shape
carat
color
clarity

Mission Accomplished!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

roadpupp

Rough_Rock

Well, after some gentle chiding, I am finally posting up the details of my engagement. Pricescope people helped me find my stone (thanks Quaeritur) and gave me advice about the actual proposal. So here is the story: ( it is long!)

I knew I wanted to propose in the fall as my summer was busy with work travel to Asia and racing. Stacey and I moved in together on Valentine's day after dating for almost a year. I pretty much knew she was the one right away. I was gone a lot on the weekends during the summer and wanted a vacation that would focus on the two of us, doing whatever she wanted to do. Turns out that what she wanted to do was lay on a beach and drink frozen drinks out of hollowed out pineapples!

I started spending my lunch hours 10 blocks away on 47th street. My girl had only given me one hint about the ring style she liked. A Verragio ad ripped out of a magazine about the time we moved in together. I teased her about leaving me hints and she got embarrassed and threw it out. I knew that in six months I would probably be ring shopping and looked up Verragio and bookmarked the website.
Now it is August and I started learning about stones. The picture in the ad had a round brilliant three stone setting but pave stones on the sides of the settings. I found Shenoa and Co on 47th to be a great place to do business (despite their Ebay store). The production manager there took lots of time with me and was totally low pressure. He advised me to decide my budget and stick to it. I found a setting that was similar to the one image my girl liked but without the pave. I didn’t have it sized so we could return it if she wanted something else. I got the Sarin reports on several stones and kept running them through the HCA. I found one that was a Tolkowsky ideal and it was the same price as the other AGS 000 stones. I bought it and hid it under the bed for 5 weeks waiting for our vacation.

We arrived at the resort in Mexico and the place was as beautiful as we could have hoped. We walked around and peeked into the various restaurants and then went back to the room to change. I had brought the small camera case with us and hid the ring box in there and stuffed it waaaaay back in the safe.
I read that the Italian restaurant was supposed to be the most romantic and it sure looked nice. I suggested that we eat there the following night. Now that I knew the lay of the land, It seemed certain that the next night would be the night. After all the travel, we were tired and feeling awfully romantic, so we went to bed early

The next day we didn’t have anything planned and just lay by the beach and the pool enjoying the sun and the great food and drinks. I knew from reading reviews that they give honeymoon couples special treatment with decorating the room. Each floor has a concierge and I found ours, Omar at his desk. I told him I was planning to propose and asked if he could arrange to have my room decorated while we were at dinner. He wasn’t sure as they had several weddings that night and the decorating staff was busy. I gave him a $20 and he promised to do his best.

A quick rain shower drove us indoors where we relaxed and took a nap. I couldn’t sleep from all the anticipation and got up to wander and check in with Omar. I found him and he said all was well. I had another margarita in hopes of actually getting to sleep at some point. I never did. We woke up, took our time getting ready and left for dinner right on time at 8pm and the meal and atmosphere was excellent. I had several glasses of wine trying not to seem nervous. After we finished dinner, we left the restaurant and saw the photographer’s table had pictures from earlier that day by the pool. We bought the one with her and a tiny monkey and even though he was packed up for the night, I convinced the photographer to take several pictures of us as I knew the girl would want pictures for posterity.
I suggested a walk on the beach. Instead she wanted to go to the jewelry store they had in the lobby! I told her she could go later and I promised to get her something sparkly during our trip! (she had no idea how sparkly).

It was a little windy and we were the only people on the beach. The waves were crashing and her stiletto heels didn’t work very well in the fine white sand. I picked her up and carried her over to a lounge chair under a palapa. There we sat half lying down cuddled together. We talked about how great it was to be here and how amazing the last year and half has been, even better since we moved in together.
I had my camera case on the ground to my left and fumbled with it to get the box out with my left hand. We were looking into each other’s eyes and finally I said

“Stacey?” my voice cracking a little with emotion.
She said afterward that once she heard my voice crack her mind raced and she realized what was happening.
“will you marry me and be my wife?”

and with that I pulled the box up from below my side and into her view.

She gasped, and said “Yes, I will marry you”.

She asked me to put the ring on her finger and she hugged me and cried for a long time kissing me and we repeated that we were going to get married. It wasn’t until several minutes later that she actually stopped hugging me long enough to actually look at the ring! I loved that it wasn’t about the hardware. She was astounded at it and totally surprised. She said she had hoped that it MIGHT happen on this trip, but much more likely in the spring. The fact that she hadn’t gotten any inkling that I was researching rings and stones left her utterly surprised and ecstatic that I had sprung it on her.

After 20 minutes on the beach reveling in the moment, we went back to our room. When I opened the door, the lights were dimmed and classical music was playing. Rose petals covered the bedspread and the floor by the bed. There was a heart made out of towels on the bed that looked like two swans as well as a huge flower arrangement of exotics. A plate of pastries with “will you marry me”, and a bucket of champagne was on the table. She was blown away yet again and because of the late hour only called one person, her twin sister to tell her the good news. We stayed up until 2am enjoying the excitement of planning our future.
Back in New York we went to the jewelers so she could look at other settings and ultimately she decided to keep the setting I chose! We had it sized down to 4.5 for her. She loved the stone and the setting and said it was more thatn she ever hoped for. Score!
Thanks to all my friends here at Pricescope for all your help on a very successful proposal.

handsm.jpg

roadpupp

Rough_Rock
Could''t figure out how to attach more than one. This was just before the big night.

bignight2sm.jpg

roadpupp

Rough_Rock
wont'' load above.

handsm1.jpg

yanekie25

Shiny_Rock
Congrats!!!!!!!!!! That's a amazing story. How sweet of a guy you are.
36.gif
36.gif

roadpupp

Rough_Rock
Not our stone, but all mine are blurry!

Verragio Platinum setting with .25 sidestones

.9 carat RB GIA Ideal (0.7 on the HCA) AGS000 G color SI2

depth 60.7
table 55.1-3.43 mm
crown 34.1.-14.9percen'
pavll40.7.-42.7percent
culet 0.8

webring.jpg

roadpupp

Rough_Rock
another catalog shot

Webring22.jpg

roadpupp

Rough_Rock

Last one unless I can get some sharper ones with my digicam.

ring 003sm.jpg

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
YAY!!!!!!! Congratulations roadpupp and Stacey!!!!! The proposal sounds just amazing (great job!!), and I think it''s cute that she didn''t even look at the ring until way after she''d had it on her hand! Beautiful ring too! Did she need to get it sized? (more pics! but that goes without saying, right?
2.gif
) You guys make a beautiful couple! Best of luck in all your future holds!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock

Oh, that was just the sweetest story!

And boy, Stacey''s really gorgeous! Congratulations to you both!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

And all done without Tom Cruise!!!

2.gif
Wonderful proposal and congrats to you both!! Lovely sparkler too!

cheers--Sharon

sevens one

Ideal_Rock

Congrats.

36.gif
36.gif

Thanks for sharing your proposal story. She''s a lovely gal!

emlove.gif
emrose.gif

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
THERE you are!! I was wondering how things went!! I am thrilled for you and think your proposal was AWESOME!! You are a beautiful couple and best of luck to you!
PS - I took your advice and we switched our honeymoon to Mexico! We didn''t stay at Secrets, but at the Aventura Spa instead. I am so glad we did! Thanks for the heads up!

roadpupp

Rough_Rock

Thanks Paula

Mexico especially at Playa Del Carmen is great. I heard wonderful things about Adventura spa. It all worked out very well and I am so glad that: she liked the ring, we have a great story to tell about the engagement, and that we both had so much fun!

That was the easy part, now to plan a wedding!

-Roadpupp

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock

I was just thinking about you the other day and had been wondering about how your porposal went...congratulations! Your story was gorgeous, as well as your fiancee and her ring!

36.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Awww, what a sweet story! Congratulations! The ring is beautiful.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock

Sweet story, beautiful ring, and gorgeous girl--what more could a guy want?

2.gif
1.gif

Congrats!

36.gif

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
great proposal story roadpupp
1.gif
the ring and your girl are gorgeous! looks great on her hand, congrats to you both
36.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock

What a great story roadpup..

I ADORE THAT RING. Its just perfect. And wow! Your fiancee is BEAUTIFUL!!

Melissa

psuheather

Shiny_Rock

*Sigh*.............

Those of us who are anxiously awaiting our moment are very envious!!!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Great story. Congratulations on your engagement. May your life together be blessed!

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement. You make a beautiful couple. The ring is gorgeous and your story so romantic.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock

AWWWWWW!!!

9.gif
36.gif
9.gif
36.gif
9.gif

I love the proposal story, I love the ring, and you guys make a stunning couple! It just doesn''t get any better

1.gif
I got all teary-eyed reading about your amazing plan. Again, congratulations, and enjoy this next chapter in your lives together!

roadpupp

Rough_Rock
Q

Thanks for your general advice and help in tweaking the cut parameters. I give you lots of credit for finding this particular fiery stone.
Q mentioned that one of my potential diamonds was pretty good, but that the pavilion was a little steep. When I was in the store and saw the stats of a similar diamond, I saw that the crown angle was almost the same as the last one but that the pavilion was now a more shallow. I was almost sure it would score off the charts, and it did!! So thanks. This is a testament to how Pricescope can help the average joe find superior diamonds!!!

To the rest, thanks for your kind words. Stacey is indeed a beautiful and wonderful woman and we are very happy together.

Pricescope rocks!!

cambo

Rough_Rock
Roadpupp,

As coincidence would have it, I''m taking my GF to Playa del Carmen next month with the intention of proposing as well! What resort did you stay at?

Congratulations to you and your bride-to-be. That was a great engagement story.
36.gif

roadpupp

Rough_Rock

Cambo

We stayed at Secrets Capri all inclusive. We really liked it because it wasn''t too big and they have real sit down restaurants and top shelf liquor at all the bars. Not cheap though! There are many nice resorts there. We would like to go back in a few years and would probably stay at a little hotel in PDC and just wing it. For the proposal I wanted everything to be perfect though.

We took an excursion to Tulum and then on a huge catamaran to go snorkling. Highly recommended! Also we spent the evening on 5th ave in PDC and really enjoyed it. Just watch out for shady ATMs. We got burned! (the bank returned our money though). Very safe area though.

Good luck and enjoy!

cambo

Rough_Rock
roadpupp, I just sent you a PM.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! Your engagement story is beautiful, as is your FW and her ring. Great job!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results