shape
carat
color
clarity

More questions about inherited pieces!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m still going through Ma in law’s jewellery and am wondering about it. Her family spent years living in the Far East, mainly Thailand and Malaysia so I’m assuming that’s where it’s from.

This is super pretty, no marks, could this be a ruby? The diamond looks old cut under a loupe.

147ABE73-26BA-4693-949B-54A01010B285.jpeg

And this is unusual, maybe woven gold? Can anyone help with the symbols?

D4F6017D-1264-46A6-A11F-0333CA5960DA.jpeg

Watch marked “platine”, could the face be restored?

1327E571-73F4-4F59-AD50-60F547A6872A.jpeg
Any comments or advice gratefully received!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely pieces! I think the snake piece is more pink than red to be considered ruby. It looks like it has an inclusion so perhaps natural. Sapphires can be heavily treated so you would need an expert to tell you more about it.

@Bron357 and @glitterata are watch aficionados so they might advise on repairs.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I’m still going through Ma in law’s jewellery and am wondering about it. Her family spent years living in the Far East, mainly Thailand and Malaysia so I’m assuming that’s where it’s from.

This is super pretty, no marks, could this be a ruby? The diamond looks old cut under a loupe.

147ABE73-26BA-4693-949B-54A01010B285.jpeg

And this is unusual, maybe woven gold? Can anyone help with the symbols?

D4F6017D-1264-46A6-A11F-0333CA5960DA.jpeg

Watch marked “platine”, could the face be restored?

1327E571-73F4-4F59-AD50-60F547A6872A.jpeg
Any comments or advice gratefully received!

Oh my god who cares with that snake necklace is because it’s so freaking awesome! Loooooove IT!!!! @Niel look!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely pieces! I think the snake piece is more pink than red to be considered ruby. It looks like it has an inclusion so perhaps natural. Sapphires can be heavily treated so you would need an expert to tell you more about it.

@Bron357 and @glitterata are watch aficionados so they might advise on repairs.

Thank you! Yes, the stone has inclusions under a loupe, am really hoping it’s a good stone.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the snake necklace, and the watch is just, WOW!! Please tell me you're planning to wear and enjoy some of these pieces?

Hoping to, it all needs to be shared out with another female relative but she’s not that into jewellery, I don’t think.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The watch face can be repainted, and if the crystal is scratched it can be repolished. A good watch repair person can tell you whether the mechanism can be made to run. I believe platine is French for platinum.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The watch face can be repainted, and if the crystal is scratched it can be repolished. A good watch repair person can tell you whether the mechanism can be made to run. I believe platine is French for platinum.

That would be great if I can find someone to do it. The watch actually works and keeps time pretty well. I wonder how old it is?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was once fascinated by vintage watches and bought more than a few of them. It should be fairly easy (and safe) to open the back - the inside of the case, and the movement, might tell you a bit more about the watch. If nothing else, it used to be traditional to scratch the date on the inside of the case whenever a watch was cleaned - so the case might give you a better idea of the watch’s age. And some manufacturers stamped serial numbers onto movements that reflect when the watch was made.

to open the watch case, feel around the edge, where the front and back meet, for a small bump. That’s where you pry the case open - using a fingernail is safest to prevent scratching. I like to have the watch face-down on a piece of felt, or another soft surface, when I do this.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was once fascinated by vintage watches and bought more than a few of them. It should be fairly easy (and safe) to open the back - the inside of the case, and the movement, might tell you a bit more about the watch. If nothing else, it used to be traditional to scratch the date on the inside of the case whenever a watch was cleaned - so the case might give you a better idea of the watch’s age. And some manufacturers stamped serial numbers onto movements that reflect when the watch was made.

to open the watch case, feel around the edge, where the front and back meet, for a small bump. That’s where you pry the case open - using a fingernail is safest to prevent scratching. I like to have the watch face-down on a piece of felt, or another soft surface, when I do this.

I opened it up! The inside is super shiny but no marks that I can see, none on the watch mechanism or the case. It’s really cool to see the movement whirring away, so cleverly made.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
After you showed us the pretty green flapper necklase ive been wondering about your MIL
i think she would like PS, because she sounds like a collector
She wouldn't surly be old enough to gave been a flapper herself

How is your FIL doing ?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After you showed us the pretty green flapper necklase ive been wondering about your MIL
i think she would like PS, because she sounds like a collector
She wouldn't surly be old enough to gave been a flapper herself

How is your FIL doing ?

She would have liked PS, I think. She was a dress designer who loved all things stylish and even in later life always looked “put together”. She was born in the flapper era, maybe her mother dressed that way? Sadly FIL died more than 20 years ago but thank you for asking!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful! Did you ever find out if that’s a Thai ruby in snakey?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
She would have liked PS, I think. She was a dress designer who loved all things stylish and even in later life always looked “put together”. She was born in the flapper era, maybe her mother dressed that way? Sadly FIL died more than 20 years ago but thank you for asking!

I love all things flapper

I was born in '71 but i still love bright orange and lime green - maybe some preferences stay with us from when we were young
i love the watch
i wound think she would be so happy you got it fixed and to see it on your wrist
I hope your FIL is happy

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful! Did you ever find out if that’s a Thai ruby in snakey?

Thank you! I haven’t found someone to look at the necklace yet, but it’s next on the list!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results