shape
carat
color
clarity

More diamond choices....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here is where I am on this diamond purchase. I cannot find the exact specs that I want at this time. I obviously can just wait indefinitely until one comes available, although I may risk a price increase in doing so. And in that case, I may as well buy one which has a higher clarity than I need. The smallest one is tempting, but it is really sad to sacrifice size!!!

My goal is a G or H, VS1 (no lower), between 1.3-1.45 cts., with a minimum diameter of 7.1mm and ideal being about 7.2 mm.

Here are the diamonds that are closest (all are ideal cut AGS0 and fall between 1 and 2 on the HCA). I had tried to eliminate the higher priced ones previously, but I''ve decided to still consider them.

#1) 1.27 H VS1 (ACA-new line, I think?), avg. diameter 7.05 mm, price @$8500. (great price, disadvantage: smaller than I wanted!!! and not sure about new line)
T 55.2, D 60.7, CA 34.8, PA 40.7
#2) 1.35 H VVS1, 7.10 mm , @$10,600 (disadvantage: paying for 2 clarity grades higher than I need, but it is still less than the next two)
T 56, D 61.8, CA 35, PA 40.8
#3) 1.31 G VVS2 (ES-classic), 7.14 mm, @ $11,500 (higher color is good, size is best of these, disadvantage: a little higher clarity, not sure why this one did not make ACA)
T 55, D 60.6, CA 34.7, PA 40.8
#4) 1.32 G VVS2 (ACA-classic), 7.09 mm, @ $11,800
T 55, D 61, CA 34.4, PA 40.6
I will attempt to post pictures for each one. I’d appreciate any opinions!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, can''t get IS pictures posted because they are too big.

I have actual photos of #2 from GOG that I can post. (Hope you don''t mind, Jon!)

The HVVS1 is on the right... a beautiful 1.39 F VS1 is on the left, but it is out of my price range :(

1.35HVVS1(2)on rt.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another of #2 (F color compared to H)

1.35HVVS1(3)on rt.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ds, i pinky promise that you will not see a size difference between the 1.27 and the other stones. not a whit of difference whatsoever. i can also GUARANTEE that you will love the newline. i am not being biased just because i own a couple either
19.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Belle, I just want to SEE them all at once!!! This ordering and returning bit is making me weary. I'm sure the vendors hate people like me! :(

I guess the good thing is, if I got the 1.27 and then they got in a wonderful 1.4, I could always upgrade. I just REALLY wanted to settle on one to keep forever!!! Sending it back and resetting is a pain, plus I need the eternity band to have the right size stones for the e-ring.

Belle, would you mind looking at the IS of that stone for me?

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2167534.htm

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Do you mind me asking why you won't go below a VS1? Is it a "mind clean" thing or are you actually concerned that you'll see inclusions in a VS2 or SI1? For what it's worth, I have a 2.35 ct VS2 and can't see a thing from any angle EVER. I am quite certain that with a properly graded VS2 or SI1 diamond in this size range, you will be more than safe. But, of course, I understand if you just feel better with a higher clarity grade. It's so personal. It just seems like the prices on these stones are very high for the size and color and that's, of course, a result of the premium placed on having VVS clarity.

I think all the numbers look good. I tend to like a depth less than 61% only because I want to get the largest diameter possible, but I don't think it will impact the beauty of the stone. I guess I like #1 or #3 the best based on numbers alone. I had a 1.5 ct with almost those exact specs that was just stunning. Again, I think they'll all be beautiful stones.

ETA I say go for #1 -- it'll save you a bundle and has great numbers!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2006 12:26:07 PM
Author: Demelza
Do you mind me asking why you won''t go below a VS1? Is it a ''mind clean'' thing or are you actually concerned that you''ll see inclusions in a VS2 or SI1? For what it''s worth, I have a 2.35 ct VS2 and can''t see a thing from any angle EVER. I am quite certain that with a properly graded VS2 or SI1 diamond in this size range, you will be more than safe. But, of course, I understand if you just feel better with a higher clarity grade. It''s so personal. It just seems like the prices on these stones are very high for the size and color and that''s, of course, a result of the premium placed on having VVS clarity.

I think all the numbers look good. I tend to like a depth less than 61% only because I want to get the largest diameter possible, but I don''t think it will impact the beauty of the stone. I guess I like #1 or #3 the best based on numbers alone. I had a 1.5 ct with almost those exact specs that was just stunning. Again, I think they''ll all be beautiful stones.

ETA I say go for #1 -- it''ll save you a bundle and has great numbers!!!
Dem, it is mostly a mind clean thing on the clarity. I just had the best stone here to look at and it was an H VS2 1.44!!! It had two things I didn''t like and that is why I returned it. The table was 54 which just looked too small to me, and the VS2 was because of little feathers. Feathers are cracks and that just bothers me! Let me add one other factor. My mothers stone is IF and my sisters-in-law have H VVS1 and H VVS2. These are the only people who will have the nerve to ask me color and clarity, and I will be happier being able to say VS1 or up. That is secondary, of course, but it has a tiny bit of influence.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 12:23:46 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Belle, I just want to SEE them all at once!!! This ordering and returning bit is making me weary. I''m sure the vendors hate people like me! :(

I guess the good thing is, if I got the 1.27 and then they got in a wonderful 1.4, I could always upgrade. I just REALLY wanted to settle on one to keep forever!!! Sending it back and resetting is a pain, plus I need the eternity band to have the right size stones for the e-ring.
i feel your pain ds! i guarantee the vendors don''t hate you. this is what their business is about. take your time and find what you want. you may never have to worry about an ''upgrade'' once you find the right one.
28.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 12:32:36 PM

Dem, it is mostly a mind clean thing on the clarity. I just had the best stone here to look at and it was an H VS2 1.44!!! It had two things I didn''t like and that is why I returned it. The table was 54 which just looked too small to me, and the VS2 was because of little feathers. Feathers are cracks and that just bothers me! Let me add one other factor. My mothers stone is IF and my sisters-in-law have H VVS1 and H VVS2. These are the only people who will have the nerve to ask me color and clarity, and I will be happier being able to say VS1 or up. That is secondary, of course, but it has a tiny bit of influence.
are their diamonds ags graded?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt it. My mom''s stone is old so the numbers are from an appraisal. The HVVS1 was bought in England and appraised again here and the HVVS2 was AGS, I think, and a WF ES stone.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 12:41:32 PM
I doubt it. My mom''s stone is old so the numbers are from an appraisal. The HVVS1 was bought in England and appraised again here and the HVVS2 was AGS, I think, and a WF ES stone.
the scorpio in me would want to get a killer eye clean (and nearly loupe clean) si stone just so they could see how awesome they are!
11.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2006 12:47:55 PM
Author: belle

I doubt it. My mom's stone is old so the numbers are from an appraisal. The HVVS1 was bought in England and appraised again here and the HVVS2 was AGS, I think, and a WF ES stone.
the scorpio in me would want to get a killer eye clean (and nearly loupe clean) si stone just so they could see how awesome they are!
11.gif
Lol! I know. It's just that I have an SI2 now and the inclusion bothers me when I look at it with a loupe to check prongs and that kind of thing. It's primarily a mind clean issue. I'd never be able to spot an SI1 with my unaided eye.

Belle, did you have a chance to look at that IS on the 1.27?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 12:56:20 PM

Date: 5/27/2006 12:47:55 PM
Author: belle

11.gif
Lol! I know. It''s just that I have an SI2 now and the inclusion bothers me when I look at it with a loupe to check prongs and that kind of thing. It''s primarily a mind clean issue. I''d never be able to spot an SI1 with my unaided eye.

Belle, did you have a chance to look at that IS on the 1.27?
i just saw that you added the link! i''ll go now.
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
very nice

ishvs.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Belle. I couldn''t post them because I don''t have a way to reduce the size.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 1:22:43 PM
Thanks, Belle. I couldn''t post them because I don''t have a way to reduce the size.
you''re welcome!

i actually didn''t even reduce the size on that one. i just right clicked on the image and saved it. i changed the filename though because no two uploaded (or attempted uploads) filenames can be the same. it''s always easier just to rename the file to something unusual...just in case.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamond seeker, did you call WF and ask when their next batch of stones will be in? my girlfriend who is shopping with them is looking for a hard to find size 1.3-1.5c I/J SI1/SI2 and they basically have NOTHING right now for her, and I was on the phone yesterday with Lesley and she told me that they are getting in some new goods in that size range and she would let my friend know, so maybe they have some new G/H's coming too. i know that inventory right now is slim for everyone...so i'd find out when the new batch comes in!

also i just wouldn't buy any of those diamonds you posted. it's just not in me to advocate a G VVS purchase!!
5.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, that''s weird. I did try renaming and it wouldn''t post for me. I guess you have the magic touch!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2006 1:29:02 PM
Author: Mara
diamond seeker, did you call WF and ask when their next batch of stones will be in? my girlfriend who is shopping with them is looking for a hard to find size 1.3-1.5c I/J SI1/SI2 and they basically have NOTHING right now for her, and I was on the phone yesterday with Lesley and she told me that they are getting in some nice new goods in that size range and she would let my friend know, so maybe they have some new G/H's coming too. i know that inventory right now is slim for everyone...so i'd find out when the new batch comes in!

also i just wouldn't buy any of those diamonds you posted. it's just not in me to advocate a G VVS purchase!!
5.gif
Yes, I have been in touch with Jamie and she says they expect new stones in June but has no idea of the specs yet. Thank goodness your friend isn't looking for the exact same specs as I am!!!

So you wouldn't go for the H VS1 above because it is smaller than I really wanted/? I think you're probably right about that as much as my impatient self wants to compromise!!!! (But I hate to overpay because I want some new H&A studs, too, after this!!!)

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 1:30:01 PM
Hmmm, that''s weird. I did try renaming and it wouldn''t post for me. I guess you have the magic touch!
hehehehehe....and actually, i wasn''t too sure ''ishvs'' on a busy diamond message board would work, but it must be my lucky day!
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well i know from experience that when you say something like ''minimum 7.1mm but ideal is 7.2mm''..that if you get 7.05mm you probably won''t be happy. but i''m confused, don''t you have something already in this size? or am i thinking of someone else?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 1:46:40 PM
well i know from experience that when you say something like ''minimum 7.1mm but ideal is 7.2mm''..that if you get 7.05mm you probably won''t be happy. but i''m confused, don''t you have something already in this size? or am i thinking of someone else?
only if this is a ''mind clean'' thing like the clarity is. there is no humanly way possible that anyone would notice the difference between 7.05mm and 7.1mm.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2006 1:46:40 PM
well i know from experience that when you say something like 'minimum 7.1mm but ideal is 7.2mm'..that if you get 7.05mm you probably won't be happy. but i'm confused, don't you have something already in this size? or am i thinking of someone else?
My original diamond is 1.02 and 6.5 mm, so that is why I am wanting to take one visual step up, and I feel like the 1.2 range wouldn't even be noticeable except for the better cut factor. My perfect diamond would be about 1.4 and 7.2 mm!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well if your perfect diamond is 1.4 then just wait til you find that! honestly i would make the jump as big as possible esp if its something that will make you ''mentally'' happy or as belle said ''mind-clean'' (or mind-size in this matter)...having done this a few times i know that small jumps don''t keep me happy for long.
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2006 1:55:41 PM
well if your perfect diamond is 1.4 then just wait til you find that! honestly i would make the jump as big as possible esp if its something that will make you 'mentally' happy or as belle said 'mind-clean' (or mind-size in this matter)...having done this a few times i know that small jumps don't keep me happy for long.
9.gif
Yeah, all you girls with DSS make me afraid to try 1.27! Lol!

Most of the WF stones are cut to maximize the diameter (not deep), so I feel like a 1.35 and up would move me up in size with theirs.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
since you won''t have too many chances to make direct side by side comparisons in real life here are the 7.05mm 7.20mm and 7.1mm

7mmcomparisons.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow thanks Belle! Gosh, I''d be hard pressed to tell those apart. I''m gonna post another picture Jon sent me of a 1.0, 1.23, and 1.4, just to show another perspective.

stones on hand (2).jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See, that 1.23 is barely different from the 1.0. But the 1.4 is definitely bigger. That 1.23 is about 6.9mm, I think.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what are the mm dimensions on those particular stones that you posted ds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results