shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite vs heat (jeweler says stone can't handle heat)

jrzgrl1119

Shiny_Rock
I have a ring that has an 8 mm moissanite in the center with moissanite side stones. I would like to have the main stone swapped out with a different stone. My jeweler has worked with moissanite before for me and has no issue. He said that if he removed the main stone he's concerned that the prongs will break. He said that he would have to retip the ring and that the side melee would crack. I thought moissanite could handle heat better then that. Has anyone delt with this?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moissanite is as hard/stable as sapphire, so I have no clue what the issue would be.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I have a ring that has an 8 mm moissanite in the center with moissanite side stones. I would like to have the main stone swapped out with a different stone. My jeweler has worked with moissanite before for me and has no issue. He said that if he removed the main stone he's concerned that the prongs will break. He said that he would have to retip the ring and that the side melee would crack. I thought moissanite could handle heat better then that. Has anyone delt with this?
I had a mall jeweler say this to me when I bought my first ring and wanted to get it tested for platinum but I have sized rings and had multiple custom rings made with no problem. Does your jeweler do the work himself or send it out? Sometimes they say this because they don’t want to be liable for a stone purchased from somewhere else. Especially if you say you got it from China. An experienced jeweler should not have a problem with cracking the stones. I am not sure about the prongs though as it depends on how small they are and the type of metal used.

jrzgrl1119

Shiny_Rock
I had a mall jeweler say this to me when I bought my first ring and wanted to get it tested for platinum but I have sized rings and had multiple custom rings made with no problem. Does your jeweler do the work himself or send it out? Sometimes they say this because they don’t want to be liable for a stone purchased from somewhere else. Especially if you say you got it from China. An experienced jeweler should not have a problem with cracking the stones. I am not sure about the prongs though as it depends on how small they are and the type of metal used.

It's 18k gold. He does the work himself. He seems experienced but he mostly deals with diamonds. I'm not sure what to do about getting this stone swapped out: ( I've emailed a few other jewelers in the area to see if they work with Moissanite.

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
It's 18k gold. He does the work himself. He seems experienced but he mostly deals with diamonds. I'm not sure what to do about getting this stone swapped out: ( I've emailed a few other jewelers in the area to see if they work with Moissanite.
Quickjewelryrepairs.com does a fantastic job with setting and they have no issue with setting moissanite. I have used them in the past to set both diamonds and moissanite. Very reasonably priced and their website is very easy to use. Highly recommend for setting.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moissanite is very stable but it does glow a strange red colour when heated (it goes back to white). Tell the jeweller to not let glow red for more than a few seconds and not to quench/ pickle it until it has cooled. Moissanite is actually more heat tolerant than diamonds but jewellers working on “other people’s gems” say they won’t take any responsibility for damage during work. This is what I’ve found.

jrzgrl1119

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for yourour help and advice. I did find a jeweler local that seemed fine to work with my ring and swap stones. I think this will be my jeweler from now on. Very friendly, even brought toys out for my 3 year old to play with while talked!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results