shape
carat
color
clarity

Most recommended 10X Jeweller loupe? Carl Zeiss?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there, I am looking out for high quality 10X Jeweller Loupe. Do you have any recommendation? Is Carl Zeiss D40 recommended? It is priced at (USD 80). Is that a reasonable price? tks!

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2009 5:52:35 AM
Author: strmrdr
nikon 10x loupe is the best I have ever used.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-10x-jewerly-round-magnifier.html
I am also a fan of the Nikon. Great optics.

Another option that may be of interest is a loupe with LEDs behind a diffuser ring. Handy in random situations where you want to examine a piece of jewelry but don''t control the lighting. We presented all Infinity dealers with one at our last Symposium and enjoyed the resulting light show.
emidea.gif

http://www.esslinger.com/10xledlightloupe.aspx

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2009 9:51:48 AM
Author: John Pollard

Another option that may be of interest is a loupe with LEDs behind a diffuser ring. Handy in random situations where you want to examine a piece of jewelry but don''t control the lighting. We presented all Infinity dealers with one at our last Symposium and enjoyed the resulting light show.
emidea.gif

My recommendation for the last 15 years is the Harald Schneider loupe''s (two versions I own and use)

http://www.progemtools.com/loupes.shtml

Its aimed at professionals which loupes are an integral part of their daily basis (especially for precision and/or high clarity issues), I have not yet found a product that equals the Schneider although I am always on the lookout for better.

Pricey but worth every penny!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I use a Schneider and I love it but I would be hard pressed to recommend it to a consumer because of the price. I agree with the above that the Nikon is a good compromise of high quality optics and a reasonable price. I actually don't much care for the ones with a light in them because they're havoc on your color perception.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't have to work in the industry to have a passion for quality.
I have that German Harald Schneider loupe too.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi thanks for all the helpful advices:) I thought that Carl Zeiss is one of the ''leader'' when it comes to lenses? may I know why are there no recommendation?

freefly

Shiny_Rock
I also have the Nikon one and I love it. I think I purchased it from opticsplanet. It''s a super easy loupe to use and one of the best I''ve ever used.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 12:03:24 PM
Author: chictomato
Hi thanks for all the helpful advices:) I thought that Carl Zeiss is one of the ''leader'' when it comes to lenses? may I know why are there no recommendation?
The nikon is better, I have compared them side by side.
The nikon holds its own with the $300 loupes, someone who uses them 8 hours a day might notice a little difference but they for sure are not 5x better.
I have only used the Schneider once and they didn''t have a nikon to compare it to but I don''t recall it being any easier to find inclusions than the nikon.
The difference between the nikon and some cheaper loupes was night and day on small inclusions.
The nikon made them appear to pop out at me more than the others.
When I get some money ahead im getting the nikon and retiring my 6 others.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2009 10:28:22 AM
Author: denverappraiser
I use a Schneider and I love it but I would be hard pressed to recommend it to a consumer because of the price. I agree with the above that the Nikon is a good compromise of high quality optics and a reasonable price. I actually don''t much care for the ones with a light in them because they''re havoc on your color perception.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

True..., thats why I pointed towards professionals

1.gif

Bausch & Lomb Hastings Triplets is my recommendation for quality optics at a reasonable price...., its also small in size and easy to store...

http://www.kassoy.com/ec/1/product.asp?idDept=333&idProduct=3710

I am kinda glad this thread started as most professionals dont take their loupe too seriously even though they depend on it as the most useful...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2009 12:27:00 PM

Date: 8/21/2009 12:03:24 PM
Author: chictomato
The nikon is better, I have compared them side by side.
The nikon holds its own with the $300 loupes, someone who uses them 8 hours a day might notice a little difference but they for sure are not 5x better.
I have only used the Schneider once and they didn''t have a nikon to compare it to but I don''t recall it being any easier to find inclusions than the nikon.
The difference between the nikon and some cheaper loupes was night and day on small inclusions.
The nikon made them appear to pop out at me more than the others.
When I get some money ahead im getting the nikon and retiring my 6 others.
Strmrdr,

There is no possible way for you or anyone to judge (or get a sense of) a Schneider loupe by using or comparing it once..., a Schneider loupe must be used for a specific time (for each individual differently) frame to genuinely feel and discover its optical capabilities (in the Diamond field)...

(IMO) I can pretty much assure you that after a month of constant usage it will be impossible to go back to other loupes..., (Nikon included
2.gif
).

Its greatest capabilities are felt when used on rough material although I am certain many users in polished would feel the same too...

But again..., for people who just wants a loupe handy when visiting a store the average loupe will do the trick.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fair enough Diagem but it is fair to say the difference between the nikon and many other loupes is greater than the difference between the nikon and the Schneider.
For what many consumers use loupes for the $15 ones are good enough is also true.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

emidea.gif

That is another one I would like to pick up as the light would be handy sometimes.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
THis is the one I use every day: https://products.gemappraisers.com/pc-23-1-super-loupe-10x-professional.aspx

It isn''t nearly as costly as many others and I have tried the highest priced ones along the way. The optics in this loupe are excellent, the case is light weight, and for nearly anyone this will be totally adequate. It is possible that the highest cost loupes are better in some respects, but it would be like comparing VVS1 diamonds to one another. Factual, but of little to no important difference.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2009 1:17:34 PM
Fair enough Diagem but it is fair to say the difference between the nikon and many other loupes is greater than the difference between the nikon and the Schneider.
For what many consumers use loupes for the $15 ones are good enough is also true.
Depends who you ask I guess..., I for example have no way to go about my day without one of my Schneider''s..., when I dont have it thats when I feel the huge gaps between the follow-ups...

I know it sounds vain but I realy didnt find anything that comes close to it...

There is one contender that I did not use for a time frame as of yet (I did do some trial practice) but a few professionals prefer it..., its the "Triplet Hawk" by Swiss-Axe...

http://www.swissaxe.be/products/loupes/loupes/THL.html

The loupe is still the most important tool we use!!! It boggles my mind when I see professionals use $15 loupes.
33.gif
34.gif
33.gif

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2009 1:28:35 PM

That is another one I would like to pick up as the light would be handy sometimes.
I keep the one above on me when I''m not working. It gives a somewhat consistent view when spontaneously louping.

I own another similar design (courtesy of WGI) which adds a UV feature for checking fluorescence. It''s clever, but obviously not meant to be standard grading equipment.

wgi-loupe-jck08.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 2:58:40 PM
Date: 8/21/2009 1:28:35 PM

I keep the one above on me when I''m not working. It gives a somewhat consistent view when spontaneously louping.

I own another similar design (courtesy of WGI) which adds a UV feature for checking fluorescence. It''s clever, but obviously not meant to be standard grading equipment.

wgi-loupe-jck08.jpg

That is kewl

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2009 1:35:11 PM
Author: oldminer
THis is the one I use every day: https://products.gemappraisers.com/pc-23-1-super-loupe-10x-professional.aspx

It isn''t nearly as costly as many others and I have tried the highest priced ones along the way. The optics in this loupe are excellent, the case is light weight, and for nearly anyone this will be totally adequate. It is possible that the highest cost loupes are better in some respects, but it would be like comparing VVS1 diamonds to one another. Factual, but of little to no important difference.
I look at this issue a bit differently..., I dont know and had no experience with the loupe the Company you associate with markets..., but it can be a great product for a super-fair price.

When studying the internal space of a Diamond (polished or rough) a few hours a day, low strain concentration combined with crisp focus are among the things that can make the difference if you see or miss any inclusions (VVS1 or smart SI''s
11.gif
).
But inclusions is not all the loupe is utilized for, how about transparency, fluorescence, graining (internal and external), clouds and the list goes on...

The Schneider was primarily developed for rough..., the optical lens was developed to aid identify internal particles within a skinned rough Diamond
1.gif

Its a great product for professionals mainly.
I always happily recommend it to jewelers I work with.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2009 1:40:36 PM
Author: DiaGem

The loupe is still the most important tool we use!!! It boggles my mind when I see professionals use $15 loupes.
33.gif
34.gif
33.gif
I asked a local guy that question and he answered that he lost one a week some for good and some later found on average so he keeps a bunch of them around so he can find one.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2009 6:30:17 PM

Date: 8/21/2009 1:40:36 PM
Author: DiaGem

33.gif
34.gif
33.gif
I asked a local guy that question and he answered that he lost one a week some for good and some later found on average so he keeps a bunch of them around so he can find one.
Why am I not surprised at that answer..., you know how many times I heard that line??
11.gif

The loupe is the most usefull tool jewelers use...
2.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The amount of improvement between a $100 and a $300 loupe might be compared to the amount of improvement between a $10 and a $30 loupe.

Of course my exact numbers, which I just pulled out of the air, are meaningless- but the the basic concept is sound.

With many products once you get in to that very very high end of the quality range you must pay LOTS more money to get a relatively slight improvement.

I worked for over 20 years with fine German Zeiss stereo-microscopes.
You could look through them all day and experience no eye fatigue or headaches, unlike the cheaper microscopes of the same magnification.

Besides magnification and resolution there is also wide field of view and edge to edge sharpness and barrel and pincushion distortion differences.

Ya get what ya pay for but nobody can say if it is worth it or not for others, only for yourself.

whatmeworry

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll throw in my comparison between the zeiss and the belomo. Zeiss has a much brighter/sharper image than the Belomo. Really noticeable. But then again you pay more for it than the Belomo.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HI thanks everyone for the overwhelming input! I finally make my decision and had make comparison between the Zeiss and Nikon. And I had purchased the Carl Zeiss D40, as there is this anti reflective coating on the lense that I am more comfortable with and not to mention that its lighter in weight. I can easily see the feather inclusion in my VS1:) I am sure the other brands are each superior in their own way!
9.gif

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a total novice so I just bought myself a $4 loupe (regularly $30) off of Amazon. I bought it so that when a gem show comes to town I can use it then. But at what point does someone need to go beyond the $15 loupe and into the types of loupes you all are discussing? Is it really only jewelers/appraisers? Or does another type of person need one as well?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As pros have mentioned they see other pros use very inexpensive loupes.
I am not a pro but I have a Schneider.
This is backwards.
You could argue that I don't "need" a fine loupe, but pros do.
So, what people need and what they have don't always match up.

Instead of need, you might use the word want, value or justify.

If you have the funds and value a higher level of performance then bump up your budget and get a better loupe.
If your budget is more modest or you don't feel that level of performance is justifies the cost, then buy a lower-cost loupe.
Or compromise and buy a mid-priced loupe.

I'm not sure that "need" is really the right word.
I think of things like air, water and food as needs.

A Lexus is a better tool for the job but nobody needs one.

ACN

Rough_Rock
I got a 3pc loop combo off of amazon for $7: Here

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi I am a novice too:) I have to say that there is really a difference between the first loupe ( belongs to my uncle, without a brand name) I used and the recent Carl Zeiss that I bought. Other than the Carl Zeiss is significantly lighter. I can finally read the laser inscription clearly thru the lens, unlike my first loupe, can never really see the inscription and inclusion clearly. One key point, reflections are produced on the lens surfaces of all optical instruments. Carl Zeiss loupe have an anti-reflection coating that really helps to see even more clearly. I agree with the ''needs and wants'' theory. However, getting a quality loupe is about the same to me as getting a quality diamond. I really want to know and see for myself what I am buying.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Carl Zeiss produces the optics in the Belomo loupes - they have a partnership with each other.

I LOVE my Belomo - it is quite weighty, but for me that is a plus, also like the black casing.

For my own use I haven''t found a loupe I like better - and I''ve tried and owned many - and the price is exceptional.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
How about this one? BLING!

I like the disclaimer about the gemstones, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results