shape
carat
color
clarity

Moonstone in rose or yellow gold? Bad idea?

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
I hate to jump on any bandwagon, BUT I can explain!! My boyfriend bought me a Heart of Water lotus moonstone ring about 6 years ago, and about two years ago my house was broken into, and the thieves stole a ton of jewelry, upon other things. This was very briefly after I discovered pricescope, so luckily (sort of) I didn't have a lot of treasures, but that moonstone ring meant a lot to me. He bought it for me while we were long distance, and it was a beautiful reminder of that time ;(

Since the moonstone craze kicked up, I've been itching for a moonstone RHR replacement. But, now thanks to pricescope, I have seen what a top quality moonstone can look like. The lotus setting was beautiful, but I want something a little less whimsical.

So, I bought this moonstone from a guy off Etsy:

il_570xn_113.jpg

I LOVE yellow and rose gold. But for some reason the color contrast between warm gold tones and that sleepy blue doesn’t look quite right to me.

Does anyone have any good pictures of moonstone in non-white gold? Will it look too garish with yellow or rose gold? What about unplated white? I need some opinions!

I was planning on setting it in a simple halo, with a plain shank. Any thoughts?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Don't know what style setting you lean toward, but I just googled moonstone gold ring. I think this one is beautiful.

steven-battelle-hand-carved-blue-moonstone-cabochon-ring1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen it bezeled in high karat gold but cannot find the picture at this moment.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
:dance:

_538.png

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
Upgradable|1419278818|3805936 said:
Don't know what style setting you lean toward, but I just googled moonstone gold ring. I think this one is beautiful.

Oh wow. That one is GORGEOUS. I think I get eye-fatigue looking through google images because all the moonstones are a dull gray or white, or pink color. It's hard to imagine the blue glow next to high karat gold, but this ring is breathtaking!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! I had the exact same question! I would love to set my moonstones in RG but my concern is that anything other than WG might make the stone appear yellower?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like them in white gold or white metal. To me, the whiteness of the metal brings out the icy coolness of the gem, and reminds me of the shimmering moonlight on water for which they were named. While many look pretty in yellow gold, I don't think it enhances them that much.

I also love them in lightly oxidized white metal.

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
TL|1419285520|3806027 said:
I really like them in white gold or white metal. To me, the whiteness of the metal brings out the icy coolness of the gem, and reminds me of the shimmering moonlight on water for which they were named. While many look pretty in yellow gold, I don't think it enhances them that much.

I also love them in lightly oxidized white metal.

That's what I think I am leaning towards. Also, I have mostly yellow and rose gold pieces, so this will be something different!

Thanks for the input!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Choice of metal color is 100% personal preference.

One person's bad idea is another person's good idea.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I do think certain metal colors enhance the colors of certain gems, it's pretty much personal preference like Kenny said.

Here's a gorgeous moonstone in yellow gold with some ruby and diamonds. Very nice!

03zkx8wetiwe8u5g2zgxta-small_1_.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, here's a gorgeous moonstone bracelet in lightly oxidized metal. You could set it in silver, and let the metal naturally tarnish after a while, so it's a more cost effective that way to set it. Platinum also takes on a gorgeous patina, but it's obviously much much higher cost.

1d2a4aad90584d114b98516024903b4f_1_.jpg

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am going to be the lone voice speaking up for rose gold. I love the combination of rose gold and blue stones. I also think rose gold has a romantic feel that works very well with moonstone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Good idea! :bigsmile:

Temple St. Clair has a lot of yellow gold and moonstone. Have a peek!

http://templestclair.com/

cheers--Sharon

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here are my Barry Bridgestock oval cab blue sheen moonstones custom set in red gold by Stephen Vincent Design in Minneapolis.

All I can say is, if you love rose gold, go for it!

ear_2489.jpg

ear_2461.jpg

ear_2470.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Flygirl, those are amazing!!!! :love: :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results