shape
carat
color
clarity

Money already spent

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those who bought their diamond in recent years or many years ago, what do you think - would you have to spend more or less to buy the same diamond now? Just your immediate opinion now unless you know about these things and can elaborate quickly.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have to spend a lot more to get what I have currently, probably close to 2x more to purchase the same diamond.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pyramid|1427481235|3853347 said:
For those who bought their diamond in recent years or many years ago, what do you think - would you have to spend more or less to buy the same diamond now? Just your immediate opinion now unless you know about these things and can elaborate quickly.
Significantly more.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back then, a person can get a 2 ct H VS2 for $10K whereas I think a person needs $20K for the same diamond today.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have to spend less, we got taken to the cleaners by a "family friend" keep in mind I bought my diamond about 14 years ago :nono:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ouch! Some friend.

Wink

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Less, unfortunately. We got mine in Dec 2013 and prices have come down since then :(

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the pricescope graph chart shows the price of diamonds going down but then are diamonds being sold each month of the same quality or do wholesalers hold on to the higher qualities until prices start to rise again. I also notice the chart is an average price of all diamond grades so does that work as a d vvs1 say is a lot more than a j si1and how many of each do they hold on the database - a lot more g-i si1-si2 than d-f vvs1-vvs2 or g vs1.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring was bought second-hand a decade ago. To get the same ring new now it would cost double. To get it second-hand, assuming I bought the exact same thing, it would depend so much on what I could find but would probably be at least 1.5x what it was before. We thought we bargain shopped at the time, and we settled on what was within our budget, but I honestly think doing it again we could get something much better for not much more if I didn't have to stick with the same style again. Tapered baguette settings are expensive!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It totally depends on when the diamond was bought. The stone I bought from GOG in 2006 was sold at a profit in 2012, I think. The stone I bought in 2013 probably would sell new for about what I bought it for or maybe a little less (but I'd lose a percentage selling it on commission).

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
less :wall: ! my DH bought my engagement ring a little over a year ago, and it seems like prices for similar diamonds have gone down

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Mine was purchased in 2003. We'd have to spend double what he paid back then for both my engagement ring and wedding band just to replace the diamond.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More. I just had a conversation with Adam at OWD the other day and OECs have gone up considerably according to him. I got my OEC in Jan 2013. Interested to see if there is a difference b/w old cuts vs modern cuts regarding this issue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results