shape
carat
color
clarity

Moms...stuff that makes your lives easier...post here!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am lucky enough to be able to walk to a shopping center. Today I was thinking how glad I was that I bought two carabiners to help carry bags. I remember the guy at REI said he has never heard of that.

I thought this could be a fun thread where we share products that make our lives easier. Reminder, it''s not about toys or stuff for THEM.

First up are my carabiners. Not sure if this is the exact one but I tried them out on the BOB they had on display. They work great.

507a15fa-f97f-4352-9206-2e1962396311.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My SIL bought me a diaper clutch. when T was born. It is SO wonderful now that I no longer carry a diaper bag. I just stick it in my purse and off we go. Couldn''t find a good picture online but here is an example. It uses a travel size wipe packet (slides in) and fits a few diapers.

tdc-morningglory-small.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a practical find and makes my life smell better
2.gif
I love these scented diaper bags.

sassybags200.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great idea Tacori! The carabiner is a great idea.

I've mentioned these in other threads but two things we love:

Itzbeen Timer: http://www.amazon.com/Itzbeen-Baby-Care-Timer-Blue
--I think CC mentioned this a long time ago but basically it helps you keep track of last time baby ate, got new diaper, slept, etc. We use the * for pumping, so I can tell how long since I last pumped. We don't use this as much anymore, but it was crucial in the first 6-8 weeks when you are just figuring things out and can't really remember last time he ate or when he slept etc.

Grobag Temperature Egg: http://www.amazon.com/Gro-Egg-Color-Changing-Digital-Thermometer
--My friend recommended this and we love it. You put it in the baby's room and it just tells you temperature...but the color changing tells you a 'range' of temperatures. You just take a glance at it and can tell if the room is too cold, just right or too hot for baby. They use the SIDS-reducing range of recommended temperatures. It's great for our old house because it doesn't hold heat very well and sometimes areas of the rooms are colder or hot.

Tacori I am glad you mentioned that diaper thing because I need to get something that is 'smaller' for when I don't need to take the entire diaper bag with me (aka on a walk).

Also one other thing we really love are the Avent pacifiers that have snap-in caps. Someone gave them to us so I am not sure where they got them but basically the paci snaps into it's own cap and you can just toss it into your diaper bag. We have two and we use them anytime we leave the house.

ETA here is a link to the Avent pacifiers, says that they all come with the caps..FWIW I have not seen very many pacifiers at the store that do come with snap on caps!
http://www.diapers.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=7458

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
My Angel Care Monitor has been awesome.

My daughter stopped breathing in her sleep once, and the only reason I checked on her was because I'd heard her pacifier fall out of her mouth. When I saw her she was blue and completely unresponsive. She pulled through luckily, but was sent home with a big bulky heart and lung monitor that strapped to her chest. As she got older and started to roll around, the straps would constantly slip off and sound an alarm, waking her up as it lost the read. I got up every 20 minutes checking her when I finally couldn't use the monitor anymore, and a regular baby monitor was no good because the fan in her room was all we could hear.

My mother bought me this monitor and it was like a dream come true. You place it underneath the crib mattress and click it on, that's it. It alerts you if no motion is detected for over 20 seconds and alerts you if room temperature is too hot.

It saved me so much anxiety and lost sleep. I'd recommend them to any new mom, especially with the anxiety about SIDS. It's a great product.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I love this thread Tacori! That diaper clutch is a great idea! How big is it?

Mara, I like that feeding timer. In the beginning while they are little, I can see how that would be really helpful. Good one!

I love my Columbia diaper bag. It is black, messenger style, I love HANDS FREE!! What I love about it is that it has a built in cooler section so when I was breastfeeding I could put an ice pack and frozen milk in there and wouldn''t have to carry a separate cooler bag. Now that I am not BF''ing I put yogurt or fruit etc in there. I also like that it is unisex so both my hubby and I can wear it. It makes my life so much easier. link to bag

Oh, I also want to add that I bought a Coach wristlet as I hate carrying a handbag and the diaper bag. My wristlet holds my cell, debit cards, cash, and a lip balm and I throw it into the back of my messenger diaper back so it is easily accessible!!!! It was so worth it and I recommend it to all of my prego girlfriends!!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I love the Stokke Diaper Bag - it has a hard shell, enough space for everything you need and then some, attaches to the stroller plus can be worn as a backpack. Mine is in black to match the pram textile. Best of all, DH is more than happy to tote it around and he is so not a bag carrying type!

My Mama Jacket is also amazing for wearing with a sling in cold weather.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I know they sell some sort of plastic "mommy clip" that is the same idea as a carabiner but overpriced and not metal. I bought two so I could hang my large diaper bag on it (though I never have). Those pacis are awesome! We use a paci pod which also works well. I like having one handy!

Pink, we also have the angel care monitor. I use it with my summer video monitor (MUST HAVE!) b/c the audio is so nice on it.

lizzy, not sure if that website has the measurements but it is a tad larger than those pop-up travel wipes. It fits in all of my medium size purses. Plus I think it is really cute. They have tons of fabric choices. I have a coach keychain that has a little wallet attached. I agree it is GREAT to have something smaller for easy access.

pandora, what is a mama jacket?

wasabi-pp_medium.jpg.png

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, I also used a paci pod and loved it!!!!!! I always knew where to find the pacifier which was great!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Great thread Tacori! I wish I could walk to a shopping center. Great idea with the caribeaners.

My Ergo Baby Carrier most DEFINITELY makes my life easier.

Ditto Mara on the Itzbeen. I called it my brain for the first few weeks. I've loaned mine to several friends since and everyone loves that thing.

I also love the Tiny Diner Placemat. I have had so many people stop and ask me what it is and where I got it! (Babies R Us). Basically it is a placemat that actually sticks to the table. I put his food directly on it, so it keeps the baby from hurling plates onto the floor and also protecting him from table germs. I have two so that I always have a clean one in the diaper bag. It is seriously awesome.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2010 9:34:47 PM
Author: TanDogMom
. I have had so many people stop and ask me what it is and where I got it! (Babies R Us). Basically it is a placemat that actually sticks to the table. I put his food directly on it, so it keeps the baby from hurling plates onto the floor and also protecting him from table germs. I have two so that I always have a clean one in the diaper bag. It is seriously awesome.

We used that too! It worked great until she started ripping it off the table. Haha. Now we use the clear plastic ones that stick to the table.

lizzy, the pod works great.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I could not survive without the electric swing my dad bought us.

The pack''n play that a friend lent us is much more useful than a changing table because you can not only use it as a changing table at home, but bring it with you and use it as a crib on visits.

A "travel system" (car seat and stroller bought as a pair) is a much better deal than the two separate.

If your baby is born is winter, you need one of these to put in your carseat and/or stroller (if your winters are cold, at any rate).

A double electric breastpump would definitely make my life easier (I bought a single one).

My nursing cushion.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
oooh after reading anchor''s post it reminded me of another one! I stopped breastfeeding about 4 months ago so I completely forgot. But I HIGHLY recommend the My Brest Friend nursing pillow link here

It has an adjuster on it that allowed me to keep it tight against my body so I could literally BF my son hands free because it didn''t slouch and it stayed up high enough so my son could BF without me supporting him. He was so comfortable on that thing!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol my friend used to work in Marketing for 'My Breast Friend' ... this was a few years ago and we all teased her mercilelessly about it! when i got preggo i was like DRAT since she'd long since moved on hehee.

also our most favorite piece of clothing that we have for J are the kimono tshirts, also called 'side snap' tshirts. i know that not all the moms love them but we are crap at putting stuff over his head, so the kimonos are awesome, quick to put on/change him, AND they look so friggin cute on him. anyway, carters does the kimono/side snap in diff sizes and they even have patterns, stripes etc. we have some of those and we have the classic white ones too. oh and Under the Nile has some great organic patterned ones.

Side Snap: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Brand-White-Sleeve-Months

and for the first 1.5 months of his life, J only spent time in clothing with HAND MITTS on them. he is a horrible self-mulilator and arm flailer, so if we didn't put clothes w/hand mitts on (not separate mitts, he would actually take these off starting on day three of his life) then he would scratch himself all up, even with short nails he would rake them across his face. most of the Gerber and Carter long-sleeve newborn stuff had attached hand mitts.

i have been tempted to get the Angel Care monitor but then i think i am just being paranoid. however reading stories like yours Pink Asscher makes me think about it again.

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
One of these:
http://www.smalldudes.co.uk/epages/smalldudes.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/smalldudes/Categories/Out_About/Harness/Harness_Buddies&gclid=COjzrcXGhaECFdpo4wodhFFA7w

Harness buddy - basically reigns that are cute. DD prefers not to leave the house without hers, which means no drama when we go out. She''s fast and very determined, so I''m very glad she likes this.
2.gif

I also like Ikea''s changing mats. The traditional ones we bought cracked and got really nasty, but the Ikea one is inflatable plastic, so it doesn''t have stuffing. You put a washable cover over it. I love that I can throw it in the washing machine on a hot cycle rather than trying to clean it with wipes and antibacterial spray. The mat and the covers were really inexpensive too. I wish I''d discovered that earlier on.

On the subject of Ikea, I''ve found that if you live near one, you can go there when you''re at your wits end trying to entertain a baby or toddler on a day at home. They are totally family friendly, the restaurant has some reasonably nice and healthy food and there are private areas to use for BFing if you want. Diapers and wipes in the restrooms, so you don''t even have to haul a lot of stuff with you. The kids department has all their toys out on display and they don''t mind kids playing with them. Plus they''re pretty much indestructible. The stores tend to be huge, so you can deal with tantrums by finding a time out corner somewhere. I know it''s a store, but on a bad day, it can be a trip out of the house!

Perhaps I do need to get out more...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh, thanks Mrs M - I was after one of them.

Ditto on IKEA being kid friendly - and if they do smash things in the homeware department it is very cheap!

Wanted to add a thumbs up to My Brest Friend - great when they''re tiny... you can walk round the house feeding them plus it has a pocket for phones, remote controls etc

Another couple of things I wouldn''t be without:

My Ellaroo Mei Tai - I use this probably more than the stroller at the moment.

The Minui Handysitt high-chair - great for taking to relatives who don''t have high-chairs and to restaurants.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great finds ladies. I don''t want this to be in place of the best baby gear thread b/c there is a lot of good info in there. I just love hearing about these products that aren''t so mainstream!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 12:17:15 AM
Author: Mara
lol my friend used to work in Marketing for ''My Breast Friend'' ... this was a few years ago and we all teased her mercilelessly about it! when i got preggo i was like DRAT since she''d long since moved on hehee.

also our most favorite piece of clothing that we have for J are the kimono tshirts, also called ''side snap'' tshirts. i know that not all the moms love them but we are crap at putting stuff over his head, so the kimonos are awesome, quick to put on/change him, AND they look so friggin cute on him. anyway, carters does the kimono/side snap in diff sizes and they even have patterns, stripes etc. we have some of those and we have the classic white ones too. oh and Under the Nile has some great organic patterned ones.

Side Snap: http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Brand-White-Sleeve-Months

and for the first 1.5 months of his life, J only spent time in clothing with HAND MITTS on them. he is a horrible self-mulilator and arm flailer, so if we didn''t put clothes w/hand mitts on (not separate mitts, he would actually take these off starting on day three of his life) then he would scratch himself all up, even with short nails he would rake them across his face. most of the Gerber and Carter long-sleeve newborn stuff had attached hand mitts.

i have been tempted to get the Angel Care monitor but then i think i am just being paranoid. however reading stories like yours Pink Asscher makes me think about it again.
Mara--just want to say we love the side snaps too! I was so bummed to find out they are much harder to find after 6 months. C is still wearing a few at 18 mo''s.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
My husband!!
3.gif
When I was dealing with the DVT last summer he had to take over nearly all of the day-to-day baby care and he is awesome!!

- Sometimes I will carry a larger purse so I can stick a diaper and small pack of wipes in it if we''re just running out and don''t need to take the whole diaper bag.

- Johnson''s Baby Wash. I got so much at my two showers that I haven''t had to buy any and we use it every bath time. It does double duty and washes hair and body with no tears.

- The Children''s Place sleepers. Perfect fit for my tall, skinny son and they last. They are also reasonably priced.

- Dr. Brown''s sippy cups. The lid screws on to prevent leaks and the handles are removable.

- A "slap-chop". When J started on solids we used one all the time and just gave him whatever we were eating instead of using most of the jarred 3rd foods.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
janine....i know i am so bummed they are so hard to find. right now we are in that weird weather where J still needs long sleeve and only carters makes them in LS SS after 3 months but i have gone to 2 BRU and they don''t have them. i am still using some of the gerber 0-3 t''s and they don''t cover his belly and totally ride up under his shoulders. my mom is always asking me why his clothes don''t fit when he has a whole closet of stuff, haha.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 10:14:35 AM
Author: Mara
janine....i know i am so bummed they are so hard to find. right now we are in that weird weather where J still needs long sleeve and only carters makes them in LS SS after 3 months but i have gone to 2 BRU and they don''t have them. i am still using some of the gerber 0-3 t''s and they don''t cover his belly and totally ride up under his shoulders. my mom is always asking me why his clothes don''t fit when he has a whole closet of stuff, haha.
LOL, C squeezes in a few 6 mo''s ones once in awhile and they are popping their buttons. I''ve converted to over the head undershirts, but still search out kimono shirts. Baby Gap has some which they consider "activewear" and I have a couple organic ones which cost a fortune. Funny enough it wasn''t the organic egyptian cotton I cared about, I wanted the side snaps!

Girlrocks

Brilliant_Rock
I have 4 kids and this SURE makes my life easier...

martini.gif

Oops...is that not what you were talking about??
9.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2010 9:21:23 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Mara, I know they sell some sort of plastic ''mommy clip'' that is the same idea as a carabiner but overpriced and not metal. I bought two so I could hang my large diaper bag on it (though I never have). Those pacis are awesome! We use a paci pod which also works well. I like having one handy!

Pink, we also have the angel care monitor. I use it with my summer video monitor (MUST HAVE!) b/c the audio is so nice on it.

lizzy, not sure if that website has the measurements but it is a tad larger than those pop-up travel wipes. It fits in all of my medium size purses. Plus I think it is really cute. They have tons of fabric choices. I have a coach keychain that has a little wallet attached. I agree it is GREAT to have something smaller for easy access.

pandora, what is a mama jacket?
This

I love mine!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2010 11:53:50 AM
Author: Girlrocks
I have 4 kids and this SURE makes my life easier...

martini.gif

Oops...is that not what you were talking about??
9.gif

LOL. Completely what I was going to write.

sugarpie honeybun

Shiny_Rock
We live in a noisy part of the city and can't live without DS' SleepMate White Noise Machine. I say "can't live without" because without it, DS would wake up constantly. He is a super light sleeper. This little machine blocks out all of the background noise including tv's, sirens, dogs barking - you name it.

41VE5MXW2SL__AA300_.jpg

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Yay I love threads like this one!

One thing that is a life saver for me is the munchkin formula dispenser. I take it with me when we''re out of the house and it''s great because I don''t have to premix her bottle and risk having to throw it away.

powdered%20formula%20dispenser_hero_lg.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
The picture didn''t upload for some reason but you can see it in the link.

Also, I cannot live without my sound machine which has been affectionally titled as the Baby Crack Machine on another mommy site
9.gif
. Seriously, it''s awesome. MIL got it for us as a gift and we used it when we transitioned DD into her room. The rain sound helps block out all the noises around her since she shares a wall with the TV and we go to bed late. It also helps me out a lot because I don''t hear little noises at night that would normally drive me insane like grunting or when she moves around. It also has a projector that buys me a lot of extra time in the morning because she gets entertained with it.

Homedics Lullaby Sound n Spa Machine

P.S. I have no idea why it''s so expensive at Walgreens. You can get it for $20 at BBB.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Fiery, I use the formula dispenser too and i love it!!!!!!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i heartily ditto fiery's baby crack machine recommend.

there are 500000 million products out there designed to lull your baby to sleep and/or play music for them or give you white noise etc etc.

i didn't want to get a cd player and make or buy CD's, but we wanted something to play continuously at a soft level at night since our house is noisy and creaky with old wood floors... i don't know why i bothered wondering what to get for so long.

BCM plays continuously OR lets you set a timer.
it has lullabies AND white noise, 3 of each. i use white noise for night sleep and the lullaby for daytime naps.
and it has the projector options with 3 CD's that come with.
for $20.

the Fisher Price and other options out there are all like $40-60 depending on what you get, if it has a projector it's def at least $50. and most of these would only play for 15-20 min not continuously.

we also have the Sleep Sheep on the Go which we LOVE and is great for portable attachment to car seat or stroller. it's $18 at amazon and play for 28 or 45 minutes. sometimes we use the BCM in conjunction with the sheep and the kid doesn't have a prayer.
3.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results