shape
carat
color
clarity

Mothra by Leon Mege

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Leon sounds like a hoot to work with if you get his sense of humour. Plus he works magic with the metals. Really gorgeous.

Your rubellite earrings are beautiful too. I think almost everyone was too stunned by your bangle to comment on the earrings haha.

Will a watch case work for your bangle?
EDEFB291-FC51-4843-8821-F17066D94B7F.png 570CA64D-2905-4D83-BDA6-FB3B7DEE0858.png 490284D4-D88E-4B54-8A4A-BADF36FA26E9.png

Not to distract from this pure art - but I remember when Leon did not ship or supply his clients with boxes for their precious jewels :). My ER from him was wrapped in bubble wrap when I picked it up at Brinks, haha!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie I can't wear jade bangles - one bang on a table during a drunken night out and it will be gone!

All 3 RHRs of mine have thick shanks so that they cannot be bent if I slap my hand on a table!

DK :lol-2:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s not a size thing, the cuff is fitted exactingly to my left wrist shape and I have to twist it a very specific way round my forearm to remove it - it’s not going to slip off by itself. (As long as I never gain or lose more than maybe fifteen pounds :bigsmile:)

how is this accomplished? if I may ask?
more than just a circumference taken I’m assuming. or is it?

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Okay, I'm finally sitting down and had enough time to read through your entire journey. WHAT. A. JOURNEY. oh my. Okay I love the blue wing vs the not blue. The mixed cuts (I saw a similar paved piece on IG where they used rose and single cuts and I loved the effect too). The freaking arrows in the middle of the flower. The SBF moth body. That cute lil ladybug who found his giant friends. It looks so comfortable yet such a statement. Sorry you had to go through that crazy ordeal with AGTA damaging it (what in the world?!!!) but glad it was remade even better. After all, that is the very meaning of moths...transformation and change.

Congratulations on this amazing bracelet!!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
@SparklieBug Thank you!! It’s legit been such a trip. So many ups and downs and back-up-agains ❤️ Leon must be every bit as thrilled to see the end as I am :bigsmile:

1670924014502.png

Yowsers! I would absolutely adore Mothra as a brooch! The flower is also lovely, but Mothra sings to my heart—I would wear it over my heart. :kiss2: :D

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont even know what to say! Such amazing pieces...they look like they should be in a museum!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@HS4S_2 Thank you! :bigsmile:

- - - - -

@CircularBrilliant Thank you!!

It seriously took a full two days to sort through the pics :shock: Normally I end up taking maybe twenty from almost the same angle, and one or two will be nice - and then I switch angles or backgrounds or something and take twenty more - but this time I took more like fifty every time and forty were nice :lol:

It’s sitting next to me on my desk keeping my company @icy_jade-style while I finish up work :bigsmile:

- - - - -

That’s so kind of you @BarbBe, thank you so much! ❤️

- - - - -

@PreRaphaelite Thank you! :love:

Back in 2013/2014 I dragged my husband to the Jewels by JAR exhibit at the Met in NYC twice. I remember how I felt walking in, it was like stepping into some whole different world of magic - and seeing all those spectacles and daydreaming about being able to reach in and take one off its podium and put it on and keep walking...

I think if this bracelet had been sitting in one of those cases I’d have been just as enraptured by it as I was with everything else on display :love:

- - - - -

Thank you @CMN!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@maita13 Thank you!!

So this is probably super weird, but… I feel like I can really judge how strongly I feel about a piece by how easily I write about it on PS :read: Some pieces, I really have to work to find words for... Others like this little guy all but write about themselves and it really *feels* so different, the actual writing up the thread part. Well, after all of the wait what happened when prep anyway :bigsmile:

- - - - -

@Dandi Thank you!! :love:

- - - - -

@caolsen Thank you! Maybe this thread ends up being helpful to someone :))

- - - - -

@elle_71125 Eeeeep!! Thank you so so much!! :bigsmile:

Soooo this piece is actually really strange for me. If I’m being honest. Starting with the blue - I like blue, I like blue a lot actually, but blue doesn’t like me back unless it’s pale and greyish. The paler and greyer the more flattering. I do think this piece looks lovely on me - but partly because there’s so much going on that you don’t even notice the colour of the skin underneath :lol: The colours suit my husband’s (very pale pinkish) skin better than mine. But that's fine, whatever, he can take the win on colour, shape-wise *my* hand and forearm and elbow beat his hands down and I need everyone who reads this post to know that :lol-2:

And then the pave, I don't like pave!! I've never liked pave. So here I am with motifs that are positively dripping in pave, the moth definitely flew through the #PaveRinseCycle at least twice. And I’m salivating over every twinkle :twisted2:

I’d have had the the cheerful buzzing aplenty earlier this year!! Not honeybees but we had the biggest tubbiest sweetest bumbles!! (We also had wasps and hornets and yellowjackets, not sweet at all, but they’d ruin the imagery so let’s go ahead and ignore those inconveniences) :bigsmile:

- - - - -

@Sparkles88 Thank you!! ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slickk Thank you!! ::)

- - - - -

@Catmom Thank you!! And yes!!! Yes - it totally *is* right up your alley, you’d make a lovely Maid of the Mothra!! :bigsmile:

- - - - -

Thank you so much @whitewave ::)

- - - - -

You’re so sweet @lala646, thank you!!

I gotta be honest though, Leon deserves the lion’s share of credit for this one ❤️ Every decision he made turned out amazing, and every time I overruled his opinion it turned out to be better to have taken his recommendation! (And some things I asked for and he agreed with, I think those turned out amazing too :bigsmile:)

I 100% couldn’t do this project again. I didn’t understand the journey that I was in for when I first started it - if I had I’m honestly not sure I would’ve moved forward. I adore working with Leon but I absolutely hate the fact that something I commissioned has ended up cost him, financially ;( But Leon... Y'know, for all that he’s from Eastern Europe, he’s such a pacifist. Or maybe because of where he's from? He told me he didn’t want to even think about it any longer, because he’d end up hurting himself more by being angry and putting effort toward that anger. Me, I hold grudges... I offered to be angry for him, he accepted :lol:

Sigh. Well, clearly I’m not doing a very good job of keeping a lid on it. Thank you so much. For real. :love:

- - - - -

@YadaYadaYada Thank you!! ❤️

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Kim N!! So it seems like it's going to be gloomy and grey for the next epoch here, and it's currently snowing... This is the best I could do I'm afraid!

The material looks textured up close - it's just how it looks though, it feels totally flat and smooth - and those little specs all over that look like dust, they're actually golden IRL and they glint as the light moves over them, it's very subtle but I think it's a really pretty effect :love: But the bangle looks glossy *black black* in every other type of lighting! Or actually even in this same lighting from just a little further away ::)

1671009897285.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader Thank you so much! :bigsmile:

- - - - -

Thank you @nala! ::)

- - - - -

@stracci2000 Thank you!! :love:

- - - - -

@luvmysparklies Thank you!! And OMG yes, and this is 100% the end of this story!! :bigsmile:

- - - - -

@AntiqueSparkle Welllll for anything with fur and four legs and a tail - adoption odds are better than my husband would like, really :lol-2:

Thank you! ::)

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
Mothra is Magnificent! I am not creative or a collector so I am in awe of the vision and frankly, patience, that it took to achieve something so beautiful and unique. Your story telling kept me on the edge of my seat!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondyes OMG you are seriously the sweetest person, thank you so much :love:

And Leon said he wants to make exactly that, actually!! Another black bangle with ladybugs on it! No other motifs - just a handful of ladybugs crawling 'round. It’ll be so dang cute ::) Just passing it on, y’know, if you wanted :bigsmile:

The cuff - at the very beginning (back when I was still thinking rose gold bangle) Leon asked if I wanted the flower and butterfly to be removable and I said no. I figured this is going to be such a pointy, pokey, prickly piece as it is, they’ll be that much safer stuck tight to the band, right. And I think having them stuck down became a requirement rather than an option when we switched to the jade - the cuff is drilled all the way through for the two metal motifs to attach. And the metal motifs have long pegs underneath that go through the cuff, and the ladybugs are epoxied on ::)

Here's a better side view, back from one of my visits to Leon's office, the ladybugs are just tacked on with wax here -

1671016455745.png
(@LilAlex I lied about the pearls, I'm sorry :twisted2:)

So actually when we first went to the jade idea I was worried about having the flower just plopped onto the cuff - the moth has legs, it makes sense that it can "land" wherever it likes, but a flower doesn't just sprout out of nowhere, y'know? So that train of thought led me to asking for a white streak in the jade, to emulate some sort of root system -

1671016656670.png

But then I learnt that the thing about dark jade is that you can't actually see through the material at all, so you can't figure out what the veining will look like before it's cut - the cutter pretty much has to guess. So V1 had a couple faint coppery veins and splotches, no real "streaking", like my my second choice basically (which I was fine with):

1671016756002.png

But of course that broke! And the first remake had much stronger veining, which I liked, but that line down the middle, that thing went all the way around the cuff... Nope!!

1671017129402.png

And, I mean, the veining was stronger for sure but still not super strong, and my understanding is that this is about as strong as I'd ever get for this material (West Australia nephrite) *if* I wanted to keep the rest of it pitch black... And keeping the rest black was a no questions definite. So between the kinda-anaemic and super-unpredictable patterning - for the second remake I okay'd my third chioce. All black. Which is apparently much easier to accomplish!

Honestly though when I look at the finished cuff my eyes don’t search for a sensible root system after all. Like, the nonsensical-ness of having a flower sprouting out of nowhere doesn't even register, given everything else that's going on there :lol: So after all that the easiest choice worked out just fine!! :bigsmile:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eek-the image of Mothra slowly tipping over mildly freaked me out this morning!

If you want to take more upright photos, this stuff might work well:

B79DB18F-5995-4B3F-B55F-DB5D5F93EF55.jpeg

And-call me crazy-I think Mothra would look amazing displayed in a Glass Cloche with a lux base.

Oh good grief where were you a week ago when I was holding my breath and balancing with leaves?? :lol-2:

Th is awesome. I'm buying some right now for next time. I thought about using candle wax but that stuff always leaves that oil residue. Thanks for the rec!! :love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leon sounds like a hoot to work with if you get his sense of humour. Plus he works magic with the metals. Really gorgeous.

Your rubellite earrings are beautiful too. I think almost everyone was too stunned by your bangle to comment on the earrings haha.

Will a watch case work for your bangle?
EDEFB291-FC51-4843-8821-F17066D94B7F.png 570CA64D-2905-4D83-BDA6-FB3B7DEE0858.png 490284D4-D88E-4B54-8A4A-BADF36FA26E9.png

❤️ Leon is such a treasure, honestly :bigsmile: And thank you on the earrings!! Yeah, they kinda got lost on the proverbial page six, that's my fault though :halo:

I'm thinking about watch boxes too. I need something that has enough width and height clearance - turns out the width is pretty but I haven't found anything with a high enough rise just yet (25mm from the interior of the cuff). I can have something custom made if I need to but I'm hoping to not!

Re. Dust - Oh boy. Yeah I have a #story. I always clean pieces before I take any photos. Habit. And this thing had fingerprints all over, definitely needed to be cleaned first. So I do what I always do, I grab my repurposed-yoghurt-container-wash-tub and fill up with lukewarm water and a touch of dish soap and in we go. I specifically thought about the ladybugs and decided that the epoxy would do fine in tepid water for a short time. Y'know what I didn't think about?

So now I'm drying it off and I can *see* the moisture under those metal backed moonstones but there's no way I'm ever getting a paper towel or thread in there, and I need to hurry up and figure something out quick or it'll leave water spots :wall: I ended up making little cardboard hats for the ladybugs and using my travel hairdryer on the lowest heat setting to get the metal just hot enough to get rid of the moisture... Worked a charm (that time!!) but OMG I will never ever make that mistake again :oops2:

:lol:

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Re. Dust - Oh boy. Yeah I have a #story. I always clean pieces before I take any photos. Habit. And this thing had fingerprints all over, definitely needed to be cleaned first. So I do what I always do, I grab my repurposed-yoghurt-container-wash-tub and fill up with lukewarm water and a touch of dish soap and in we go. I specifically thought about the ladybugs and decided that the epoxy would do fine in tepid water for a short time. Y'know what I didn't think about?

Oh gosh yeah metal backs are a pain. I’m decidedly iffy about them even if they are supposed to make some coloured stones better looking.

My jeweller gave me a piece of chamois leather that works great for cleaning prints. Maybe you can try getting a piece to wipe your stuff? They last forever and work quite well.

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all the extra info! I love learning about this journey!

How about hot glue for holding the bracelet still? Works well for me and rings.

How about a can of air to deal with dust?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Ok and this is totally macabre but maybe an urn box would fit this bangle well?? Wednesday Adams would approve!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just WOW....great things come to those who wait! What a stunning, one of a kind, piece of art! Yssie your collection is magnificent. I see you outstaging everyone on the red carpet!!! Truly Magnificent!!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock

134ED769-D3D3-4DB8-B48C-74C908B1DEDA.jpeg

Honestly I think this box fits the bracelet stylistically. They are both unexpected in context. (Hope that doesn’t offend! )

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Soooo, I've just been staring for awhile, back and forth.
I've decided, this is above my pay grade. Words fail.
This is high art.
@yssie make up something erudite that I'd say. You're so much better at it.

[insert here]

We really are in Wonderland.
Just, shh, I'm looking.:shock:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
    Valentine's Date Night Jewelry
    Valentine's Date Night Jewelry - 02/03
    Did You See January 2023's Jewels Of The Weeks?
    Did You See January 2023's Jewels Of The Weeks? - 01/28
    Did You See January 2023's Throwback Thursdays?
    Did You See January 2023's Throwback Thursdays? - 01/25