shape
carat
color
clarity

Middle names!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goldfish

Rough_Rock
I have no middle name. I''m just Goldfish Mylastname. Which is fine, but I always kind of wanted a middle name. Somehow my friends from school always seemed more glamorous than I did, with their long, pretty names. It''s funny what kind of impressions you can form as a young child, and how long those impressions stick with you, isn''t it?

Now that I''m married, we''re both going to change our last names to Mylastname-Hislastname. I''m so excited that he''s changing as well! We were going to bed last night, and he mentioned to me that he could "give" me a middle name as well, meaning that when I change my last name I could also add a middle name, something that he would choose (subject to my approval, of course). Most people would never know about it, because middle names hardly come up anyway. I''m kind of excited about the idea, because I''ve always wished my parents would have given me a middle name. But on the other hand, I''m a little shy about doing it, because I''m worried it''s too...odd, or pretentious in some way. And even if I don''t do it, I still think it was really sweet of him to have the idea, just because he knows how much I wanted a middle name when I was a kid.

What do you think?
1.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Aww, I think that's such a sweet suggestion! If you've always wanted a middle name I say go for it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if you''ve always wanted a middle name now is the time to do it!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely go for it. If you''re both going to go through the paperwork involved for changing your last names, definitely take a middle name too. Now''s the time! If you don''t do it, you''ll kick yourself afterwards. Then you can have a cool initial between your names.

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
My DH has no middle name and while it doesn''t bother him, it makes me a little sad. I wish I could give him one! Actually, he had an employer once who required that he use a middle initial for an email address, and he had to make one up...
I think you should go for it! It''s not pretentious at all.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
It''s so sweet when they notice the little stuff that gets to you. I say go for it!
5.gif

As for the pretentiousness, most people around you probably don''t even know that you''re without a middle name. If it makes you happy, and he''s willing to, that''s all that should matter.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend that had no middle name also. Her mother had like 3 middle names, and didn''t want to saddle her children with so many names, so just didn''t give them one at all! When she got married, she moved her maiden name to be her middle name, and put her new last name on the end. Since you''re hyphenating that idea won''t work (it''s cool that your DH is going to hyphenate also!), but that''s soooo sweet that he wants to "give" you one! I say go for it!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Oh!!!! Definitely go and get yourself a middle name! I think its awesome when people have long names. My middle name is a short one syllable deal, and I wish it was a longer more flowy thing. Do it!!! Do it!!!!
36.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 3:41:16 PM
Author: MustangGal
I have a friend that had no middle name also. Her mother had like 3 middle names, and didn''t want to saddle her children with so many names, so just didn''t give them one at all! When she got married, she moved her maiden name to be her middle name, and put her new last name on the end. Since you''re hyphenating that idea won''t work (it''s cool that your DH is going to hyphenate also!), but that''s soooo sweet that he wants to ''give'' you one! I say go for it!
as a women, it could be nice to not have a middle name, because if you are taking your hubby''s name, there is nothing to drop when getting married.

on the other hand, who knows if you would want to change your name... maybe you never want to marry anyway. I''d personally not care to change my name, but if I had no middle name, it would make it easier to change it, psychologically.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course you must have one! And of course while you are doing paperwork on name changes is the ideal time to do the paperwork on your new middle name!

Congratulations!

AGBF
34.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go for it!

I have always loved my middle name, and I use it all the time. My names (first, middle, and last) are each only two syllables, so it isn''t a mouthful or anything.

When people get my voice mail they hear:
Sprint voice: "You have reached the voice mail box of"
My voice: "Lori Rachael Surname"
Sprint voice: "Please leave a message after the beep."

I''ve always had it set up like that, so for the past eight years all of my friends have been calling me by my full name. I love it.

You deserve a middle name, too!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t have a middle name, though I have a nickname (that is apart of my first name) I use it everyhwere and on everything, not official though, however it does show up on my credit report too. I''m fine without a middle name, no one in my family has one, for me especially I have such a long name anyways. That sounds great to give yourself one.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Go for it! What names were you thinking of? Anything with sentimental value, like a family name?

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
It's so sweet that he's changing his name too! You should definitely get a middle name if you've always wanted one.

My middle name is my mom's maiden name. Which is one of the reasons I didn't hyphenate my name and DH's and just took his. I didn't want to have three last names! And my middle name went best with his last name. Besides, I hardly know my father's family and I've always felt more like an M. (my mom's) than an L. anyway.
3.gif

As a slight threadjack: did anyone have their father get upset if they changed their names? When I told my dad I intended to take DH's name, he was like 'Why the heck do I care?' Well, I'm a writer and my byline frequently appears in the newspaper where he works. He got used to seeing it and loved to show it off. He then thought that I should continue to use my maiden name as my byline.
20.gif

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
I think that is an amazing idea! Can''t wait to hear what your middle name will be
1.gif

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 6:32:16 PM
Author: Haven
Go for it!

I have always loved my middle name, and I use it all the time. My names (first, middle, and last) are each only two syllables, so it isn''t a mouthful or anything.

When people get my voice mail they hear:
Sprint voice: ''You have reached the voice mail box of''
My voice: ''Lori Rachael Surname''
Sprint voice: ''Please leave a message after the beep.''

I''ve always had it set up like that, so for the past eight years all of my friends have been calling me by my full name. I love it.

You deserve a middle name, too!
I love the name Lori, you don''t hear it very often.. but it is gorgeous!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 3:58:11 PM
Author: joflier
Oh!!!! Definitely go and get yourself a middle name! I think its awesome when people have long names. My middle name is a short one syllable deal, and I wish it was a longer more flowy thing. Do it!!! Do it!!!!
36.gif

ditto Jo-
my middle name is a short one syllable deal too - and I''ve always thought it
didn''t work, as my first and last names are both 4 syllables..(and different
kinda names, whereas my middle one is plain).
My lil sis recently had her middle name changed by deed poll - I don''t blame her, lol.
I think my folks were smoking a bit when it came to the middle names
3.gif

goldfish, I agree you should do it. I like middle names. (but not so much folks with more than like 4-5 names
40.gif
).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results