shape
carat
color
clarity

mixing platinum with white gold?

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a ver noticeable difference if you mix and match white gold with platinum? Let's say a platinum engagement ring with a white gold band. How noticeable is that? If you have any pictures to share, I'd love to see them! I currently have platinum rings, but love the affordability of white gold. I bought a few sterling silver rings from Etsy to try out different styles of bands. I was surprised by how warm the sterling silver was! It almost looked gold to me, but perhaps that is because I am used to the cool tone of platinum? Anyway, I felt the silver was a bit too warm for me, so I am worried I might find white gold that way as well. Thank you!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that I could tell, now 18K white gold can loose it's shine and look not so great with my platinum ring but one ring I have it from the platinum family Palladium shows a big difference imho. I think you should wear what makes you happy !! :)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't one metal eat the other? I can never remember which way it goes though. That's why I've never mixed platinum with white gold for daily wear.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that I could tell, now 18K white gold can loose it's shine and look not so great with my platinum ring but one ring I have it from the platinum family Palladium shows a big difference imho. I think you should wear what makes you happy !! :)

huh, I wear a palladium band between my plat engagement ring and wedding band and I think they look basically the same. Palladium is a little harder so its patina is developing much more slowly and I think it is ever so slightly grayer. My engagement ring/wedding band are 90/10 plat/iridium.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dunno it's just what I see. not only are mine not the same, the palladium is much lighter and darker. To each his own my Irish mom always said. I have 18k white gold ring and within 6 months of dipping the danged thing goes light yellow, maybe it's something in my skin, lucky you.

huh, I wear a palladium band between my plat engagement ring and wedding band and I think they look basically the same. Palladium is a little harder so its patina is developing much more slowly and I think it is ever so slightly grayer. My engagement ring/wedding band are 90/10 plat/iridium.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on how colour tolerant you are, how substantial the amount of visible metal is in each ring, and how much melee the pieces have. I have worn a platinum solitaire e-ring with a pavee WG band for years, and can't tell the difference from the front because all you see is the pavee, and the miniscule amount of metal isn't really enough to see a colour difference between the two (and neither has damaged the other). From the back (where it's solid metal for both rings and where the metal is more substantial) if you look closely, you will see that the WG is a tinge darker and more yellow than the platinum, but how noticeable this will be to people is probably the same as asking how many people would notice the colour difference between an I coloured diamond and a G. Some can, some can't; it bothers some, it wouldn't others.

If you had substantial bands side by side I think most people would see the difference.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve worn platinum (e-ring) with white gold (wedding band) for 15 years and the color difference is barely noticeable to me. I think I would be able to notice it more if the wedding band didn’t have diamonds. I did start to wear a white gold spacer to protect the prongs on my wedding band last year (year 14) because I could tell my new e-ring was rubbing against the prongs.

B86A59A0-4C4C-4312-8C77-681DD5DB8477.jpeg F9911DB1-6816-45F5-83BC-02E02E08889C.jpeg 89E86CD1-C5EB-4452-896C-26A2A0D070C1.jpeg

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you Tekate! I will keep this in mind.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve worn platinum (e-ring) with white gold (wedding band) for 15 years and the color difference is barely noticeable to me. I think I would be able to notice it more if the wedding band didn’t have diamonds. I did start to wear a white gold spacer to protect the prongs on my wedding band last year (year 14) because I could tell my new e-ring was rubbing against the prongs.

B86A59A0-4C4C-4312-8C77-681DD5DB8477.jpeg F9911DB1-6816-45F5-83BC-02E02E08889C.jpeg 89E86CD1-C5EB-4452-896C-26A2A0D070C1.jpeg

These pictures are super helpful - thank you very much! To my eyes there is not an incredibly big difference between the platinum and white gold. Your set is just gorgeous, by the way!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on how colour tolerant you are, how substantial the amount of visible metal is in each ring, and how much melee the pieces have. I have worn a platinum solitaire e-ring with a pavee WG band for years, and can't tell the difference from the front because all you see is the pavee, and the miniscule amount of metal isn't really enough to see a colour difference between the two (and neither has damaged the other). From the back (where it's solid metal for both rings and where the metal is more substantial) if you look closely, you will see that the WG is a tinge darker and more yellow than the platinum, but how noticeable this will be to people is probably the same as asking how many people would notice the colour difference between an I coloured diamond and a G. Some can, some can't; it bothers some, it wouldn't others.

If you had substantial bands side by side I think most people would see the difference.

Thank you CMD2014 - this is an excellent point. If you have stones in the rings and less metal is showing, then it will be less obvious. That makes sense! I will keep this in mind.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you distracts - I never knew that platinum scratched more easily than white gold. Good to know that you find the palladium band to be similar in color to the platinum. That is helpful!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Doesn't one metal eat the other? I can never remember which way it goes though. That's why I've never mixed platinum with white gold for daily wear.

Thanks Lyra - I had not heard this! I have never mixed them because for years and years I never bought any new jewelry. Now I have a few things I would like and I am starting to consider if I can add white gold to the mix. I think if it is an occasional band, it probably will be okay to mix them.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can definitely tell the difference and I don't like it. Platinum is a stronger gray and the 14k white gold I have looks yellow toned next to it. I don't like it on my finger but I do like it mixed pieces. I wear my white gold pieces with my platinum, just not next to each other.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I can definitely tell the difference and I don't like it. Platinum is a stronger gray and the 14k white gold I have looks yellow toned next to it. I don't like it on my finger but I do like it mixed pieces. I wear my white gold pieces with my platinum, just not next to each other.

Thank you - that is helpful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results