shape
carat
color
clarity

Military Draft required for women

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meh. Whatever. It's a predictable tempest-in-a-teacup distraction. It's not like they're ever going to actually draft anyone again, male OR female. The days of that type of warfare - like Vietnam - that needed HUGE numbers of bodies, willing or not, is over. Now it's cyberwar, automated things like drones, and special ops.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The military still has major problems with integration of women serving in the military.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have friends who are women in the military who say that women in combat are a liability. It is the attitudes of the men that make it that way. They do not see another soldier, they see their little sister, their mother, their daughter and they take extra risks that they wouldn’t take for a man to protect them.

My best friend’s husband flies medevac. He picked up a a wounded male soldier and a dead female soldier. The wounded male kept screaming that he killed her...just because he couldn’t protect her and keep her from dying.

This issue is real.

The fact is, men in the military have a long way to go. Things are going to get real dangerous as long as they keep viewing their behavior as chivalrous instead of dangerous and sexist.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think everyone should do a year of public service after high school.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of drafting anyone for the military.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In this new age all should register or none should. But it is unlikely that a draft will ever occur again.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Living for a year as if war were a possibility - would feel odd to say the least; then - only earthquakes & floods & Easter are capable of engaging that many at once for anything.

These being said, the idea does ring abstractly right, especially if the theme of the exercise goes beyond combat.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whilst drafting is unlikely to occur and I agree with the theory ALL should be eligible, personally I think this needs strong caveats regarding physical & mental fitness and matching women with suitable roles. Not just throwing them into combat roles with men and expecting that to work. It won't.
As a military wife, let me be clear I don't want ANYONE, male or female to be responsible for the safety of my husband if they aren't up for it. Ticking a gender diversity box to make everyone feel warm fuzzies means f*ck all in the field...

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Whilst drafting is unlikely to occur and I agree with the theory ALL should be eligible, personally I think this needs strong caveats regarding physical & mental fitness and matching women with suitable roles. Not just throwing them into combat roles with men and expecting that to work. It won't.
As a military wife, let me be clear I don't want ANYONE, male or female to be responsible for the safety of my husband if they aren't up for it. Ticking a gender diversity box to make everyone feel warm fuzzies means f*ck all in the field...

Seconding as another military wife. Took the words out of my mouth.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results