shape
carat
color
clarity

Mother of the groom dress

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister would love your input on this dress. The wedding will be evening and upscale. Thoughts? Please be brutally honest! 972BA651-6E26-4211-8756-21AC5186056D.jpeg

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if it's evening i'd go with a longer dress, that same dress but down to the ankles would look good. above the knees combined with the short sleeves is a more casual look imho.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did she already buy it? Personally I think it’s busy with all the geometric patterns. I also don’t like the way the waist cuts her in half. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be unkind. Were there any other contenders?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it - I think with dark hose and the right accessories and hair-do it would be beautiful and appropriate for evening dressy wedding ... but I also think it might be worthwhile to find out what the mother of the bride is wearing -- if she's going long, I'd go long too.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evening + upscale = long formal dress.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Good points made. Find out what the MOB is wearing and that formal often means 3/4 or a floor length garment. And at the best of times, I am not a fan of a deep V necklines. JMHO

cheers--Sharon

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
for MOTG and upscale evening, it should probably be longer. How does your sister feel about the deeper vneck? I don't have the chesticles to pull off such stuff (one can dream....lol)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’d do at least a midi, but floor length dress is best for an upscale wedding. It looks too much like a cocktail dress to me

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if I thought the length would "pass" for the occasion, it's an unflattering dress imo for her (actually, I'm hard pressed to say who would be set off to advantage in this dress) -- and won't photograph well. There are much better choices out there for her!

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
But I like that cocktail dress. If I were her, I would keep it and wear it to the rehearsal dinner.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Follow the MOB’s lead.
I agree with the others regarding length, fabric and sleeve length.
I have similar body type so I know that v-necks are the most flattering for my squarish shoulders and bustline.
I think solid colors are more dressy than patterns.
Maybe even 3/4 sleeves? A694FFE3-EEAA-43CF-ABC3-6F5A8DE7209F.jpeg

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
-Agree with longer length as others have stated.

-Something with a slightly fuller skirt will balance her figure and give a more flattering hourglass silhouette.

-Not sure if the dress is black but some people object to that. A deep blue might be better. Check with the bride or mob to avoid inadvertent offense.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. How tall is your sister, nala? Petite Misses, and Petite Plus, sizes are generally intended for women between 4'10" and 5'4". But eveningwear is often cut longer, so even if she's somewhat taller than 5'4", a Petite may be fine -- and require no, or at least less of, a hem alteration than a long Misses evening gown/dress/skirt.

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations to your sister.
I was recently a mother of the groom for an evening affair. I wore a gown and so did many others. Here’s a pic of mine because I loved it so much then and still get compliments on it!!
62D7C968-056D-4D49-9CF9-59C37713B7FE.jpeg

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats to your sister and family! I agree that evening makes me think longer dress.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I was a MOG in November. Evening affair, I wore a long gown. 53BF1672-39D4-4F90-937C-9B468072EEC1.jpeg
I wore a knee length dress for the rehearsal dinner. Has she asked the MOB what she’s wearing? My daughter in laws mom and I are great friends so we went shopping for our event dresses together.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good lord, @MamaBear and @Slick1! Is PriceScope filled with gorgeous women, or what!! You both look fabulous!

Re the dress in question - I think the colors make her skin tone look very drab. I think she can do better for color, definitely. With black stockings and black pumps, jewelry, hair, makeup and a corsage - I I think it would look much more formal and totally sufficient from that perspective. But it's still going to look dull and, to my eye, a bit cheap looking. I think she'd be paying for a lot of beading that doesn't add any visual quality to the dress. She looks as tho she has a very nice figure and could carry almost any style. Ergo - she can do a lot better.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Put it like this, if I saw her in that dress at the wedding, I wouldn’t know she was mother of the groom, I would think she was a guest. Long dress definitely and it will probably be more flattering to her figure than this one.

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I do like the dress, as others have said, for maybe the rehearsal dinner.
I think she would need to have some alterations done so that the fit is perfect-- the waist looks to be hitting a little low or maybe needs to be taken in?
And also have the bodice overwrap (on her right side) secured to the left side so it doesn't droop or gap. I like the wrap style and v-neck but find it can shift and slip around, especially when sitting. It stinks when you are always trying to adjust the dress or worried about gaping.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More sparkle on the dress means less jewelry….

Agree with all the others:

- I think a long dress would be much more flattering and appropriate. I would say floor length is best. I like midis but for an upscale evening wedding those are hit and miss for me. Besides, depending on how tall your sister is they may not hit her in a good place on the body - I have this issue frequently where a tea length or midi dress makes me look shorter and stockier.

- I am not a fan of the gunmetal colour, would suggest something in navy/wine/bottle green instead if she wants to be safe. While I think a brighter gown could look lovely (like something in gold or turquoise) it is very attention grabbing, so it depends on what she would be comfortable with (though imo the MOG can wear anything she likes).

- I agree with @Elizabeth35 re: dress silhouette as well. Something that has some volume on the hip and flares out would help balance the shoulders better. Doesn’t have to be as much volume as a straight up ball gown, but an A-line skirt perhaps?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I do not believe it is sufficiently formal as a MoB dress, too short and the neckline too deep, more a cocktail dress for a nice girly night out.

It may be beaded, however the bead work looks kind of cheap in a pattern that is uninspiring, not what I would call exquisite.

Personal opinion and all that.

DK :))

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, definitely too plain for this sort of occasion. Needs to be longer and more colourful imho.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with the others.

Check with the Bride's mom and also what colors are the bridesmaids wearing? Definitely speak with the bride and see what her vision is. We color coordinated so the MOB, MOG and Maid of Honor all wore blue but everyone wore a different dress. So the look was cohesive but each person wore a dress most flattering to their body type and style.

And since it is evening and upscale I also agree with the length being long vs knee length or even tea length. It's an elegant way to go as long as it jives with the bride and groom's vision.

Congratulations to your sister and your family @nala. It's so lovely to be able to celebrate joyous occasions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results