shape
carat
color
clarity

Most interesting thing you’ve ever found...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I was reading DF’s posts and wondered what are some interesting things you’ve found.

I found a large diamond cluster ring once in a mall bathroom years ago. I took it to security.
I found a 4 month old baby girl in Walmart. A sweet little ginger. I kept her. Just. Kidding.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Icky and weird:
A deer leg on the sidewalk on my way home from high school.

Overall odd:
An old lady on my porch. She was lost. Trying to drive home. Didn't know her address. Wanted me to drive her home. I got her inside with air conditioner and cool glass of water then called 911 for assistance. They sent an officer to evaluate her for medical need while another got her husband picked up at her home (she had a driver's license with info) and brought him to get her.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I forgot! An adorable jack russell puppy. Really wanted to keep her but her human family came by my house and they were distraught. I would never have kept her but man oh man, she was some kinda cute.

A deer leg? Far out :lol:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing amazing, just strange. Back in the day we went into the bank to do a transaction. We had our 2.5 year old daughter in a stroller. My husband and I were engaged in dealing with the teller. Walked out of the bank and into the mall area. My daughter had $80 in her lap. We returned to the bank to ask if someone lost it, they said not that they could tell. It was in her hands, but she was strapped into the stroller. WTH? We kept the money since it was a good 20 minutes before we realized, and no one had asked and bank didn't want to deal with it. Really weird.:P2 We always wondered if someone just gave it to her. My hand was on the stroller the entire time and she was right beside me, not exactly near anything or anyone else.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A puppy along the road as we were cycling. We stopped and caught the puppy who was fortunately wearing a collar with a phone #. The girl who answered the phone was so thankful as she had been looking all over for him.

A sweet deer who got separated from his sibling across a very busy road. We stopped and I got out in the middle of traffic to let the deer cross to the other side to get to his sibling. I just put my body in between him and the cars. Worked like a charm.

deerindeal.jpg

We are always finding feral kitties who somehow know our house is the house to go to for fine dining and shelter lol. There are lots of stray and feral kitties in our beach neighborhood. I wish everyone would spay and neuter their pets.

Look at these precious feral babies. We found them homes as we were able to socialize them somewhat. Unlike their parents.

feralkitties.jpg

LOL @Begonia I wouldn't have blamed you if you did keep that baby. :cheeky:
Did you really find a 4 month old in the Walmart bathroom? OMG.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a wayyyyy old school cash register in the attic of my last home when I bought it. When I say ‘old school’, I mean the kind that is not electric, has the flipping/rotating thing at the top for the total of the purchase, kind of (but not identical) to the picture below. I gave it to a family friend who collected antiques.
C2DA9A65-600A-45AC-995B-2F6DFEE48534.jpeg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was a little girl in upstate NY we used to find Indian arrowheads in our backyard. I've found a dollar or two here and there. that's about it :)

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Money on the sidewalk

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
A few things that come to mind are swan bones when I was volunteering with the Rangers, baby pigeons in a box in my neighborhood (I didn't take them because I don't know how to take care of birds but someone did take them), and a live bat that couldn't escape on the terrace (I caught it and brought it outside). Surprising things you can find in Brooklyn hahaha.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a dead skunk underneath our deck. Had the smell in our basement for 2 months, couldn't figure out where it was coming from (checked furnace) the ducts, Finally tore open our deck and sure enough it was a dead skunk that finally decomposed. a few bags of charcoal got rid of the skunk smell inside and out.

Reactions: AV_

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This little cottontail, hiding very still in the grass next to our mailbox, on the very edge of the road. I nearly stepped on him! He couldn't stay there-- people walk their dogs past our house and he would be at risk. He was old enough to wander from his nest during the day but young enough to still need feedings at dawn and dusk.

I found the shallow nest (a "scrape" as it's called), now empty and exposed, so I relocated him to a flower bed close to the nest so his mom could find him that evening. We saw him a few weeks later when he no longer needed his mom. At that point the ears are upright.

baby rabbit.jpg
baby rabbit a little older.jpg

Attachments

• baby rabbit a little older.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 49
  • baby rabbit a little older.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 48

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
This little cottontail, hiding very still in the grass next to our mailbox, on the very edge of the road. I nearly stepped on him! He couldn't stay there-- people walk their dogs past our house and he would be at risk. He was old enough to wander from his nest during the day but young enough to still need feedings at dawn and dusk.

I found the shallow nest (a "scrape" as it's called), now empty and exposed, so I relocated him to a flower bed close to the nest so his mom could find him that evening. We saw him a few weeks later when he no longer needed his mom. At that point the ears are upright.

baby rabbit.jpg
Awwwww such a cute surprise!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few things that come to mind are swan bones when I was volunteering with the Rangers, baby pigeons in a box in my neighborhood (I didn't take them because I don't know how to take care of birds but someone did take them), and a live bat that couldn't escape on the terrace (I caught it and brought it outside). Surprising things you can find in Brooklyn hahaha.
wow a bat
im Brooklyn
i love bats
usually im envious (in a nice friendly way) of sparkle around here but ive never seen a bat up close - only some Australian bats at the zoo

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A LV wallet FULL of cash (thousands!) in a cab. I was new to the city so gave it to the driver and asked him to check with the HQ if someone had called asking for it. My friends were horrified and told me later I should have taken it to the cops as undoubtedly the driver simply stole the wallet & cash... :doh:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

baby rabbit.jpg
he is adorable
i often think people who live in America and UK/Europe live in a story book with all the furry wildlife they have in their gardens

i did almost forget
i did find a family of 5 kittens under our grape vine this past summer
we took mummy cat and the babies to the SPCA where they went into foster care
this is the babies inside a recyclable supermarket bag
20190213_133524.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
all i every really find is marbles 20190624_155308.jpg
when my dad was still a teenager in the early '60s riding home on his motorcycle he saw this Chinese pot washed up in the harbour

Nikki1415

Brilliant_Rock
wow a bat
im Brooklyn
i love bats
usually im envious (in a nice friendly way) of sparkle around here but ive never seen a bat up close - only some Australian bats at the zoo
I only saw them at the zoo too until I found the bat last year, I was really excited. It was so cute and fluffy! I wanted to pet it but was afraid of being bit. I did poke it with a stick because I wanted to see its face and I learned that they make scary hissing noises hahaha. I took photos of the cutie!
64806539_479061146221639_6734700434583191552_n.jpg 64858097_1075822969271964_7818866358958948352_n.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have found many things but the strangest has to be I found an albino milk snake in Minnesota when I was around 10.
I turned it in to the park rangers and one yelled at me for picking it up but some other kids were throwing rocks at it and it would have been dead if I hadn't.
I guess it was a crime to disturb wildlife in the park.
They had an expert come out and ID it because they did not know what it was.
They are extremely rare.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What is funny however is 30+ years later my brother found a large brown/white milk snake outside his apartment that was freaking people out and corralled it in to a box for animal control to come get and release out in the country.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only saw them at the zoo too until I found the bat last year, I was really excited. It was so cute and fluffy! I wanted to pet it but was afraid of being bit. I did poke it with a stick because I wanted to see its face and I learned that they make scary hissing noises hahaha. I took photos of the cutie!
64806539_479061146221639_6734700434583191552_n.jpg 64858097_1075822969271964_7818866358958948352_n.jpg
i would have wanted to stroke that beautiful fur (we don't have rabbies here)
we do have 2 native bats here (our only species of native animal ) but not where i live ....ironically a few years ago they found a previously unknown and quite unexpected colony living in a cemetry in Hamilton city ....

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have found many things but the strangest has to be I found an albino milk snake in Minnesota when I was around 10.
I turned it in to the park rangers and one yelled at me for picking it up but some other kids were throwing rocks at it and it would have been dead if I hadn't.
I guess it was a crime to disturb wildlife in the park.
They had an expert come out and ID it because they did not know what it was.
They are extremely rare.
what a good boy you were
i feel sorry for snakes
all they are guilty of os just being snakes

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Talking about snakes I found a large rattler in a barn on my uncles farm and a few days later a den with a whole bunch of them in it.
The one in the barn tasted good and since the others were in the cow pasture they blew up the den with dynamite but we think the snakes were gone by then.
They were small males so there might have been a female nearby which attracted them according to my uncle.
They left them alone unless they were in the barns, by the house or in the cow pasture.
I have other snake stories but they are not as interesting.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow a bat
im Brooklyn
i love bats

We had a whole colony of them that used to live at/near our house they are fruit bats or black flying foxes (the same thing) some of the largest bats anywhere in the world. One or two are O.K but in massive numbers, they are dirty, noisy, smell really bad and full of diseases and if you are stuck with a lot of them at once it is NOT a great experience.... Some nights we see ones with wings spans so large (over a metre) you go wow look how massive that one was....

We actually named our Sphynx (hairless cat) Bat because he has big bat ears and when he was little a face like a Bat....

We live out in the suburbs now, but when we lived in close to the city we came home one night to find a snake in the kitchen, I walked in, in the dark and just about stood on it before seeing it and promptly screamed at my husband there's a snake in the kitchen.... I think he thought I was kidding until he walked in and went there's a snake in the kitchen. Not something you expected to find where we lived at that time.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was reading DF’s posts and wondered what are some interesting things you’ve found.

I found a large diamond cluster ring once in a mall bathroom years ago. I took it to security.
I found a 4 month old baby girl in Walmart. A sweet little ginger. I kept her. Just. Kidding.
i find it really nice how you refer to red headed people
we love red heads in our house because our cat Tinky was a ginge
i was once at a large family gathering of the Other half's brother's inlaws
anyway there was a largish slightly unruly/energetic family of little red heads and when talking to their dad i referred to them as the ginger people
honestly he almost teared up
he (also a ginger) said that was the nicest way bis brood had ever been described

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Missy - yup, I found a baby.

It was 2004. My younger was 2 and I went to Walmart to look for summer shorts. I was alone. Went into the kiddie section and saw a stroller sitting there with no one around and this wee ginger gal looking at me. 4 months. I thought maybe Mom and Dad were bent down behind the clothes racks so I kept shopping. Came back around and blink blink blink, there she is eyeing me up with lovely little blue peepers. We struck up a conversation and she tells me that she is indeed alone there. Well she didn’t actually talk but we communicated as I’m a bit of a baby whisperer. Oh really? I say. Well how about you and I hang together until Mom and Pop reappear. She was cool with that. Way cooler than my 2 boys were at 4 months. After 10 minutes of hanging I’m starting to think I got my girl after all. Sure she’s a ginger and some might wonder but she’ll fit right in. I carried on this fantasy for a few more minutes and then Dad comes screaming into the clothes section. Turns out mom thought dad had the baby and dad thought mom had the baby. Dad spotted mom in the store without the baby and ran like hell back to get the baby (before mom found out). So I asked Scarlet (I named her that) if this was indeed dad. At this point she clammed up so we walked “dad” and her over to store security and they took it from there. Sigh. I’ll always miss my wee girl Scarlet.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A predator's jaw, found it about a week ago

I was looking for Arnold Schwarzenegger after I found this :lol:
FB_IMG_1561363887399.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot what this is (and will ask my niece) but she found this on the beach the other weekend in our backyard.

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 6.20.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 6.19.48 AM.png

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In NY, I used to live in a house built in 1906. A huge, old dogwood we had in the back yard died and we had to have it cut down and the stump removed. When we were re-filling the hole it left, I came across what looked like a glass cocktail mixing stick. I'm a bit of a glass enthusiast, and I noticed right away it was in the pink / yellow / amber tones made famous by the Mt Washington Glass Company, which operated out of New Bedford, MA, between 1837 and 1939. Their style of glass, and their signature amber tones, were art deco staples on the east coast, and the glass swizzle stick I found seemed to represent that era and style.

Etched into the stick were a few letters (most had worn away) and the word 'Hotel'. A little sleuthing revealed that the stick had come from an old hotel of that era (1900 - 1930) in NYC, and long, long closed (I still have the stick, but the name of the hotel escapes me and I'm not at home right now, so can't check). I'm guessing that whoever built our house visited the hotel on some occasion ad brought home a beautiful Mt Washington drink mixing swizzle stick. When the end snapped off it, they tossed it into the back yard where it sat, buried under a huge dogwood tree, until we came along.

Monetary value - probably $0. But fascinating as a little bit of history and a precious reminder of the people who went before us in our home and the life that they led.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results