shape
carat
color
clarity

Meteorite Wedding Band and Rusting

inloveinpa

Rough_Rock
Not sure if this is the right forum for my questions regarding my husband's meteorite wedding band, but it seemed like the best place to start.

My husband and I just got married a few days ago and he has been wearing his titanium and meteorite ring since Saturday (when we got married). Ever since he has put it on his finger, the etching of the meteorite has begun rusting. I did some research and contacted the vendor who made the ring, and both my research and the vendor said to coat the meteorite in gun oil to protect it from rusting. Last night, my husband cleaned the ring in 99% alcohol, as per several websites' recommendations, because alcohol lacks water which could oxidize the meteorite. He then used a blow dryer to get the excess moisture off the ring, and then applied a coating of gun oil to the meteorite inlay. He let it sit for a while then wiped off the excess oil.

This morning when he got to work (after sleeping with it on all night), he noticed that there were flecks of rust already showing up. Last night, the ring was spotless of rust, this morning (12 hours later), there was rust again. We were wondering if anyone else has had these issues with meteorite rings and if so, what you have done to stop this from happening?

We know that this ring will need to be taken care of, but also don't think it should have to be cleaned everyday because rust is coming back so quickly (daily). I have attached a couple pictures of the ring's rusting after one day. I know it doesn't look that bad, but after a couple days, it gets worse. If anyone has any ideas on how to prevent this, protect this from happening so often, or any other suggestions on how to handle this issue, we would really appreciate it. We would really have to get another ring for him because he really does love the one he has...

Thanks!

Meteorite ring and rusting 2.jpg

Meteorite ring and rusting.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
My DH, who is smart, says since most meteorites are made of iron, that you need to coat it with something to prevent the rust.

Iron will rust much faster than steel (he says).

You may want to coat it with a polyurethane or some kind of a clear polymer. Satin, not gloss.

So, get thee to a Home Depot.

Or you can go over to the colored stones thread, there are a lot of gemologists over there, and maybe they can tell you what kind of coatings are used on (fake) colored gemstones.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
hmm, my DH has the exact same ring (Boone?) and I did think I noticed a small fleck of rust in his. Like you he has had in just a month. It's supposed to have properties similar to steel. I can't see the rust in yours so I think it must be minor like his. It doesn't bother me and I didn't mention it to him because it is so tiny and he is OCD. If you find something that works I'd love to hear it.

inloveinpa

Rough_Rock
Ok, we did some more research and found that coating it with a wax coating will be the best bet in protecting it for a while...it definitely will need long-term maintenance, but this should help! We are going to send it back to the vendor to have it coated, which he said he will do! We haven't cleaned the ring in about a week and it is looking very dark and rusty, so hopefully this will treat the problem and protect it from happening so quickly in the future. My husband LOVES his ring and does not want to get a different kind, so he is determined to take good care of it lol.

Kelpie - it is a Boone (love his work!) and he is going to coat it with a wax coating. If you notice that your DH's ring gets worse, it would be good to see if Bruce Boone will coat it for you (which I am sure he will, since he's awesome!).

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder what museums use to protect the meteorites in their collections???

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
tourmaline_lover|1290564807|2777507 said:

:lol: I wouldn't have thought of that!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
tourmaline_lover|1290564807|2777507 said:

They wear gloves when they're touching them and never touch them with bare hands, since they rust so rapidly. If it were my ring, I'd consider having the meteorite section plated with nickel. It's rough enough that you'd never notice the plating and would be protected better than anything else I can think of.

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock
anyone have any updates on meteorite inlays on their rings and how the rusting issue has been resolved or is being resolved?

Thanks,

Ravin

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
The biggest factor in rusting is seeing some kind of harsh oxidizing chemical. The Gibeon meteorite is normally pretty inert on its own. It is mainly iron, but has some other stuff, just like stainless steel has other alloying components. It is much more inert than other meteorites like Muonionalusta and Campo del Cielo and others. It can be neutralized with a thick solution of baking soda and water and scrubbed in to remove any oxide and to neutralize the offending chemical. It can then be heated with a hair dryer to get it back to normal. It can be waxed or oiled if you like, but that is normally not necessary. Stuff like household cleaners or a heavily chlorinated hot tub will change the pH and and can cause oxidation, but it can also be put back to normal.

It is pretty cool material; over 4 billion years old, and from outer space from the core of an asteroid. It's also more rare than gold or platinum.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
TL|1290564807|2777507 said:

I'm not sure about whether it's used on meteorites, but the British Museum (I think) developed a microcrystalline conservation wax, which is now available to buy. It was developed primarily for metals that are designed to be touched by hands ie weaponry etc but it now seems to be good for many other surfaces so long as they are not powdery. I use it to stop copper pieces from oxidising too quickly (it does need to be replaced every so often but it works). I also use it on antique sewing machines, to protect the plated metal on parts that are touched frequently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax#Controversy_over_its_use

sonudagr88

Rough_Rock
My husband and I just got married a few days ago and he has been wearing his titanium and meteorite ring since Saturday (when we got married). Ever since he has put it on his finger, the etching of the meteorite has begun rusting. I did some research and contacted the vendor who made the ring, and both my research and the vendor said to coat the meteorite in gun oil to protect it from rusting. Last night, my husband cleaned the ring in 99% alcohol, as per several websites' recommendations, because alcohol lacks water which could oxidize the meteorite. He then used a blow dryer to get the excess moisture off the ring, and then applied a coating of gun oil to the meteorite inlay. He let it sit for a while then wiped off the excess oil.

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
Another product that works great is a shower cleaner called CLR (Calcium, Lime, and Rust) A quick wipe of that on the ring with a cloth or dip the meteorite ring in a small cup of it and it will clean right up.

AllyMac

Rough_Rock
Hi :)

I brought a meteorite wedding band set and had the same problem. I used CLR overnight to clean and then dryed carefully with a hair dryer. I then used Knockout Rust® Proofing KO-66 spray (this is usually used on cars) and now it is always shinney :).

Cheers

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were you all aware of the rust issue when you purchased your rings? What did the jeweler tell you about maintenance? What about some kind of lacquer- similar to what they use on brass?

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
sorry, no advice but just wanted to say that I love that ring.

JR_YATES

Rough_Rock
Trade
Here is a blog article that might help you.
https://www.titanium-jewelry.com/co...how-to-care-for-your-meteorite-ring-blog.html

In my experience I have found that when my meteorite ring shows some rust I:
1. Take an old toothbrush and dip it in CLR cleaner and then scrub off the rust from the meteorite.
2. Thoroughly rinse the ring.
3. Soak it in rubbing alcohol
4. Make sure the ring is 100% dry - use a blow dryer just to make sure you get all moisture out
5. Seal it with gun oil or WD-40

Over time these oils evaporate, so every few months I think you should re-apply the oil.

Hope this helps!

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a similar Boone ring and have had no issue with it. That being said, I don't wear it daily and am very careful with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results