow Oh. That’s a beautiful image :love: Thank you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: @Ann I was fully expecting a bubblewrap fiesta, I read the stories on here, way back when :bigsmile: But I only got one quad-folded little bubblewrap square… Granted, right now I’ve got it nestled nice and cozy in some slices off an old memory foam mattress top, which is probably worse, so… :lol-2:

And thank you!! :bigsmile:

- - - - -

@LLJsmom You are so incredibly sweet :love:

Okay, so I can’t say how long thread took me to write up because that would destroy any rep I might’ve got for quick wit :lol: But I really am surprised - in the best way!! - that so many people appear to have actually read it all! Like, sometimes I go back through my own threads and even I can’t be bothered to read it all :twisted2:

Thank you. You’re one of those people without whom this experience wouldn’t have been the same. :love:

- - - - -

@Mary Queen of Scotch Thank you!! ❤️ To mostly reserve commentary to this post in this thread - succinct, gratifying, and hopefully heebie-jeebie-free :bigsmile:

- - - - -

@daisygrl Thank you! So, um, that’s a decent description of a good chunk of my day… :halo:

- - - - -

@Rfisher ‘Course not :))

Leon traced another cuff that fits well and the jade was carved to match in size and shape. My wrist is a little bit pear shaped (avocado shaped? :lol:) - thumb side is a touch flatter. And one side of the cuff “bulges” a wee bit more than the other so I’ll wear the bigger-bulge end opposite the thumb. I can wear it on my right arm as well but it’s tighter than I like. But I’m right-handed and I tend to avoid bracelets on that wrist anyway!

My wrists and forearms and fingers - all of me except my waist, really :lol-2: - tends to be stay pretty much the same through weight fluctuations and temperature changes, and nothing's changed meaningfully in the past fifteen years so I'm cautiously optimistic that current fit will work for a good long time... But the bangle does have a little extra depth in case reaming is required in future ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie I can't wear jade bangles - one bang on a table during a drunken night out and it will be gone!

All 3 RHRs of mine have thick shanks so that they cannot be bent if I slap my hand on a table!

DK :lol-2:
If I *ever* end up at a bar with this one - that would mean *so* many things have gone so very wrong :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yowsers! I would absolutely adore Mothra as a brooch! The flower is also lovely, but Mothra sings to my heart—I would wear it over my heart. :kiss2: :D

Leon originally asked if I wanted the butterfly to be removable!! But moving parts are always less sturdy, and for something that big and protuberant and delicate... It seemed unwise. But I do kinda wish it was anyway!

But if it was removable where else would I wear it? I've got a pair of brooches on the books with Sako - well, when I have money again one day :lol: Those will be shoe brooches, for boots and ankle straps and possibly purses, and I want them to be built *solid* - chunky and hefty and worry-free. Maybe in the hair somehow? If it was smaller and didn't weigh as much?

Actually - those ladybugs would make the cutest cufflinks :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couple more in-the-spotlights quickies from earlier tonight ::)

STILL_FLOWER.jpg

STILL_MOTH.jpg

The moth pic/video are kinda neat I think, in bright lighting (spotlights, sunlight) the single cuts inside the wings look wayyy less Bright White Dot than the full cuts in the outline. They're all the same body colour - all the diamonds are D/E/F. (Similar sizes, too.) The videos, those aren't great, they're too compressed, but the single-cut melee definitely do have more coloured light return IRL!

TIL that camera flash does wild things to moonstones o_O

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Leon originally asked if I wanted the butterfly to be removable!! But moving parts are always less sturdy, and for something that big and protuberant and delicate... It seemed unwise. But I do kinda wish it was anyway!

Oh my I would totally wear it as a brooch, pendant or ring. Probably try to make it all 3 along with the flower.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couple more in-the-spotlights quickies from earlier tonight ::)

STILL_FLOWER.jpg

STILL_MOTH.jpg

The moth pic/video are kinda neat I think, in bright lighting (spotlights, sunlight) the single cuts inside the wings look wayyy less Bright White Dot than the full cuts in the outline. They're all the same body colour - all the diamonds are D/E/F. (Similar sizes, too.) The videos, those aren't great, they're too compressed, but the single-cut melee definitely do have more coloured light return IRL!

TIL that camera flash does wild things to moonstones o_O

That didn’t even occur to me! The full cuts v the single cuts. The single cuts established the outline. How cool is that?

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

The flower reminds me of plumeria—one of my all-time faves! So gorgeous. And I love how the wee ladybugs are different colors. Ladybugs are another fave of mine—so much so that "bug" was incorporated into my childhood nickname. :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo, I've just been staring for awhile, back and forth.
I've decided, this is above my pay grade. Words fail.
This is high art.
@yssie make up something erudite that I'd say. You're so much better at it.

[insert here]

We really are in Wonderland.
Just, shh, I'm looking.:shock:
tumblr_19bea38acf7f631a4a514067f76f9691_b1d05b50_640.gif
:love:

So Through the Looking Glass used to be my favourite book. I distinctly remember the first time I understood that the poem at the end actually spells out Alice Pleasance Liddell - I was ten, same age as Real Life Alice was when Real Dude Behind Lewis Carroll wrote a book to her. About her. Whatevs. Back then I was thoroughly enchanted by the idea.

But, like, the story really is lunatic. Some parts are more lunatic than others, sure, but there's nothing that's not lunatic. So it isn’t really a stretch to imagine that its author might have been a bit lunatic too - I feel like you’ve got to be at least a little bit mad to let your imagination run *that* wild. Right? All the much-less-enchanting controversy that I’ve ever read about Dodgson, it can literally all be explained...

Well - where was I going with this - I don’t even know. I refuse to watch the live action remake. Nope, no way no how. That original animation captures everything I've always loved about the story so perfectly, I don’t ever want anything replacing the mental imagery :love: I feel pretty bah humbug about most movie remakes though.

I’ll say this, I’m looking at my weather forecast and And the sun is like a toy balloon is dead on for the next two weeks, if the cats got hold of the balloon ;(

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@88_star OMG thank you!! ::)

I adore rose cuts and full cuts juxtaposed!! I’ve not seen rose cuts with single cuts before though, and now I’m wondering why because that seems like a more chronologically compatible combo? :eh: I would’ve loved baby rosies for the insides of the wings but getting enough saturation for “shades of blue” with such small stones wouldn’t have been realistic :(sad I even considered mixing pro-pavilion blues and no-pavilion diamonds. But. Y’know. Going for my interpretation of the garden, not the squiffed-up caterpillar’s :lol-2:

(Will not get angry about AGTA again. Will not get angry about AGTA again. Will not…)

That rando bug - apparently it’s not a ladybug at all, it’s an Asian Lady Beetle, and Asian Lady Beetles are nuisances that bite!! :errrr: So much for what I thought was an unexpected and delightful visitor :lol:

- - - - -

@tyty333 Thank you so much!! :bigsmile:

- - - - -

@Piper70 Thank you!! ❤️

To be honest I know I'm on the extreme side even for PS! In terms of collecting without prioritizing usability. But I don’t collect anything else in the way of art. I mean, I’ve got some paintings I love, but none are the least bit valuable. Same with sculptures, books, clothing and accessories... So for me, I think jewellery ends up taking the place of a few different art media.

So I frequently remind my husband that he’s very lucky I think of bling as umbrella coverage, and that I don’t have a dozen disparate hobbies :bigsmile:

- - - - -

@cushioncutnut Thank you!!

I was just saying to someone else, for how long I’ve been working with Leon now - I’ve only actually bought five pieces! An enviable clock:count ratio :lol:

If a JAR exhibit ever comes back to town I am totally wearing this there. That’s the one exception I’ll make to all of my bedroom-only yak. :halo: :sun::bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love:

So Through the Looking Glass used to be my favourite book. I distinctly remember the first time I understood that the poem at the end actually spells out Alice Pleasance Liddell - I was ten, same age as Real Life Alice was when Real Dude Behind Lewis Carroll wrote a book to her. About her. Whatevs. Back then I was thoroughly enchanted by the idea.

But, like, the story really is lunatic. Some parts are more lunatic than others, sure, but there's nothing that's not lunatic. So it isn’t really a stretch to imagine that its author might have been a bit lunatic too - I feel like you’ve got to be at least a little bit mad to let your imagination run *that* wild. Right? All the much-less-enchanting controversy that I’ve ever read about Dodgson, it can literally all be explained...

Well - where was I going with this - I don’t even know. I refuse to watch the live action remake. Nope, no way no how. That original animation captures everything I've always loved about the story so perfectly, I don’t ever want anything replacing the mental imagery :love: I feel pretty bah humbug about most movie remakes though.

I’ll say this, I’m looking at my weather forecast and And the sun is like a toy balloon is dead on for the next two weeks, if the cats got hold of the balloon ;(
Ruth.gif
Perfection.
The regard of slow dawning of skeeve that unites us.
We're all mad here, but we aren't savages.8-)
Though the storm is coming shortly, and I'm relatively apprehensive to the very real possibility that I'm out my favorite snacks.
Addendum: *Mostly.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ruth.gif
Perfection.
The regard of slow dawning of skeeve that unites us.
We're all mad here, but we aren't savages.8-)
Though the storm is coming shortly, and I'm relatively apprehensive to the very real possibility that I'm out my favorite snacks.
Addendum: *Mostly.
Slow dawning skeeve, indeed :lol-2:

And to imagine that just a hundred years and change before dear ol’ Dodgson’s society showered praises on his works and sensibilities Jonathan Swift was a couple inches left on my husband's wall map merrily modelling kiddy-canibalism :twisted2:
... This conversation is going places :lol:

Edit - Ugh, the best to you and your larder :???:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol! So nice to have such beautiful company right?

maybe something like below to prevent dust?

C20827DD-5891-4199-AE3F-DE17B1BC7F39.png D0AA38AC-C989-4988-B604-82632AC2820C.png

I like the idea of something like the second, with that curved holder inside…

I travel for work on short notice fairly frequently, so I need to be able to shove all my bling into the bank box quickly and un-fuss-ily - which means my bling storage is really geared toward “as protective as possible with as small a footprint as possible”. Sadly that requirement usually excludes anything pretty!! But… Yeah, I’d be perfectly fine gluing memory foam to the inside of a plastic container if that’s smallest and safest. I’ll splurge on new memory foam though :lol:

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ugh I should have known - we actually get a ton of those Japanese beetles in our (old farm) house especially when it starts to get colder and they try to come inside in search of warmer weather. Begone pests!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ugh I should have known - we actually get a ton of those Japanese beetles in our (old farm) house especially when it starts to get colder and they try to come inside in search of warmer weather. Begone pests!!!

Seriously. The little buggers know to avoid the woodstove cast iron when it’s going :???:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I’d be perfectly fine gluing memory foam to the inside of a plastic container if that’s smallest and safest. I’ll splurge on new memory foam though

A small Pelican case with pick-and-pluck foam (or whatever they call it)? They are amazing and super-customizable. The foam is scored into maybe 1cm cubes and you can just pluck them out with needle-nose pliers. Start by removing too few and keep test-fitting. If you way overshoot, you can buy another foam insert.

I did this for a camera when spouse became smitten with alpine kayaking and I wanted some commemorative photos but could not be counted on to stay in the kayak with 100% reliability. :lol-2:

You could get a slightly bigger one for your pistol plus Mothra!

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 11.32.49 PM.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LilAlex You’re a treasure. Thank you! Pre-perforated dense foam. This is exactly what I need. I’m buying #supplies. I’ll update here when what I’m thinking either works or doesn’t. :bigsmile:

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
It is absolutely GLORIOUS. I hope to see it in person one day, friend. <3

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Just saw this, exquisite. Should be in a jewelry exhibit. Reminds me of the JAR show at the MET years back.

Well done!!!

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Just want to say -- wow... wow... wow... This is an amazing piece of jewelry -- so exquisite -- belongs in a museum!

Thanks for sharing your journey -- I enjoyed reading every post : )

Happy Holidays

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Ack! @yssie I swear I thought I commented on this. I first read it in a haze after sinus surgery and then later though, wow, I had a really vivid dream that Yssie made this truly stunning creation….and came back to PS and said WHOA ok, not a dream….

My big question is: when do you start your next job as a designer for VCA???? Because I am *convinced* after watching this piece of art come to life that you absolutely could.

I don’t know where to begin raving about this piece. It is all just stunning, and as others have said, it is art. The contrast of the black against the moonstone and pave is perfect. The juxtaposition of the whimsical ladybugs and the serious grown up moth and flower….ahh!!! Somehow those are what just make this piece for me, and those are the pieces of the puzzle that would seem so difficult to get right. How did you nail it? I have absolutely no idea, only that you did.

My hope is that you will enjoy this piece for years, not only as art, but as something you will find wearable, even if it is not a typically wearable piece. Throw it on with a plain black dress and go to dinner!

Thank you for sharing this with us. I’m truly mesmerized.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Eli22 Thank you so much!! :love:

The ladybugs, so that was another part of the saga that I shortened a fair bit :halo:

Even once I came around to the idea of coral rather than pave - or maybe actually because I came round to the idea of coral rather than pave - I was picky picky.

Like. I picked out the exact shade of coral I wanted. (And the supplier emailed Leon to verify which cabs would be acceptable, and Leon emailed me to confirm... Poor fellows :lol:)
1670907247507.png
1670907257513.png

And then I wasn’t happy with the first ladybug carving, and I specified exactly how they needed to be shaped...

1670907326285.png

At one point - pretty early on - I’d asked for one ladybug to be open-winged and the other closed-winged. By some later point our plan had changed to closed-wings-only, but there was a miscommunication and this was the first pair Leon received (the bellows-body didn’t work for either of us!!) -

1670907377336.png

I’d also originally wanted the two ladybugs to be different somehow, and I decided that I wanted the differentiator to be size. So the first cuff had ladybugs that were ~10mm long and ~9m long - Leon though they should be bigger but I asked for them to be "real world scale" petite.

But then the original cuff was broken, and those two ladybugs couldn’t be detached, and we had to have new ones made. Three this time rather than two. And this time around I didn’t dictate anything, I just let Leon decide everything, and he made them all the same size (~11mm long, a bit bigger than before) but with slightly varying colours.

And not exactly super surprisingly - it really turned out much better his way!! The two originals were spaced so far apart on the cuff that you couldn't actually tell they were different in size. Which I hadn't considered. And having them bigger adds to the caricature effect anyway, and the colour difference is actually visible in-person from any angle or distance - so all in all this whole thing turned into Yet Another Example of me being glad I'd backed the heck off on the micromanaging and let the designer dictate the design :appl:

Edit - Here's a pic I tossed but it shows the ladybug colours pretty well ::)

YP DISPLAY2 copy.png

Wow! Your painstaking attention to detail = labor of love! The ladybugs turned out perfectly…I love the differences in shade and the final shape you (Leon) decided on!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late responses!! OMG, it’s been a lunatic week. Thank goodness for sparkle therapy.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Tonks Thank you!!

Y’know, I was thinking earlier, looking at it… (I’m still in that giddy #newpretty stage and it’s on my desk keeping me company whilst I work ::)) Quite literally every decision I made wherein I overrode Leon’s recommendation first time round, I un-vetoed for the second incarnation and I’m happier for having done so. Ten years ago I had a much higher opinion of my own design capability, honestly. But that was before I’d worked with people I could hand ideas off to and walk away sure that whatever they came up with would be nicer than anything I’d have envisioned myself :love: Even the bigger houses like VCA, I was so totally starstruck by the GMOP Rose de Noel this summer!! So very unremarkable horizontal, but then LLJsmom turned it vertical, the way it'd actually be worn, and suddenly that very unremarkable material transformed into vibrant and liquid mystery... So clever and unexpected.

So I have to be honest, if this project had relied primarily on my eyes and my sensibilities - I’m confident I’d have ended up with something beautiful. But I don’t believe it’d have been magical.
But then again, there was never any question of not going to Leon, given that he created the original ring, so… I suppose that all worked out for the best :bigsmile:

You’re totally right on the ladybugs. Seems like everyone feels the same way ❤️ And I swear, I seriously could *not* visualize it. Leon went to some lengths to get me to see past the pave. I’m so glad he did ::)

... I have - as of, like, last week - come to the new and provocative realization that Life Is Just Too Dang Short To Always Save Nice Things For Later. So contrary to everything I’ve said thus far in this thread, and contrary to basically everything I’d genuinely intended, I *will* be wearing and enjoying this piece. I’ll be making a point too.

Thank you. Thank you so much. :love:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
    Ultimate Valentine's Jewelry Gift Guide
    Ultimate Valentine's Jewelry Gift Guide - 02/05
    Valentine's Date Night Jewelry
    Valentine's Date Night Jewelry - 02/03
    Did You See January 2023's Jewels Of The Weeks?
    Did You See January 2023's Jewels Of The Weeks? - 01/28