shape
carat
color
clarity

Minty Mistake? Help!

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
In the spirit of spring I wanted to have my mint garnet set. It's not too big (1.17 carats) and I already have this 1 carat diamond ring mounting. The mount is meant for a round stone and my garnet is oval. Would this be a mistake to have set? I kind of like the way it looks, but I am bad at judging things like this. Your feedback is welcome!

_29468.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting looks much too large for the stone, given that it drops completely into the basket right now.
1 ct diamond = 6.5 mm
1 ct oval garnet = 7 x 5 mm (if cut perfectly, which is a rarity for CS)

You might not have an issue with the 7 mm section but the difference between 6.5 mm and 5 mm is too great.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! My first reaction is that it's too big for the setting though. And to my eyes it looks like an oval in a setting that is meant for a round...

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Visually I just don't think that works for me. Once you get the head/prongs adjusted to account for the oval, I think the negative space at the sides will not look right.

S

SparkliesLuver

deskjockey said:
Visually I just don't think that works for me. Once you get the head/prongs adjusted to account for the oval, I think the negative space at the sides will not look right.

+1
Beautiful stone! :)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Not quite right, but lovely stone.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the setting overpowers the color stone.

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone. I am now convinced my mounting will need another stone. I appreciate your help on this!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with other comments, but am really posting to say that your garnet looks lovely.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1429893488|3867191 said:
Agree with other comments, but am really posting to say that your garnet looks lovely.

I agree......

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I waited a long time to find the exact color I wanted. It has a touch of blue that reminds me of cuprian tourmaline. I prefer it to the more yellow versions I've seen. The stone has an amazing glow...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it a Prima stone by any chance?

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
No, I have a friend who has a collection and finally got him to part with it! Is Prima a good resource?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful setting, and a beautiful stone, but they don't go together. :(

That stone would be amazing in rose gold. :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results