shape
carat
color
clarity

"Milky" diamond that looks fine on a video?

tb8z

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Thank you all for your help. I had a direct question about the following diamond:

GIA 7203332912
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/R250-RHSEK1
2.50 J SI1
GIA Triple Ex
62.3 depth
58 table
35.5 crown angle
40.8 pavilion angle
no fluorescence
medium/slightly thick girdle
SI1 from large cloud not pictured
HCA 2.8

The diamond has a lot of information listed, but apparently is "milky" according to a Vault Manager. Is it possible to see "milkiness" in a 360 video? I'm confused, because I figured a 10x video + ASET images is the best way to determine if clouds have an impact on a diamond's performance. Please help!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One side of it looks a bit frosty in the video - since it is due to a large cloud it is not something you can fix or get rid of, so why do you want a diamond someone who can see it is telling you is smucky looking? A decent cut stone in a slightly smaller size with edge to edge brightness btw will always face up to look bigger than it actually is and will be more pleasing overall visually sparkle and fire wise.

tb8z

Rough_Rock
arkieb1, thanks for the reply! very good point... I didn't notice the cloud on the side, but surprised that something that looks good on video and ASET could be cloudy/milky (but I don't have the best eyes here)...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The GIA report states
Comments: Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not
shown.
The stone appears to be a VS1 or vS2 from video and plot.
When that happens you jump up and down and say WOW I found a graders mistake - I AM winner

Every time I have seen this happen I find a fooled person.
It is much better to buy a middle of the road clarity diamond that looks like the grade it is and not fall into a trap like this stone.

It is good the vendor was honest.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I pointed this stone out to someone else in another thread, and I completely missed that comment on the report. I'm so glad Garry pointed it out and that the vendor was transparent about the haziness. It has a great cut but the haziness makes it a definite no go. Too bad.

tb8z

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all of the comments! I'm really glad to hear the feedback, as I was definitely on the fence. I'm sold then on it then - I'll pass on this one and continue the search. Appreciate it!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1437701109|3906761 said:
The GIA report states
shown.
When that happens you jump up and down and say WOW I found a graders mistake - I AM winner

It is much better to buy a middle of the road clarity diamond that looks like the grade it is and not fall into a trap like this stone.

And that's just that issue. It is the tendency on this forum for consumers to search for the cheapest crystals on the market as long as the HCA score is good. We just finished helping a bargain hunter who was just doing normal procedure he sees here ... finding the cheapest GIA XXX diamonds with HCA <2 and diamond upon diamond having issues they didn't want. Brown color. Gray color. Saturated clouds. Graining which causes the diamond to looks hazy, open feathers on the crown, etc. etc. etc. Lots of issues that are not on the GIA Report. There is an art to picking the right crystal that is commonly ignored by most and is impossible to do via internet photography and/or most video. Generally when something is cheap in its class it is for good reason.

Peace,
Rhino

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhino|1437763540|3906978 said:
The GIA report states
shown.

And that's just that issue. It is the tendency on this forum for consumers to search for the cheapest crystals on the market as long as the HCA score is good. We just finished helping a bargain hunter who was just doing normal procedure he sees here ... finding the cheapest GIA XXX diamonds with HCA <2 and diamond upon diamond having issues they didn't want. Brown color. Gray color. Saturated clouds. Graining which causes the diamond to looks hazy, open feathers on the crown, etc. etc. etc. Lots of issues that are not on the GIA Report. There is an art to picking the right crystal that is commonly ignored by most and is impossible to do via internet photography and/or most video. Generally when something is cheap in its class it is for good reason.

Peace,
Rhino
Yup, except for Jon nobody else will sell filet mignon for hamburger price... :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GIA report states
shown.

Peace,
Rhino

Absolutely!! Just like the hiring process, you gather the resumes of candidates that "look good on paper", but then you can take your chances and hire them based on paper alone, or make it a two fold process and meet them in person. Likewise, for diamond purchases online, this is where working with a trusted vendor, especially when you are shopping online, is very important because they are going to evaluate your candidate diamond(s) in person and give you their expert opinion.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
PintoBean|1437764125|3906983 said:
The GIA report states
shown.

Peace,
Rhino

Absolutely!! Just like the hiring process, you gather the resumes of candidates that "look good on paper", but then you can take your chances and hire them based on paper alone, or make it a two fold process and meet them in person. Likewise, for diamond purchases online, this is where working with a trusted vendor, especially when you are shopping online, is very important because they are going to evaluate your candidate diamond(s) in person and give you their expert opinion.

Yes! And that's where education, experience and gemological tools come to play. There's no crystal ball to know these things. :wall:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results