shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite Co lab sapphires

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all! I'm planning on purchasing a pair of these halo earrings from Moissanite Co.

https://www.moissaniteco.com/round-brilliant-moissanite-halo-earrings-p-16829.html

I'm thinking about getting coloured centre stones and was considering their lab kashmir sapphires set into the halos instead of colourless moissies. Does anyone have coloured lab stones from MC? I'm curious about the cut and the 'real life' appearance.

Thanks!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know who provides them the lab-sapphires? Not all lab stones are well-cut and they look like colored lumps. You could ask who cuts them and are they precision or native cut.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a great idea @rockysalamander , I hadn't thought to ask, but I definitely will. Thanks!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are several precious cutters who work with lab rough. You could also ask moco if they will set an outside stone. Just a note that on another buzzy board, moco has been falling out of favor. Some workmanshop and honesty issues.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Precious=precision. Can't edit on my phone.:mrgreen2:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had Michael Edgett from the Gem Shoppe custom cut a very nice lab sapphire for my french cut setting that my ACC was in previously. It was cut to the same measurements as my ACC diamond so it would fit in the setting. His rough is gorgeous and he has many colors available. Since this stone was going in a vintage setting he cut it more like an antique cut. It takes a bit because he does this on the side but it is worth the wait. This was about $180.

https://www.facebook.com/thegemshoppe/

MichaelE1.jpg MichaelE2.jpg

20180818_071138[1].jpg 20180818_071124[1].jpg

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had Michael Edgett from the Gem Shoppe custom cut a very nice lab sapphire for my french cut setting that my ACC was in previously. It was cut to the same measurements as my ACC diamond so it would fit in the setting. His rough is gorgeous and he has many colors available. Since this stone was going in a vintage setting he cut it more like an antique cut. It takes a bit because he does this on the side but it is worth the wait. This was about $180.

https://www.facebook.com/thegemshoppe/

MichaelE1.jpg MichaelE2.jpg

20180818_071138[1].jpg 20180818_071124[1].jpg
Gorgeous!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my @redwood66 that is stunning!! Such a velvety rich blue, and the cut is sensational!

Thanks again @rockysalamander , your comments are extremely helpful. I might explore a few different options first, if that is the case with M.Co.

milktoasts

Rough_Rock
Would definitely recommend going the custom/precision cut route!

I've purchased 2 pre-owned rings (mostly for the settings) that happened to come with moissaniteco lab stones. One was a ruby modified round and one was an emerald cut blue sapphire.

The color of the ruby was beautiful, a deep blood red with no pink undertones. However I was completely unimpressed by the cut - the "meets" were really sloppy and because the stone was 9mm it was easy to tell.
As for the sapphire, again the color was beautiful and it looked fine as an emerald cut so maybe that's a safe one to get from them.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @milktoasts that has made my decision for me! I think I`ll stick to all moissies for now, and perhaps swap the centre stones for precision cut coloured ones, at a later time. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Just to help solidify your decision, I’m a member of another forum and someone was in contact with MoissaniteCo about their lab sapphires. She spoke with Chris, and when she asked him how their lab sapphires are made, he said he has no idea but says they come from the same source as Chatham. Uh, how do you not even know where your products are coming from???

I’ve seen too many threads with folks going through horrible experiences to risk giving them any of my money. I think you’re making a wise decision.

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve ordered quite a few of MoCo sapphires and they left me unimpressed. The cuts were of an “ok” native cut quality and lots of windowing. I sent them all back. The emeralds are an amazing colour, but again, poor cut quality. I’m currently getting a lab cobalt spinel custom cut because I just can’t find a lab sapphire I like. So I’m summary, I also recommend getting a lab stone custom cut by a talented cutter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results