shape
carat
color
clarity

Milgrain or plain wedding bands?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
FI is debating between a milgrain wedding band or just a plain wedding band. He likes the look of milgrain, but it''s fancier and not sure if he will still like the style after a few years. He feels that a plain band is well..plain, but it''s something he can wear for a long time and wont get sick of. Anyone here has DF w/ milgrain?

MyBling

Rough_Rock
I prefer the simpiler styles on men but My Husband thought he wanted a milgrain band. He tried on different styles, and I liked the milgrain. IMO the thinner milgrain (that''s right on the edge) looks like a nice detail, but not "fancy", compared to the bands that have a smooth plain edge then milgrain and back to plain.

In the end he went with a plain white gold band (platinum was too heavy for him) He felt it was more "him" and was the most comfortable on. He knew it within seconds of trying it on. It''s amazing to me since I looked for months to find the rings I wanted
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby picked his out, and it''s got a very fine milgrain edge. And this is a guy who wears NO jewelry, not even a watch.

25 years later, I assume he still likes it, I''ve not heard him complain, and he never takes it off.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are classic and simple, in my opinion. Just a matter of personal taste. I love milgrain myself.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I love milgrain, and I don''t think it would ever get tiring on a man''s band. My husband and I have matching wedding bands (although mine doesn''t fit with the ering I got - after all these years - I need a bigger size to wear them together). It''s a two tone Diana band, platinum and 18k yellow gold, with a bit of milgrain. I love this look! Here is a photo of it (This one doesn''t specify it''s plat and gold though). He''s been wearing it for almost 12 years and it''s a great band.

tn_diana two tone.jpg

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the Tiffany version which I''ve seen recently. The milgrain is much more subtle in person. It is an awesome ring! I know a lot of people don''t like two tone, but I think this ring is so sexy.

12228732_xl.jpg

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 1:14:17 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Both are classic and simple, in my opinion. Just a matter of personal taste. I love milgrain myself.

ditto.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think 3mm is too thin for a man''s band?

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 7:52:11 PM
Author: cinnamon013
You know I am acutally not too sure about the width, it might''ve been a 4mm. I will double check the little note card that they wrote down and repost laster

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Kissmark,

I just ordered this 3mm Tiffany band for myself....Its defnintely a VERY thin band, imho, too thin for a man to wear. If he chooses this ring, he should probably go for the 5-6mm...I will post pics when I get it, its coming the 1st wk of September.

My fi got this band:

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item.aspx?sku=GRP01358&mcat=148204&cid=129087&menu=1&page=3

but in platinum. Its awesome. He loves it!!

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 8:31:42 PM
Author: Dani
Kissmark,

I just ordered this 3mm Tiffany band for myself....Its defnintely a VERY thin band, imho, too thin for a man to wear. If he chooses this ring, he should probably go for the 5-6mm...I will post pics when I get it, its coming the 1st wk of September.

My fi got this band:

http://www.tiffany.com/shopping/item.aspx?sku=GRP01358&mcat=148204&cid=129087&menu=1&page=3

Dani is there any particular reason that the ring wont be ready until September? Our wedding is actually the beginning of September. When I asked they said they always have stock so we didn''t think I need to purchase too much in advance.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 8:39:09 PM
Author: Kissmark
Date: 8/12/2007 8:31:42 PM

Author: Dani

Kissmark,

My fi got this band:

Dani is there any particular reason that the ring wont be ready until September? Our wedding is actually the beginning of September. When I asked they said they always have stock so we didn't think I need to purchase too much in advance.

Kiss,

The reason they wont be ready for a few wks is because they are getting hand engraved. If you are not getting any engraving done, you can probably have the rings either the day of, or within a wk. They carry most popular sizes in the store, so no worries!!!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock

I''m considering e-weddingbands.com in my quest for a band, and I found this one you might check out. It''s similar to the one you are considering at Tiffanys. This site has a lot of great bands, great prices as well.

http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/platmgr5info.html

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for milgrain, it''s so subtle and classic, and just gives that little extra detail as opposed to a completely plain band. I love the Tiffany''s one you posted, that''s my fave!

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 7:52:11 PM
Author: cinnamon013
Just double checked and the one FI wants is actually 4mm, but it looks thinner than the normal 4mm because of the milgrain edge.

Kissmark

Shiny_Rock
Does the edges get uneven after a few years? can you polish that part?

vintagebling

Shiny_Rock
I think the Tiffany band shown above is gorgeous. Personally I think milgrain looks more feminine, especially in person. Milgrain tends to have a fancy look to it (especially in yellow gold). My husband wears his plain comfort fit 5mm(?) yellow gold band, and he loves it. I''ve mentioned altering it, like adding engraving etc., he wants nothing to do with that. He loves his band.

I suppose it depends on the man. Some men walk around with huge diamonds on their RHR and as wedding rings. It just depends on the guy.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
My DF''s wedding band has milgrain in the design, but not around the edges of the ring. There are leaves on his band, and the milgrain is just on the edges of the leaves. Kind of hard to explain, so here are some pics:

VC1918band02.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
DF usually likes plain stuff, but this band really caught his eye. The milgrain is really subtle, but it adds texture and depth to the design.
2.gif

VC1918band01.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
DH''s ring is white gold with milgrain. Originally, he wanted a thin plain band but when he tried one on, it just looked strange on his hand. He''s a no-frills type of guy and I don''t think the milgrain looks out of place on him at all. While he picked it out all on his own, this was the ring I hoped he''d choose - I think they''re so classic. It''s 5.5mm. I''m posting 2 pics, hopefully the sizes turn out - one is in B&W, but you can really see the milgrain on his ring (that is, if I sized the pic right!). The other is just the only close-up I have of his ring. I like it because you can read the inscription in the band (also a plus for thicker bands).

ourWRs2.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
2nd photo (sorry, I didn''t have any pics of his ring on its own).

ringTrIo2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results