shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing metals - does plat. eat gold, or does gold eat plat.? How about silver?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have heard both:

1. Plat./silver are softer and more easily scratched than gold, so gold rings/pendants will eat plat./silver rings/chains (though plat. can presumably be repolished with negligible metal loss).

2. Plat./silver are soft, so they pick up grit and become abrasive, and will eat away at adjacent gold which does exhibit this property.

What actually happens?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Silver is softest, then the usual gold alloys (in other words, I''m not talking 24K), then platinum.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
depends on the alloy used. Generally gold alloy is harder than plat alloy but do not think that will be a problem if contact surface are smooth.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re:

Stone-cold11|1273077601|2563254 said:
depends on the alloy used. Generally gold alloy is harder than plat alloy but do not think that will be a problem if contact surface are smooth.

I am reviving this thread...so are there problems? or not?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Re:

slg47|1315271795|3010378 said:
Stone-cold11|1273077601|2563254 said:

I am reviving this thread...so are there problems? or not?

Great question. My friend just got a white gold wedding band to wear with her plat solitaire. Which metal will prevail??

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Mixing metals - does plat. eat gold, or does gold eat pl

after only three days of wearing an 18k palladium white gold eternity (with thin, flat channel-like 'walls') with my platinum ering (james meyer 1345, has the wraps) my eternity was all scratched up and dull! i have a palladium white gold spacer on order so that at least i can spare the eternity band's thin walls. i'll try to remember to report back on the condition of the spacer after a few days of wearing it.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Do not mix metals.
Platinum will wear away other rings. But is easier to bend (in the case of most alloys).

Lower Karat golds wear away higher K golds.
White golds, especially when alloyed with palladium, will wear away yellow golds.

Never ever wear silver with gold.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Garry H (Cut Nut)|1315284249|3010494 said:
Never ever wear silver with gold.

Why not?
What happens?

Rae~

Shiny_Rock

My e-ring and wedding ring are platinum (95% Plat 5% Ruth). (FYI, the diamonds in the rings do not extend past the metal of the rings, so wear from girdle rub is not, I believe, an issue.) I *hate* the feel (and look) of even-remotely-tight rings, so while my rings are fine for most of the year, on really cold days I have to be careful that they don't slip off.

I have a plain silver ring that I used for initial ring sizing, and it is now my "heavy labour" ring (gardening etc). It is a little smaller than my wedding set.

I'd love to be able to wear this silver ring occasionally as a "safety collar" for my wedding set. Is there reason not to? If I do, how long before I see damage (if any) to the platinum set?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rae~|1315288403|3010511 said:
My e-ring and wedding ring are platinum (95% Plat 5% Ruth). (FYI, the diamonds in the rings do not extend past the metal of the rings, so wear from girdle rub is not, I believe, an issue.) I *hate* the feel (and look) of even-remotely-tight rings, so while my rings are fine for most of the year, on really cold days I have to be careful that they don't slip off.

I have a plain silver ring that I used for initial ring sizing, and it is now my "heavy labour" ring (gardening etc). It is a little smaller than my wedding set.

I'd love to be able to wear this silver ring occasionally as a "safety collar" for my wedding set. Is there reason not to? If I do, how long before I see damage (if any) to the platinum set?

Answering 2 birds with one post (hi Kenny):
the silver ring will be worn away by the platinum rings

Rae~

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the reply, Garry. That outcome I can handle, since the silver ring is much more easily replaceable.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rae~|1315290524|3010518 said:
Thanks for the reply, Garry. That outcome I can handle, since the silver ring is much more easily replaceable.
Please bookmark this thread and report back after 6 months or so Rae

Rae~

Shiny_Rock

I have bookmarked the thread and will certainly report back but it may take more than 6 months as we are heading into summer now and I don't expect to need to use the silver ring for at least another 9 months (sans travel to cold climes). But I will try to keep track of when/how often I do use it and if/when I notice any wear, I will be sure to note it here.

Cheers :))

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock

Is it ok to mix 14k white and 14k rose gold?

audball

Ideal_Rock

I was wondering that too Tuckins1 - is itokay to mis different colors of gold? What about finishes, say matte with polished?

I suspect maybe the rhodium plating on white gold could wear away wearing it with either rose/yellow, but that's just speculation.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

so if I wanted to get a spacer band in rose gold to wear with my plat set...the plat would be OK but the gold would wear away?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

audball|1315328302|3010779 said:
I was wondering that too Tuckins1 - is itokay to mis different colors of gold? What about finishes, say matte with polished?

I suspect maybe the rhodium plating on white gold could wear away wearing it with either rose/yellow, but that's just speculation.

14k white would wear away 14 yellow fastest and 14 rose not quite as fast - this is just an educated guess based on experiance with an 18K rose white and yellow chain I made for my mother in law and was able to inspect the wear rates over several years.

surface finishes and rhodium plating should not make much difference - both will wear off quickly whatever you wear beside them because as Yssie mentioned the main abrasive is often the fine dust - grit..

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Man, I hear ya and I'm sure you know a heck of a lot more than I, but my mom's been wearing her rings for over 55 years - plat er/wb stacked with 2 YG sapphire and 2 YG ruby bands (all channel set) - and these were HER mother's rings before that(married 1920). They look beautiful - of course they have surface scratches, but not worn thin, out of round or in anyway damaged - what gives? She only takes them off to sleep and bathe and wash dishes.

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock

Hi Gary

What about same type and karat golds made with different alloys? For example most 18k white gold in the US are a nickel blend whereas 18k white golds in Australia and Europe use palladium. Would it be safe to wear a 18k nickel white gold ring with a 18k palladium white gold ring?

Same question with platinum made using various mixes. Espcially older rings with a 90% platinum content worn with more recent rings that tend to be 95%.

TIA

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

bleeblue|1315455309|3012371 said:
Hi Gary

What about same type and karat golds made with different alloys? For example most 18k white gold in the US are a nickel blend whereas 18k white golds in Australia and Europe use palladium. Would it be safe to wear a 18k nickel white gold ring with a 18k palladium white gold ring?

Same question with platinum made using various mixes. Espcially older rings with a 90% platinum content worn with more recent rings that tend to be 95%.

TIA
I think what metal is alloyed with platinum might have more impact, and I guess that palladium wg will wear out nickel wg.

But these are not from actual witnessed experiance....a grain of salt please

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock

What about wearing yellow gold with rose gold. I wonder if rose gold will eat away yellow gold.

cereal_diamond

Rough_Rock

motownmama|1315369524|3011339 said:
Man, I hear ya and I'm sure you know a heck of a lot more than I, but my mom's been wearing her rings for over 55 years - plat er/wb stacked with 2 YG sapphire and 2 YG ruby bands (all channel set) - and these were HER mother's rings before that(married 1920). They look beautiful - of course they have surface scratches, but not worn thin, out of round or in anyway damaged - what gives? She only takes them off to sleep and bathe and wash dishes.

This is just a thought but I think it could be due to the fact that we're seeing alot more cast rings compared to handmade. I should think that back in the day handmade rings would've have probably been more common?? 1920's isn't that far off but just a guess :razz:

danyhutch

Rough_Rock

Great question Yssie!!! Always was a little confused about it as well! :confused: Thanks for posting!!!

Parkerswife

Rough_Rock

What about palladium & yellow gold? Will one wear the other away? I have a yellow gold (made in Aus) engagement ring with a palladium circle around my diamond (bezel set) & have been considering a two tone wedder to go with it, yellow gold in the centre, palladium on the outside - will the palladium wear out the yellow gold as it rubs against my engagement ring?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Parkerswife|1316403083|3020467 said:
What about palladium & yellow gold? Will one wear the other away? I have a yellow gold (made in Aus) engagement ring with a palladium circle around my diamond (bezel set) & have been considering a two tone wedder to go with it, yellow gold in the centre, palladium on the outside - will the palladium wear out the yellow gold as it rubs against my engagement ring?
Post a photo please

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock

This thread has some great answers. If someone can answer does rose gold eat away yellow gold , all the mixing of metals questions would be answered. Thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Gothgrrl|1316465182|3020893 said:
This thread has some great answers. If someone can answer does rose gold eat away yellow gold , all the mixing of metals questions would be answered. Thanks.
sorry, thought i had posted - it must not have survived.

Many years ago I made an 18k white, rose and yellow gold chin. Each link was the same thickness.
After many years I checked for wear and the white wore the least, the yellow the most. The rose very slightly wore out the yellow gold - but a tiny amount in comparsion to the white vs others

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you Garry.

rogrant84

Rough_Rock

All the while I thought platinum is the most durable of the three that is why it is being used on airplane boosters/thrusters that it doesn't melt easily.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

rogrant84|1319010930|3043320 said:
All the while I thought platinum is the most durable of the three that is why it is being used on airplane boosters/thrusters that it doesn't melt easily.
Most girls are not that hot! :angryfire:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results