shape
carat
color
clarity

Mirena price negotiations

annadragon

Shiny_Rock
I know there are a million threads about Mirena. In fact, some of the information in them encouraged me to hop on the Mirena wagon. :)) The problem is I'm paying for it out of pocket. I know the price has increased over the last few years, but I'm surprised at both Bayer and CVSCare Mark's total unwillingness to budge on price since I'm paying cash.

Has anyone recently had success in talking them down from $843? (That's just for the device itself :errrr: :o )
Or is there any alternative source besides Bayer, the manufacturer and CVS Care Mark, the pharmacy/distributor?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, that's definitely an increase. When I got it, they were quoting $450-500 out of pocket (luckily, insurance paid for everything for me). I don't know of any good resources - maybe talk to your local Planned Parenthood?

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
I too would speak with planned parenthood. Depending on your income level they may be able to drastically reduce the cost. I went there when I was between health insurances (waiting for hubbys to kick in - about 6 years ago) and my exam was around $10 based on income at that time.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Try to explore all your options.

1)If you have insurance, sometimes it is a matter of calling them up and saying "hey, I want to use this device, I have a Rx tell me how/who to buy it from so it is covered"
2) Ask around, ask other women you know if you can-NYC for example has a few different grant programs that offer it for free-$100, because it has been subsidized.
3) Canada-I'm serious. There are a number of women I know who have been able to order it online, from a reputable dealer for $150. Their health practitioners encouraged it.

and of course, it's a good time to point out the good that Planned Parenthood does in matters like these, because if the one in your area has been provided with proper funding, they likely have a reduced fee option available as well.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, as others stated, Planned Parenthood.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
After my daughter was born I contacted Planned Parenthood for Mirena pricing as my insurance company (Medical Mutual) won't pay for it and they wanted $750.00 and did not offer any payment plans. Needless to say, I don't have that kind of money so I didn't end up getting it. My OB/GYN is sending yet another letter to the insurance company to try to get approval as I'm now experiencing very heavy bleeding (can't even leave the house) and I can't take BCPs.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
My obgyn doesn't do IUD because how hard it is to get approval for them, and he thinks it's ridiculously expensive to pay out of pocket for it. He told me to go to planned parenthood if I really wanted one for cheaper price. So I ended up not getting one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results