Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Millenials go back in time to read about a 1950s wife :)

Bayek

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 11, 2013
Messages
6,662

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
7,008
Tekate|1479138829|4098195 said:
http://viraldart.com/this-1955-good-house-wifes-guide-explains-how-wives-should-treat-their-husbands/


This is the mindset btw that the Womens LIberation movement started from. I find this funny, and my mom, being a housewife of the 50s always put on makeup right before my father got home.. So for a good laugh and a funny read :)
'LOL.

My grandmother was this person. My mom not so much because both my parents, and me, were outside at the barn working until well after dark. She was grateful for Hamburger Helper.
 

YadaYadaYada

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
5,918
A good wife always knows her place :-o

Yeah, I'm good with that. I feel like my DH and I have an old fashioned marriage since he works and I stay home and take care of all other matters. So, I'm going to go with a vintage marriage because if this is considered old fashioned then count me out of that! :loopy:
 

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
578
Stephanelynn
Ditto
in my opinion those were the good days . families had values and stayed together . These days every other marriage ends in divorce .
 

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
3,553
Not sure what is so wrong about looking nice for when your husband comes home.

In my marriage, 35 years later it still keeps the flame going.
 

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 23, 2016
Messages
2,038
9.) Be happy to see him. Free him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him. Listen to him.

I think perhaps I can do half of number 9... :lol:
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
10,433
I might just be in a bad mood but reading this makes me feel nauseous. I need a "vomit" emoji. :nono: I think my anger/shock at reading this comes from a place of realizing that there are people in this country who would like to go back to those days. To the days where men were considered superior to women. Like these gems within the article:

Let him talk first — remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.
ARGGGGGG :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
 

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
3,553
Not sure why posters here think Trump is heading us back toward a 1950s wife.

Looking at Melania, she hardly fits that role..
 

YadaYadaYada

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
5,918
ruby59|1479144010|4098240 said:
Not sure why posters here think Trump is heading us back toward a 1950s wife.

Looking at Melania, she hardly fits that role..
I don't see where you are getting that impression from ruby. First off, I think in order to accomplish this type of lifestyle women would have to stop working and many families simply can't afford to live on one income. Also many women want to have a job outside the home for their own reasons so even if Trump was going to try to steer society in that direction, I just don't see it happening.

Melania is very classy, I saw her on 60 minutes last night and I thought she was lovely.

To me this article was just shared as a look back and not anything more or politically driven.

Edited to include that after re-reading the posts I think you were referring to lovedogs post but I don't see it as political, there will always be certain cultures that would certainly encourage this type of wife and marriage to continue the tradition of their beliefs.
 

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
3,553
It is the timing of these types of threads that make me believe there is an ulterior motive behind it.
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
10,433
StephanieLynn|1479144697|4098249 said:
ruby59|1479144010|4098240 said:
Not sure why posters here think Trump is heading us back toward a 1950s wife.

Looking at Melania, she hardly fits that role..
I don't see where you are getting that impression from ruby. First off, I think in order to accomplish this type of lifestyle women would have to stop working and many families simply can't afford to live on one income. Also many women want to have a job outside the home for their own reasons so even if Trump was going to try to steer society in that direction, I just don't see it happening.

Melania is very classy, I saw her on 60 minutes last night and I thought she was lovely.

To me this article was just shared as a look back and not anything more or politically driven.

Edited to include that after re-reading the posts I think you were referring to lovedogs post but I don't see it as political, there will always be certain cultures that would certainly encourage this type of wife and marriage to continue the tradition of their beliefs.
Wasn't referring to Trump...don't exactly know why people thought I was. I was referring more generally to the fact that there are people in the US (and other places) who wish we could go back to this lifestyle, which is something I strongly disagree with. Ruby I have no idea what you are referring to with this:
It is the timing of these types of threads that make me believe there is an ulterior motive behind it.
. Do I think that Trump disrespects women and would prefer that women be second class citizens vs. men? Yes, especially given his words and actions. However, the point of this thread wasn't Trump, so I didn't mention him directly.
 

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
3,553
But that has always been the case even before Trump ran for office.

I just wonder if Hillary had won would that topic have popped up.

To add:

Judging from what I have read about all of Trump's wives, it does not appear to me that any of them would put up with that sentiment.

And I could say the same for his daughter Ivanka. She is a strong business woman..

Four women in his life and I do not see a house Frau among them.
 

YadaYadaYada

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 2, 2016
Messages
5,918
It's not about Trump or his wives though.

This was just shared as something to comment on and maybe to highlight how far we've come. I just took it at face value as that and it seems that is the way the OP intended. It's not political, just for fun.
 

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
13,366
"Minimize all noise."

"Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice."

Some of these tips smack of how one might treat the mentally unstable or approach a feral animal.
 

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
7,008
Dee*Jay|1479146844|4098279 said:
"Minimize all noise."

"Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice."

Some of these tips smack of how one might treat the mentally unstable or approach a feral animal.
Or a 1950's husband? :lol:
 

Bayek

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 11, 2013
Messages
6,662
ruby59|1479144010|4098240 said:
Not sure why posters here think Trump is heading us back toward a 1950s wife.

Looking at Melania, she hardly fits that role..
HI Ruby, I didn't post that the say Trump wants to go back there, because I truly don't know if that is the case at all, I posted it because I wanted some of the young millenial women here to understand what a young women faced in 1970.
 

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 12, 2013
Messages
1,226
redwood66|1479147597|4098288 said:
Dee*Jay|1479146844|4098279 said:
"Minimize all noise."

"Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice."

Some of these tips smack of how one might treat the mentally unstable or approach a feral animal.
Or a 1950's husband? :lol:
Ha, DJ and Red.

What creeped me out the most was the part about not expecting him to come home at night or ask where he's been. Made it sound as if cheating was expected and accepted.
 

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
3,553
I am not old enough to remember the 1950s.

Can remember a little about growing up in the 1960s.

And that certainly was not the case in my home.

Maybe it was different in Jewish households.

The woman is the heart of the home.

My mother was queen in ours. She ran the home. And anything doing with it, my father deferred to her.

Yes, my mom did not work. She kept a clean house and did the laundry and cooked the meals. But it was always known and expressed that her contribution was just as important as his, actually more so.
 

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
13,366
AnnaH|1479149041|4098297 said:
redwood66|1479147597|4098288 said:
Dee*Jay|1479146844|4098279 said:
"Minimize all noise."

"Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice."

Some of these tips smack of how one might treat the mentally unstable or approach a feral animal.
Or a 1950's husband? :lol:
Ha, DJ and Red.

What creeped me out the most was the part about not expecting him to come home at night or ask where he's been. Made it sound as if cheating was expected and accepted.

That one struck me too! It's like dealing with The Demon Dog: Approach him slowly and in a non-threatening manner. And don't worry if he runs away because he'll be back eventually. When he does return feed him and, if necessary, give him a bath and just accept that you'll never know what happened (unless Animal Control shows up on your doorstep to discuss whatever person he might have bitten while he was out!).
 

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
3,553
AnnaH|1479149041|4098297 said:
redwood66|1479147597|4098288 said:
Dee*Jay|1479146844|4098279 said:
"Minimize all noise."

"Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice."

Some of these tips smack of how one might treat the mentally unstable or approach a feral animal.
Or a 1950's husband? :lol:
Ha, DJ and Red.

What creeped me out the most was the part about not expecting him to come home at night or ask where he's been. Made it sound as if cheating was expected and accepted.
Not sure who that was based on.

And I am sure some wives today would fit that stereotype.

But there were strong women in the 1950s too. I know my mom would have not put up with that in the least. My grandmother either.
In fact, my grandmother's sister got a divorce back in the 1940s when it was taboo because she was not going to put up with a cheating husband.
 

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
7,031
@ruby, my homelife was similar sans the times my mother was ill. My mother has always been the heart of the home, all decisions were always made by her. She is that glue even now. My father always preferred my mom to stay home, she on the other hand loved to work so did when she could. They're both retired and he's been driving her crazy the last 8 years....lol For the holiday he got himself a part time job at home depot.
 

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Feb 12, 2013
Messages
1,226
Dee*Jay|1479149563|4098307 said:
AnnaH|1479149041|4098297 said:
redwood66|1479147597|4098288 said:
Dee*Jay|1479146844|4098279 said:
"Minimize all noise."

"Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice."

Some of these tips smack of how one might treat the mentally unstable or approach a feral animal.
Or a 1950's husband? :lol:
Ha, DJ and Red.

What creeped me out the most was the part about not expecting him to come home at night or ask where he's been. Made it sound as if cheating was expected and accepted.

That one struck me too! It's like dealing with The Demon Dog: Approach him slowly and in a non-threatening manner. And don't worry if he runs away because he'll be back eventually. When he does return feed him and, if necessary, give him a bath and just accept that you'll never know what happened (unless Animal Control shows up on your doorstep to discuss whatever person he might have bitten while he was out!).
:lol: :lol: :lol:
 

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
3,797
lovedogs|1479143621|4098232 said:
I might just be in a bad mood but reading this makes me feel nauseous. I need a "vomit" emoji. :nono: I think my anger/shock at reading this comes from a place of realizing that there are people in this country who would like to go back to those days. To the days where men were considered superior to women. Like these gems within the article:

Let him talk first — remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.
ARGGGGGG :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
I included one below for you.

After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.
Free him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him
Let him talk first — remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes.
You have no right to question him.

I'm so glad my husband is not one of these men LOL. If he asked me to remove his shoes or told me that his desires and topics of convo were more important, he would have another thing coming.

y3pwahz.gif
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
10,433
telephone89|1479151723|4098325 said:
lovedogs|1479143621|4098232 said:
I might just be in a bad mood but reading this makes me feel nauseous. I need a "vomit" emoji. :nono: I think my anger/shock at reading this comes from a place of realizing that there are people in this country who would like to go back to those days. To the days where men were considered superior to women. Like these gems within the article:

Let him talk first — remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.
ARGGGGGG :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:
I included one below for you.

After all, catering for his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.
Free him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him
Let him talk first — remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes.
You have no right to question him.

I'm so glad my husband is not one of these men LOL. If he asked me to remove his shoes or told me that his desires and topics of convo were more important, he would have another thing coming.
Thank you, Telephone!!! I love "New Girl", so that is perfect. And I agree, if my husband said any of those things he would be in for a rude awakening! But to be fair, if he believed any of this nonsense I wouldn't have married him :D
 

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Feb 5, 2004
Messages
3,553
Thank you, Telephone!!! I love "New Girl", so that is perfect. And I agree, if my husband said any of those things he would be in for a rude awakening! But to be fair, if he believed any of this nonsense I wouldn't have married him

Exactly.

And I seriously doubt Leave it to Beaver and those types of shows was typical of 1950s behavior.

I doubt many women wore pearls and heels to do housework.
 

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jul 22, 2014
Messages
1,475
Wow that makes me feel sick! Thankfully things have changed.

I disagree that families had better values back in the 50s, whilst divorce may have been less prevalent, I would suggest that infidelity and domestic abuse was not uncommon. The balance of power between men and women was just extremely skewed and women put up with more/were forced to put up with more due to society's expectations and gender inequality.

On that note I can't see how divorce is in itself an indicator of bad family values! In some cases, the behaviours leading to divorce (infidelity, lying etc) may demonstrate bad values, but divorce itself, no. Things change, people grow apart. Suffering through a bad marriage for the sake of it does not make you a better person.

ETA: Can I just say though that there are many things I love about the 50s, especially the fashion!
 

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
3,548
I'm sorry, I just can't resist:

funny-50s-meme-weiner.jpg

funny-memes-hush.jpg

fifties.jpg

funny-memes-basement.jpg
 

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
3,548
And chanelling my inner nasty woman:

domestic-goddess-housewife-meme.jpg

cork.jpg

funny-memes-pool-boy.jpg

opinion.jpg
 

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
3,548
And the winner...

_38585.jpg
 

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 26, 2006
Messages
13,366
Jambalaya|1479166967|4098514 said:
And the winner...
Love them all, but especially this one!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Three-stone engagement ring upgrade
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top