shape
carat
color
clarity

Migrant Children Held in Vans For 39 Hours Waiting Reunification

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Children whose re-unification with their parents had been court ordered were held in vans in a Texas parking lot in July for up to 39 hours because no one was ready to process them. Some of them had been separated from their parents for months are were anticipating seeing them. Instead there was no one to greet them and they were forced to remain inside a vehicle for up to 39 hours in the blistering Texas sun by day. We would never have learned of this-and reportedly the parking lot was full of other vehicles-had it not been for an employee (after a mere 9 hours) complaining to a superior that there must be a better way than this to process children!

This baloney is not humane. And saying it is not humane is not an opinion. It is a law of nature if not God's word.

AGBF

"As the Trump administration was scrambling to reunify thousands of migrant families it had separated during a period of 'zero tolerance' immigration policy, it at one point in July 2018 held 37 children in vans for hours in the parking lot of an Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention center, NBC News reported Monday.

The administration, under a court order to reunify the families it had separated, struggled to process the backlog of children who needed to be reconnected to parents or guardians. The 37 children placed in vans on July 15, 2018, were sent from a Department of Health and Human Resources facility to be processed by ICE at an adults-only facility called Port Isabel Detention Center and returned to their families. The kids were all between 5 and 12 years old, and while some were reunited with their families in less than a day—the first left the van after 11 hours—most spent at least 23 hours in the vans, according to NBC News. The last child to be processed and reunited with a parent or guardian had spent two nights in a van, for a total of 39 hours."

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/06/ice-migrant-children-vans-family-separations.html

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Mistreating innocent children is such BS. Truly shameful and disgusting.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a nation, we are being tested. They want to know how much we will tolerate. Obviously, we will tolerate the mistreatment of children. We sit back and read stories and feel powerless. I’m guilty of it too.

I will vote and wonder if that is enough.

Edit: We can call our representatives, but it seems they’ve been rendered powerless as well.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a nation, we are being tested. They want to know how much we will tolerate. Obviously, we will tolerate the mistreatment of children. We sit back and read stories and feel powerless. I’m guilty of it too.

Edit: We can call our representatives, but it seems they’ve been rendered powerless as well.

I agree with you. House Cat. I feel that all I can do is keep the discussion of it alive, keep people talking about it. The subject should not be allowed to die while these families are suffering so terribly on our soil, in our country! We must protest it or we are like the silent Germans of the World War II era who said, "we, personally, did not do these things".

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank for saying this @House Cat and @AGBF. I’ve felt the same way since Kelly, Nielson and Trump put their separation policy in place. They are trying to see what they can get away with and how far they can push this with the American people. We have heard people here on Pricescope act as if it is no big deal.

I think we all knew there is racism in our country. But the level of hate we are seeing in this country now is appalling. This President has made it acceptable and those who agree with him are no holds barred anymore. This administration has unleashed these low life’s to be proud of all this hate. Scary times. When you are fine with separating families with no policy in place to reunite them, and could care less about the emotional trauma you are putting people thru, you have no soul.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There wouldn't be separation of children had the parents not broken the law by entering the US illegally. Wish the liberals would care as much for the millions of homeless Americans as they do with illegals.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There wouldn't be separation of children had the parents not broken the law by entering the US illegally. Wish the liberals would care as much for the millions of homeless Americans as they do with illegals.

Seeking asylum is NOT illegal. It is boring to have to repeat oneself. That is why many people here do not talk to you, Dancing Fire.

Oh. And care about the homeless? Are you trying to make me laugh or cry? Ben Carson as the Secretary of HUD? He doesn't know a housing project from a McDonald's double cheeseburger.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeking asylum is NOT illegal. It is boring to have to repeat oneself. That is why many people here do not talk to you, Dancing Fire.

Oh. And care about the homeless? Are you trying to make me laugh or cry? Ben Carson as the Secretary of HUD? He doesn't know a housing project from a McDonald's double cheeseburger.
They can seek asylum in Mexico.

w/o doing any research my guess is that the cities with the most homeless people are run by Dem. Mayors.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By this logic (or illogic) you are saying Republicans care more about the homeless in America? I'd like some proof of that.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By this logic or illogic my guess if this is true it's because the homeless in democratic cities, towns etc receive more assistance to help them.

w/o doing any research my guess is that the cities with the most homeless people are run by Dem. Mayors.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Or they are just useless because they sold their soul for power!

I remember when Betsy Davos was up for confirmation and one of my state's senators came out in a statement admitting that his office had been bombarded with calls and letters from his constituents in strong opposition to her confirmation. However, he felt that he should give her a chance and tow the party line.

A two party system only works when the majority are moderates, willing to make compromises to achieve the greater good.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire, do not try to slip away from me. You are slippery and never stay around to face the consequences of what you post. If you were in my classroom, I would nail you.

You claimed that people who were seeking asylum were entering the United States to seek asylum were here illegally. That is FALSE. That they could (or could not) seek asylum in Mexico or elsewhere in the world is irrelevant. Can we enroll you in a logic course?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire, do not try to slip away from me. You are slippery and never stay around to face the consequences of what you post. If you were in my classroom, I would nail you.

You claimed that people who were seeking asylum were entering the United States to seek asylum were here illegally. That is FALSE. That they could (or could not) seek asylum in Mexico or elsewhere in the world is irrelevant. Can we enroll you in a logic course?
Deb
I wonder how many of these asylum seekers will actually show up in court for their hearings?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I wonder when true Republicans will take back their party.. We can all wonder.

Deb
I wonder how many of these asylum seekers will actually show up in court for their hearings?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And what is it supposed to mean? Is it relevant? What is the population of each state in relation to their homesless? saying there are cities with democratic mayors who have homeless isn't that surprising or unusual. What's your point? and back it up.
The cities with the most homeless and the most dangerous are run by D mayors.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here's the cities that are the poorest in America, amazing that they are mostly in the south.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/09/19/poverty-rates-america-cities-highest-levels/37799947/[URL]https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/09/19/poverty-rates-america-cities-highest-levels/37799947/[/URL]

and there is a hella amount of crime in poor states and poor cities

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...rates-america-cities-highest-levels/37799947/

ALL I can discern from all that I have read is, larger cities have larger populations and therefore statistically there have more crime.

The South sucks with their crime rates all southern Trumpsters should be apalled, I mean seriously DF they should run to DC (or his golf course) and demand help and assistance.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/crime-and-corrections/public-safety

The cities with the most homeless and the most dangerous are run by D mayors.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
T...I'm not saying that every Dem. Mayor is bad. In fact we had a very good D. Mayor (Kevin Johnson) in Sacto a few yrs ago. :clap: if not for a sex scandal I think he would have excelled into a higher political office job. He revised the downtown area and the ghetto part of town where he grew up. He did a lot good things for the Sacto. community. :clap:

636101327686541181-SW34-KINGS-B-0206-53793961.JPG

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmm

T...I'm not saying that every Dem. Mayor is bad. In fact we had a very good D. Mayor (Kevin Johnson) in Sacto a few yrs ago. :clap: if not for a sex scandal I think he would have excelled into a higher political office job. He revised the downtown area and the ghetto part of town where he grew up. He did a lot good things for the Sacto. community. :clap:

636101327686541181-SW34-KINGS-B-0206-53793961.JPG

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Children whose re-unification with their parents had been court ordered were held in vans in a Texas parking lot in July for up to 39 hours because no one was ready to process them. Some of them had been separated from their parents for months are were anticipating seeing them. Instead there was no one to greet them and they were forced to remain inside a vehicle for up to 39 hours in the blistering Texas sun by day. We would never have learned of this-and reportedly the parking lot was full of other vehicles-had it not been for an employee (after a mere 9 hours) complaining to a superior that there must be a better way than this to process children!
Deb.
Good news! IF Mexico do as promised. The children will no longer be separated from their parents while seeking asylum.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/07/us/politics/trump-tariffs-mexico.html

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Children were forced to stay in vans for two days and that’s inexcusable. Regardless of your political views or stance on immigration, those children were mistreated, bottom line. We’re talking about children and this is going to shape their interactions with authority figures. Whoever made the call to keep them in a parking lot was wrong to do so.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To (almost) everyone in this thread: I suspect my blood pressure would my much higher without PS' 'ignore' feature than it is reading these responses. #HighlyRecommend.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL @yssie .

@Dancing Fire, Do you ever imagine how different your life would be if we had a President who did everything possible to not allow people from your home country to enter the US all those years ago. From what you have said your mom wasn’t wealthy or highly educated when you arrived here. Imagine how your mom would have felt if the President at the time did not want Asian people to migrate. What a loss that would have been for our country and the all wonderful people who are now Americans.

What a difference a kind compassionate president can make in people lives.

What Trump and his administration are doing to these children and families is wrong.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire, Do you ever imagine how different your life would be if we had a President who did everything possible to not allow people from your home country to enter the US all those years ago. From what you have said your mom wasn’t wealthy or highly educated when you arrived here. Imagine how your mom would have felt if the President at the time did not want Asian people to migrate. What a loss that would have been for our country and the all wonderful people who are now Americans.

What a difference a kind compassionate president can make in people lives.

What Trump and his administration are doing to these children and families is wrong.
CC
The difference is we immigrated to the US legally. My grandfather had to sponsor us and went through all the legal process by hiring an attorney to do all the paper works, then there was like a 2 yr waiting period for background checks. So, my Q to you is ...is it fair to those people whom are applying legally?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It really is that simple.

I personally am very “America first” - to the point where I annoy my third-generation American husband with my ideologies.

I don’t think unchecked immigration is good for any country, including ours. I don’t want our politicians emulating Merkel.

My parents came here when I was a teenager - the immigration process was long and expensive, the naturalization process was long and expensive, and they were a couple who could check quite a number of the “why we’re valuable additions to the American workforce” boxes.

I have no sympathy for those who avoid the system despite having the means to “do it right”. But y’know what? Those people - outside of those who can afford to throw enough money at the people in charge of processes to subvert them - are like Reagan’s welfare queens - sure, there are probably one or two of them, but as a demographic they don’t exist.

There’s always a humane way to solve a problem. And there’s just no justification for inhumanity, no matter what your political leanings, your beliefs, your frustrations, your fears. Trump turns everyone into victims - he steals people’s humanity and forces them to perpetrate atrocities.

Last edited:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So proud of my home state & our governor!

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/06/14/mills-meets-with-city-to-discuss-asylum-seekers/

“It’s a fundamental fact – these are families. These are people. These are people who need our help,” [Governor Janet] Mills said. “These are people who arrived here in Maine with their families after traveling thousands of miles over the course of many months to flee violence and and escape hostility and brutality. … They’ve undergone this dangerous journey in pursuit of freedom and liberty, concepts and principles that are the cornerstone of our nation’s principles and unknown to them in their countries of origin. Maine people have a long, proud tradition of caring for our neighbors. As we continue to develop responses and strategies, which will require difficult and practical decisions about the deployment of our scarce resources, let’s keep that in mind always.”

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results