shape
carat
color
clarity

Metal color and warmer diamonds....

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have worn yellow gold recently more than any other color. I usually wear a mix of yellow and unplated white. In the future I am thinking of setting a stone I have (W in color with med blue fluorescence) into platinum (possibly). With a higher color diamond is platinum going to clash? I enjoy the warmer and more buttery tones of higher colors and do not want to take away from that but would love to have a piece in platinum. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated =)2 Also, it would be a bezeled piece and possibly have a halo with old cuts. I am just in the pondering stage. Thanks!

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe doing the inner bezel in yellow and everything else in platinum? I will have to search through posts to see if there are examples.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of doing the inner bezel in yellow and the rest in platinum - that way you can be sure the setting isn't bleaching the stone but you still get your platinum piece ::)

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the idea of doing the inner bezel in yellow and the rest in platinum - that way you can be sure the setting isn't bleaching the stone but you still get your platinum piece ::)

Thank you for the feedback. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. I love to mix whites and yellows so maybe it's would tie everything together :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if YG would make the stone look more yellow than it is - is that an effect you would appreciate? If not, an unplated WG bezel might be a nice in-between.

I have this "tri-colour" setting (centerstone has been repurposed) - two alloys of 18k WG, both unplated, and 18k YG. The colours aren't hugely clear in these photos :(sad but the prongs and curls are a very white alloy of WG, the basket is a creamier WG, and the leaves are YG. I know that you're looking at a very different style - posting this only to show that mixing white and almost white (vs. white and yellow) can work: the colours can remain visually distinct even when there's only a small amount of metal showing...

J(RDG)C.jpg

J(RDG)F.jpg

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! I actually prefer the buttery colors in warmer diamonds. When the sun hits my rose cut it has a warm and buttery glow. I always lean toward stones with that look. I think that is what I don't want to lose with platinum. But I do want a platinum piece. Lol.

I wonder if YG would make the stone look more yellow than it is - is that an effect you would appreciate? If not, an unplated WG bezel might be a nice in-between.

I have this "tri-colour" setting (centerstone has been repurposed) - two alloys of 18k WG, both unplated, and 18k YG. The colours aren't hugely clear in these photos :(sad but the prongs and curls are a very white alloy of WG, the basket is a creamier WG, and the leaves are YG. I know that you're looking at a very different style - posting this only to show that mixing white and almost white (vs. white and yellow) can work: the colours can remain visually distinct even when there's only a small amount of metal showing...

J(RDG)C.jpg

J(RDG)F.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems like the ideal solution would be to simply acquire a white diamond and set it in platinum, and set this buttery delight in the YG that you usually go for ::)

(It's so easy to spend others' money for them :bigsmile:... )

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In general yellow gold will make diamonds with some color look more white.
Depending on cut more so than others. With a diamond that has a lot of leakage the yellow gold can be visible through the stone making it look more yellow.
However if you love the buttery look why not showcase it in plat or white gold? I would :} but I am not you.
It is personal preference.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your input. The jeweler also said that platinum would not wash out the stone. I may just go for it
In general yellow gold will make diamonds with some color look more white.
Depending on cut more so than others. With a diamond that has a lot of leakage the yellow gold can be visible through the stone making it look more yellow.
However if you love the buttery look why not showcase it in plat or white gold? I would :} but I am not you.
It is personal preference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results