shape
carat
color
clarity

MMD of 2 carat or more?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ellienbella

Rough_Rock
Is it possible to get a colorless (or near colorless) man-made diamond that is 2 carats or larger???

my fiance and I are interested in buying an expensive setting that will accomodate a large stone, but using a less expensive stone for the first few years of our marriage (we are a blended family with 3 children and decided to hold off on an expensive diamond). My fiance is a Navy officer and told me that while overseas, he thought he did see white MMD''s that were larger than 1 ct.

Any recommendations?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not that I know of...and FWIW man made colorless diamonds aren't really cheaper than regular ones. The savings is in the colored diamonds.

Many places try to pass off their fake "diamond coated CZ's" and things like that as man made diamonds. But they are totally different.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
They haven't been able to figure out the HPHT (high pressure, high temperature) synthetic white diamond yet. Every once in a while a white will pop up, but it's rare and small. The production thus far is fancy colored diamonds, and the size limit so far is about a 1.5 carat finished stone.

CVD (chemical vapor deposition) synthetic diamonds can be a kind of "off white", and larger, but they're heavily included.

If you like fancy colors you might considered the HPHT synthetics. Some are quite beautiful.

Have you considered a moissanite? They look pretty good. They have a light touch of body color (J-K neighborhood) that makes them look more realistic. They're pretty bright and lively.

ellienbella

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much Rich and my apologies for not reading your response sooner... I have been solely obsessed with the setting as of late (can''t decide if we want an ornate Jack kelege or something simpler.... hey, if you have opinions on that, I''d welcome those too!!!! :)

We have seen moissanite and really liked them. Some do seem whiter than others. Unfortunately, I haven''t found any moissanite dealers near me, and the one dealer I found near my fiance in DC tried to deter us from using it as a center stone. My hope was to ise it in a diamond setting.

Thoughts?

Again, thank you for your input!

Elizabeth

Clark McEwen

Rough_Rock
Correction....Gemesis Diamonds are available in polished sizes up to 4.5cts

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Interesting. Is this a recent development, Clark?

I be interested in reading more about this if you could direct me to any articles regarding it.

Thanks.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
like Rich I did not know that they were making large colorless diamonds. If they are I suspect they would not be an "inexpensive" alternative to a natural diamond.

Another thing to consider is a colored gemstone as a "placeholder". which can range from inexpensive (amethyst) to very expensive depending on the gemstone you are considering.

A third and last thing I want to mention is that I typically think of focusing on the stone, and then finding or making a setting for that stone. If you do buy an expensive setting for a large stone, you never know if you are going to find the "right stone" for that setting, which would be a shame.

Alexei Zarakhani

Rough_Rock
Clark meant yellow-orange diamonds in polished sizes up to 4.5 ct. Gemesis does not commercially produce colorless diamonds. As an experiment, maybe - but not in the sizes that Clark mentioned.

Clark McEwen

Rough_Rock
Hi Rich,

Gemesis has been making the larger stones for about 2 years now, but there has been nothing publish with regards to this.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/8/2009 7:35:07 PM
Author: Clark McEwen
Hi Rich,

Gemesis has been making the larger stones for about 2 years now, but there has been nothing publish with regards to this.

Gemesis has been producing polished (fancy color) diamonds up to 4.5 carat size for the last two years and nothing has been published in regards to it?

Have you been selling them?

Clark McEwen

Rough_Rock
Hi Rich,

There have been a couple of industry "blurbs" that have come out about the larger stones but nothing of any consequence. Yes, the large stones that have been grown have been sold onto Gemesis customers...in most cases as rough.

Cheers,
Clark

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results