shape
carat
color
clarity

migraines?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
i''ve had pretty bad headaches all my life, but the past few years they have gotten a lot worse. i never really considered them to be migraines because i didn''t feel nauseous or anything like that, but now i am not so sure. they are usually (80%) located on the left side of my head and lately the pain has been enough to bring me to tears. at least a dozen times in the past two weeks i''ve actually grabbed my head and cried out in pain because the pain is so severe when it hits and catches me off guard. i''ve had a consistent headache for about three weeks now, and today i found it really hard to focus my eyes on anything that was in a brighter area. i''ve always been really sensitive to light, but it was actually hard to even look at things today. i''ve been to the dr. for an mri scan, which didn''t show anything abnormal. i have really bad tmj and back problems, but they are usually located in spot that wouldn''t logically be affected by either of those. i don''t have time to run around to a million different doctors - what do you suggest? for those of you who suffer from migraines, are they usually really localized to one spot? i know i have to make an appointment with my dr. again, i just don''t want to go in sounding crazy.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
oh, and do dr.s diagnose migraines just based on anecdotal evidence you give them? is there any actual way to tell if that's what it is?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Mimzy,

I suffer from migraines too. My Dr. put me on Topamax. I take 100mg in the morning and 100mg at night. I haven''t had a migraine in 8 months now.

Your will have to be diagnosed by your doctor first. I used to use Imitrex on the onset of one, the nose spray version.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry I forgot to answer your question. Yes, mine were on one side of my face and effected the eye. I used to sleep for days because of the pain. Do you get an "aura" with it? Some people do and some don''t.

My headaches would last for days.

Linda

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Mimzy ... Sorry to hear about your headaches. I know how horrible they can be. I suffered from migraines quite a bit a few years ago and am still nervous whenever I get a headache that it will turn out to be a migraine.

I don''t know if this is your situation, however, I thought I would share just in case you find it helpful. Although I rarely suffer from migraines any longer, I frequently have headaches in my right eye. There is a lot of pain and it is easy to confuse with a migraine, however, now based on experience, I have figured out that it is a sinus headache. The sinus headaches vary in intensity, however, sometimes they can be as debilitating as a mild migraine and just as long lasting ... 2-3 days.

Basically my point is maybe your sinuses are acting up and not with the usual cold like, tell tale symptoms. I find that if I take Advil Cold & Sinus as soon as I start to feel the pain sensations, it is not nearly as bad and only last for a couple of hours and then clears up. If I let it go, it is agony.
14.gif
15.gif
39.gif

I hope this info helps in some way. Good luck & take care.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Linda - i''m not sure what you mean by an aura. do you mean like general haze cause from the pain?

Spark - it''s not a sinus headache - i had plenty of those in high school! and you''re right, those can be just as bad as migraines. those caused some of the worst physical pain i''ve ever felt
7.gif

for both of you - when you had migraines, is it usually a sharp pain that returns every couple seconds/minutes, a dull/constant pain, a pulsing pain, or does it vary?

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2007 12:37:51 AM
Author: mimzy
for both of you - when you had migraines, is it usually a sharp pain that returns every couple seconds/minutes, a dull/constant pain, a pulsing pain, or does it vary?
An aura is the sensations or I like to think of it as a "warning" to the onset of a migraine. People differ, however, in many, an aura may be an increased sensitivity to light, intense nausea, dizziness, seeing spots (like black type small dot spots) etc. Sometimes people experience these different types of sensations just before they get a migraine and they just get worse as the migraine becomes full blown.

When I had migraines, it was always on just the right side of my head. I had a hard time reading or looking at anything b/c the pain in my right eye was just ridiculous. It felt like the knife in my avatar was stabbing me repeatedly in my eye. There is also a throbbing or pulsing pain accompanying the migraine, especially if I bent over and put my head down or coughed!
23.gif

It was horrible. The most frustrating thing is that they never went away with medication. I would take so many pain killers that I would just end up feeling more nauseous.

If you determine that you are really suffering from migraines and there is nothing you can do, in your control/environment/diet, to change that, ask your doctor about meds ... I understand that they have great stuff for migraines out there nowadays.
36.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I've had migraines for years. They start behind my right eye. I don't get an aura, but often become nauseated. I'm also sensitive to light and odors. It's a throbbing type of pain--not a sharp pain. I was diagnosed by a neurologist, who did an MRI to rule out any other potential problems. In reality, I was diagnosed years earlier, based upon anecdotal evidence!! I take Topamax, on a daily basis. It helps, but I still have migraines quite often. I use Zomig nasal inhalers when having a migraine and find them to be very effective. I would suggest you see your PCP for evaluation and treatment. The current migraine meds are a miracle, to me. They work quickly. I used to be in pain for hours or even days. I hope you are able to find a solution to your headaches.
BTW, I also have TMJ and back pain...how lucky we are
38.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you loose your vision, get like vertical lines? That is what I meant by an aura. I get the throbbing pain in my head and eye, all on one side of my head. My eye would water, as well as my nose. Mine was a dull constant pain, like someone dropped a brick on my my head.

Please have your Dr. check you out.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Risingsun,

Have you lost weight from the Topamax?

Linda

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2007 12:48:39 AM
Author: Linda W
Risingsun,

Have you lost weight from the Topamax?

Linda
I don''t think that I''ve lost weight, although Topamax is sometimes prescribed for that purpose. I do think it helps me maintain my weight. If I intentionally "watch what I''m eating," however, I think that I drop the pounds a little faster.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Risingsun,

Same with me. I noticed that too.

Linda

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Linda,
Do you have any side effects from the Topamax?
BTW, I love your holiday avatar
1.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
With my migraines I always had a stabbing pain on one side of my head (usually the right side near the eye) plus the extreme sensitivity to light plus extreme sensitivity to noise. It's like everything became a 100 to 1000 times brighter and louder! Most of the medications for migraines would help half the time but would always make me horribly nauseous, so I tended not to use them.
14.gif

I previously noticed a strong correlation to dehydration and then exposure to a bright light like the sun, a headlight in my eyes, or a movie. And now, ever since I moved to a much lower and damper climate, I haven't had a single migraine for months. weird.

ETA: I never did have auras but the light sensitivity would start before the pain hit which gave me a bit of warning.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mimzy,
emrose.gif
I am so sorry. I started getting them at the age of 7; it was awful! I remember having the tv vision and sensitivity to noise, pain on one side like you say and then throwing up. I would get one about once a year. The doctors didn't know what it was which is completely nuts because my friend who is a doctor said my symptoms are classic textbook migraine. As I got to mid school I started getting numbness on the right side of my body w/them (which is normal too).

For me I learned my triggers were stress and/or very very high fat foods. I got them usually when I was very happy/excited or stressed. I had to slow my emotions down a little. A few times I could feel one coming on and I would massage the back of my neck. I went to yoga and learned breathing to relax so that has helped me a lot. I do have medication but now I can help stop them from coming on by clearing my mind w/breathing, not panicing when they come on, and massaging my scalp or shoulders/head. Exercise helps me too w/stress relief. I feel for you; they are horrible so I hope you find something that works for you. I try hard not to take medicine because for me it sometimes causes rebound migraines.

ETA: I know that doctors are unsure what causes them and they sort of are a mystery but they do cause expansion of the blood vessels at the base of your scalp that is why I try to massage. I am not an expert but I did want to share what works for me. It doesn't always work but it helps and has worked 70% of the time. I send you a hug and hope they stop or at least lessen.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been getting them since I was 10. I have been on induction diets, taken tons of meds, had MRI's and been to the neurologist. Nothing really helps. My hair follicles hurt, I am so nauseous, I cannot bear anything on my skin, my eye waters up, and if I move at all I feel like I have an ice pick stabbing me in the head. I end up in the ER when they are really bad. With three kids it is hard to get to a quiet place and rest, but I have to. If I do not catch it I can end up out of it for days. I do like to drink regular coke when I have one, it really helps with nausea. If you have changes in them, I would definitely get to the doctor. I am so sorry you are suffering! Migraines are usually only on one side, I always get mine on the left. And it means split brain, it is derived from Latin or Greek. They are vascular headaches, and when your vessels shrink down, the pain occurs when they try to expand back and they overexpand, so the drugs are supposed to help shrink them back to normal size.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan,

Why doesn''t your doctor put you on Topamax? It has helped me and I don''t get them anymore.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Risingsun,

When my doctor first put me on Topamax, I experienced nausea, but it soon went away. The same thing as he increased the dose. Now I am used to it and I don''t feel anything, except the pleasure of not getting any migraines.

Do you experience any side effects? I have been on Topamax for a couple of years now.

Linda. (I am glad you like my Avatar) Visit the All you people who changed Avatars thread, they will add sparkle to your ring for you, or even put a santa hat on it.
36.gif

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
mimzy, and all here who suffer from these, ((((hug)))))

i''ve been getting migraines for years. during high school i remember driving home with sunglasses at night because the on-coming lights were to bright to handle (stupid i know but i had to get home and there was no other way.)

They continued throughout college and became absolutely debilatating. The worst part is that I got no aura and usually woke up to one. 100% full force knife in my head feeling. bright lights, loud noise. My husband has found me crying in my closet before because it''s the darkest, most quiet place in our house :( so pathetic what these things turn us into.

for me, a number of things have helped. The first thing I did was get off of birth control so that I could see if the migraines were caused by my cycle (your cycle is not natural on bc and the hormones are completely regulated). i found that my cycles weren''t to blame, but my body didn''t like the whole "regulated hormone thing" and frankly bc pills were a nightmare for me, aside from my headaches, i also got the pleasure of: not being able to wear my contacts, having digestion problems, and dealing with sore boobs 2-3 weeks out of the month.

I tried a ton of different bc pills, patches, shots, etc. nothing worked for me. getting off of them helped immensely. of course dealing with charting and natural bc is a bit of a pain sometimes, but i''ll take it over migraines any day.

also, i quit smoking and that helped.

and. . .the kicker for me. . .i cut meat from my diet. but before i did, i ate only organic meat. i found that after eating "regular" meat i tended to get the terrible headaches. basically. . . my doctor basically told me "it seems you''re allergic to mostly anything synthetic, including hormones in most meats." i think he''s right. i nearly fall asleep on the spot after two advil. i take kiddies cough medicine. and i''m no featherweight. i''m an average sized adult.

so. . .just a few things that helped me. i know they are drastic (quit smoking, no bc pills, vegetarian diet). . .but if only one helps, it''s worth a shot. i''ve had headaches, but not a terrible migraine for months now :)

cheers!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also had to cut out cheddar cheese, red wine, which I never had a lot of anyway, those are triggers too. If you look up migraines on the web, it will list trigger foods. I think chocolate was one of them, but I may be wrong. I hope so anyway.

Linda

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
thank you all so much for your responses!

I'm not on birth control, and the headaches are virtually all month long with no regard to my cycle at all....but i am an emotional crybaby all month long regardless, so maybe my hormones are out of whack enough to maybe contribute to them? i'm not sure. oh, and i also don't smoke or drink at all so that's not a factor either

i'll run through the list of foods that are known to be a trigger.

it seems like most of you had the pain right behind your eye...is that hallmark of a migraine? or can the pain be localized anywhere and it's just a coincidence that that is where it is for most of you?

thanks again!

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
i had some behind either or both of my eyes. i also had a few that felt like someone was stabbing me right above my eyebrow. basically, behind the eye or above the eye. below the eye is usually sinus-related. temples are usually tension/cluster. back of the head is the same.

one thing that works occasionally for me is advil and caffeine. if i can grab the headache soon enough. i hate taking medication and this is the only thing i''ll take. getting enough sleep is always a good thing too (not that i can talk. it''s still a good night if i get 6 hours).

i hope you find out what''s triggering them. perhaps switch to organic meat for a few weeks and see if it helps. the antibiotics in "regular" meat really exacerbated my headaches when i used to eat meat. just a suggestion. Trader joes, whole foods, wild oats all sell organic meat and honestly, it wasn''t that much more expensive than non-organic. i''d always say that the five bucks more i''m spending is the five bucks that would have gone to my advil. :)

good luck hon. i feel for ya.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The migraines in my family are now into the third generation (my father, me, my daughter).
7.gif
What you are describing sounds like a migraine, but your doc will be able to help you know for sure. Have you tried plotting your headaches? It can be useful to have it on paper. There may be more of a pattern than you realize, or maybe not. One friend who suffers from migraines is on birth control pills primarily to ease up on the hormonally triggered ones. My daughter has tried all the migraine meds and mostly relies on Maxalt now, although she also does end up in ER sometimes, requiring shots of Toradol (pain relief for migraines). Hers strike just about anytime of the day or night, no real pattern. With mine, I have different symptoms at different times: visual disturbances, photo-sensitivity, nausea, blinding pain. My only out is sedatives, partly because of meds I'm taking daily for other physical problems. See your doc. He/she will probably give you some sample meds to try, since everyone is different. Good luck!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2007 11:28:05 AM
Author: Linda W
Risingsun,

When my doctor first put me on Topamax, I experienced nausea, but it soon went away. The same thing as he increased the dose. Now I am used to it and I don't feel anything, except the pleasure of not getting any migraines.

Do you experience any side effects? I have been on Topamax for a couple of years now.

Linda. (I am glad you like my Avatar) Visit the All you people who changed Avatars thread, they will add sparkle to your ring for you, or even put a santa hat on it.
36.gif
I've experienced tingling in my hands and feet and had to reduce the dosage. I also developed tinnitus, but I'm not sure if it's from the Topamax. I really need the higher dose to fight the number of migraines. I'm using a lot of Zomig, at present.

ETA: I don't know how to put a Santa hat on my avatar
8.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2007 12:10:43 PM
Author: mimzy
thank you all so much for your responses!

I'm not on birth control, and the headaches are virtually all month long with no regard to my cycle at all....but i am an emotional crybaby all month long regardless, so maybe my hormones are out of whack enough to maybe contribute to them? i'm not sure. oh, and i also don't smoke or drink at all so that's not a factor either

i'll run through the list of foods that are known to be a trigger.

it seems like most of you had the pain right behind your eye...is that hallmark of a migraine? or can the pain be localized anywhere and it's just a coincidence that that is where it is for most of you?

thanks again!
I've been getting migraines since the age of 5!! For me, they almost always start behind my right eye. If I experience the pain elsewhere, it may be it a different type of headache. Having frequent migraines, daily TMJ and back pain, I am never NOT in pain. I'm also unable to take pain meds. It makes me want so angry and upset. You have my best wishes that you find some resolution to your pain. Quality of llife is just so compromised
38.gif

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Unilateral pain is a big symptom, yes. I get them reasonably frequently and thankfully the only food trigger I have is red wine, although generally speaking if I get too little food or sleep, that kicks them off. Being on a regular schedule helps.

That said everyone is DIFFERENT with migraines, there is no one "right thing" to do to make them stop, so don''t go feeling guilty because everyone tells you to give up chocolate, etc, etc. Some are hormonal triggers, some are food, it just depends on your body...

If you have had this one for 3 weeks go to the ER or your doc, they will give you a shot of antiinflammatory that should help it clear up in about 20 minutes if you respond well. I had to have this done a few weeks ago and I was able to work right after although you will find that you are suddenly very tired once you are pain free again....

I have a lot of luck with Relpax, but it is expensive as is the Topamax. I have a 45 dollar copay and Im going to ask my neurologist this year if maybe we can switch to a cheaper brand and see if I get good results...

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Also, Public Service Announcement:

If you get non-hormonal (vascular) migraines and are on birth control, please be aware---this triples your stroke risk, especially if you ALSO smoke or have high blood pressure. If you are young it is a reasonable risk to some, but my doctor will no longer perscribe me any form of hormonal BC whatsoever bc she says it could be a legal issue for her, plus she feels it is unethical.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Linda, I was taking 75 mgs of it and still getting them, and then was away and forgot to take it with me so I may start up on it again!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan,

I take 100mg, in morning and 100mg at night. Like Risingsun, this morning I got tingly in my hands, so I may have to reduce the dose.

Linda

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Linda and Diamondfan,
Taking 100mg of Topamax twice a day gave me the tingling. I am now taking half that amount, which has improved that problem, but makes the meds less effective. I may try 75mg bid and see if that is a better compromise. My doctor gave me 25mg tabs so I would be able to self titrate.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results