Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Merelani Mint Garnet Tsavorite?

GemGraphicEtsy

Rough_Rock
Question. I just bought a Merelani Mint Garnet directly from the cutter. I haven't received it in person yet. It was sent to GIA for a report. The report came back yesterday and identifies the stone as a Tsavorite. The cutter says it has pink flourescence which it indicative of the Merelani Region of Tanzania. I read that the Merelani Mint Garnet and Tsavorite are cousins, but I'm curious why GIA labeled it Tsavorite. Seems to light in color to be called Tsavorite. Thoughts?

mint garnet.jpg

Attachments

GemGraphicEtsy

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I didn't find anything on the web that actually identified the Merelani Mints and Tsavorites as being the same stone, just that they were "cousins".

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re actually a less valuable form of tsavorite due to the pale color, but both are green grossular garnets. They tend to cost less per carat if all else is equal. When they were marketed as “mint” garnets, this helped the value because the mint color is very popular with people. They were also discovered in the Merelani hills, and they do fluoresce orange, which darker tsavorite tend not to do. It’s a cool phenomenon, but it doesn’t affect the color, like red fluorescence in rubies does.

I personally find them more attractive than their darker counterparts, but I have an affinity for pastel stones. I own a couple and I love them. Enjoy your gem. It’s lovely.

Last edited:

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your garnet! I love knowing where it went to!!! I wanted to buy it so bad but I'm trying to down size and be good. She is drop dead gorgeous!!! I hope you will come back and show us once she is set!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@gym33019 are you having doubts? If you return it to Alex would you please let me know. I hope that isn't being too forward! I totally get that! I sent my 5.80 green beryl ring to a lovely lady to see if she was sure about purchasing it and it's been in Texas, rerouted to Tennessee where it stayed for days, back to Texas and not moving from the distribution center it's at. I just feel so bad for everyone there:( Thankfully the lady I sent it to didn't lose her power, was very relieved when I heard that!!!

GemGraphicEtsy

Rough_Rock
@gym33019 are you having doubts? If you return it to Alex would you please let me know. I hope that isn't being too forward! I totally get that! I sent my 5.80 green beryl ring to a lovely lady to see if she was sure about purchasing it and it's been in Texas, rerouted to Tennessee where it stayed for days, back to Texas and not moving from the distribution center it's at. I just feel so bad for everyone there:( Thankfully the lady I sent it to didn't lose her power, was very relieved when I heard that!!!

I'm not having doubts necessarily, but I have bought enough gems to know that there is no shortage for evaluating the stone in person. I love it in the video, my only concern is that it could possibly be too "girly green" in person. I know the grossular mints can be electric so I'm just hoping I love it in person. If not, I'll let you know. Alex said he didn't mind if I returned it, as I purchased it before it came back from GIA with a certificate. He seemed to feel like the certificate identifying it as Tsavorite would fetch a bigger price than I paid for it :)

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@gym33019 You are wise to know that! I have had to learn that the hard way at times. Yes, the video is stunning!!! That's what reel's you in if you will. I like the electric part too. I hope you love it in person too! Thanks for offering to let me know if you decide it's not what you are wanting. I'm excited to hear what you think of it in person. Alex is very good about returns. I've seen him say, this stone is back and available on Instagram. I so appreciate that! It's hard buying gemstones without seeing them in person! I am kind of surprised he didn't send it to GIA. He does do that fairly often. He is probably right with it being a Tsavorite. Though I am still a bit confused how it is mint green and a Tsavorite. I need to reread that post again while it's not late at night!
Thank you again and I really do hope it turns out to be electric and that you love it! Can't wait to see your photo's!

GemGraphicEtsy

Rough_Rock
@gym33019 You are wise to know that! I have had to learn that the hard way at times. Yes, the video is stunning!!! That's what reel's you in if you will. I like the electric part too. I hope you love it in person too! Thanks for offering to let me know if you decide it's not what you are wanting. I'm excited to hear what you think of it in person. Alex is very good about returns. I've seen him say, this stone is back and available on Instagram. I so appreciate that! It's hard buying gemstones without seeing them in person! I am kind of surprised he didn't send it to GIA. He does do that fairly often. He is probably right with it being a Tsavorite. Though I am still a bit confused how it is mint green and a Tsavorite. I need to reread that post again while it's not late at night!
Thank you again and I really do hope it turns out to be electric and that you love it! Can't wait to see your photo's!

He did send it to GIA, he just listed and sold it before it came back with the certificate. They way I understood it, is that Mint Garnet is just a marketing term. Grossular Garnets are either Tsavorite or Hessonite. So a mint garnet is just a less saturated Tsavorite. I think what makes the Merelani Mint Garnet so remarkable is the undertone of blue that doesn't exist in green garnets from other areas like Kenya, which tend to produce a more yellow green, which is not really "Mint". I whish it would get here already! Not sure why Fedex thought it was a good idea to fly into Texas :/ This explains it well...

146800554_409527427009614_1541877978520359949_n.jpg

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@gym33019 That explains it perfectly!!! I’m with you- I love the blue undertone ❤️ Thank you!!!

That sounds like Alex! I was surprised when I thought he didn’t. Yes, this waiting part is not easy! Hopefully it arrives soon, like tomorrow!

GemGraphicEtsy

Rough_Rock
@gym33019 That explains it perfectly!!! I’m with you- I love the blue undertone ❤️ Thank you!!!

That sounds like Alex! I was surprised when I thought he didn’t. Yes, this waiting part is not easy! Hopefully it arrives soon, like tomorrow!

If you would believe it, it actually is finally arriving today! It got caught up in that winder storm and has been sitting in texas for a week. Two Day Fedex shipped on Feb. 16.....still not here yet! fingers crossed :)

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@gym33019 Oh my word! I sent a ring out to a wonderful lady in Texas right before the storm, it took an extra week. I am sorry you have had to wait so long! You must be so excited to get it!!!! I can't wait to see what you think of it and pictures!!! So excited for you!!!!

GemGraphicEtsy

Rough_Rock
@gym33019 Oh my word! I sent a ring out to a wonderful lady in Texas right before the storm, it took an extra week. I am sorry you have had to wait so long! You must be so excited to get it!!!! I can't wait to see what you think of it and pictures!!! So excited for you!!!!

Arrived! Pic and Video posted. It's gorgeous! Very reactive and fiery! It's a pinch softer saturation than I would like and I wish it was a hair less yellow green even though it does have some blue undertone. Still debating if I keep, return or sell. ugh. decisions!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arrived! Pic and Video posted. It's gorgeous! Very reactive and fiery! It's a pinch softer saturation than I would like and I wish it was a hair less yellow green even though it does have some blue undertone. Still debating if I keep, return or sell. ugh. decisions!

Rose gold would definitely bring out more green and blue. Put it on a shiny copper penny to see.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock

It is gorgeous!!! Does it have have an open culet? I love it!!! Let me know if you decide not to keep it! I can't remember the exact price. Though I believe I have the ballpark amount. I have a listing on Loupe Troop if you decide to sell you can get my email from there. Whichever way you decide to go, I will certainly understand- you will be one fortunate person if you keep it. If not, I will be. At least I can visit it here if you decide to keep it:) Thanks for sharing the picture and video @gym33019

GemGraphicEtsy

Rough_Rock
It is gorgeous!!! Does it have have an open culet? I love it!!! Let me know if you decide not to keep it! I can't remember the exact price. Though I believe I have the ballpark amount. I have a listing on Loupe Troop if you decide to sell you can get my email from there. Whichever way you decide to go, I will certainly understand- you will be one fortunate person if you keep it. If not, I will be. At least I can visit it here if you decide to keep it:) Thanks for sharing the picture and video @gym33019

It does have an open culet which is a cool effect. That cut also reflects light really well. It flashes quite nicely and the rainbow fire is an unexpected bonus (or rather a missed opportunity for Alex to promote it). He originally listed it for $2600 and dropped it to $2400 a week or so after, which is what I paid for it. I'm still deliberating and seeing how it looks in different lighting sources. It's magical in a light box. I think it may be a bit too feminine color for me and paired with the flashy rainbow sparkles....I don't know. I didn't want it to be a collectors piece, I really wanted to wear it. I'll let you know what I decide soon. Alex didn't have a GIA certificate when I bought it and thought he could sell it for more after the certificate came back. If you want it I am happy to let you buy it for the price I paid if you are sure about keeping it, otherwise I can just return it to Alex and let him relist it. Although I'm not sure I want to part with it at all :)

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
It does have an open culet which is a cool effect. That cut also reflects light really well. It flashes quite nicely and the rainbow fire is an unexpected bonus (or rather a missed opportunity for Alex to promote it). He originally listed it for $2600 and dropped it to $2400 a week or so after, which is what I paid for it. I'm still deliberating and seeing how it looks in different lighting sources. It's magical in a light box. I think it may be a bit too feminine color for me and paired with the flashy rainbow sparkles....I don't know. I didn't want it to be a collectors piece, I really wanted to wear it. I'll let you know what I decide soon. Alex didn't have a GIA certificate when I bought it and thought he could sell it for more after the certificate came back. If you want it I am happy to let you buy it for the price I paid if you are sure about keeping it, otherwise I can just return it to Alex and let him relist it. Although I'm not sure I want to part with it at all :)

@gym33019 I thought it did! I love that! Yes! Rainbow fire is a biggie, surprised he missed that! I absolutely want you to take your time and do what is best for you! The 2,400 sounds right. I knew it was in that ballpark. I more than understand, I would be buying it to wear it. I am sure if that's the direction you go in. I love it and I want it:) If you don't want to part with it- don't. She is your beauty. I'm pretty sure your heart will tell you what to do:) Thank you for even considering to sell it to me, I greatly appreciate it. You do what is your heart's desire and what is best for you! Thanks again!

GemGraphicEtsy

Rough_Rock
@gym33019 I thought it did! I love that! Yes! Rainbow fire is a biggie, surprised he missed that! I absolutely want you to take your time and do what is best for you! The 2,400 sounds right. I knew it was in that ballpark. I more than understand, I would be buying it to wear it. I am sure if that's the direction you go in. I love it and I want it:) If you don't want to part with it- don't. She is your beauty. I'm pretty sure your heart will tell you what to do:) Thank you for even considering to sell it to me, I greatly appreciate it. You do what is your heart's desire and what is best for you! Thanks again!

Thanks! I'm still taking it in. It's remarkably clear and the crystal is luminous! It actually performs the best in low light or indirect light. It's so brilliant that still sparkles with hardly any light near it. When you get it in the right light that brings out the blue undertone, it's pretty magical. I got a decent shot showing the blue undertone, maybe looks a hair bluer than in person. Still struggling to decide what I would do with it if I keep it. Hard to imagine a men's ring that suits the shape well.
IMG_9781.jpg

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I'm still taking it in. It's remarkably clear and the crystal is luminous! It actually performs the best in low light or indirect light. It's so brilliant that still sparkles with hardly any light near it. When you get it in the right light that brings out the blue undertone, it's pretty magical. I got a decent shot showing the blue undertone, maybe looks a hair bluer than in person. Still struggling to decide what I would do with it if I keep it. Hard to imagine a men's ring that suits the shape well.
IMG_9781.jpg

I think this shield shape particularly suits a men’s ring well. Lots of signet rings have this shape, so you could start from here as an inspiration? Imagine this shank in white gold or platinum, for example. You could make the lines geometric to match the stone.

857B9C43-7E46-4D7E-BB7E-ACB5207EA006.jpeg

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
IMG_9781.jpg

That is an amazing shot you got!!!! Wow!!! I can see why you are having a hard time deciding. It's so stunning and special!!! I just hope that when you do decide you feel really good about your decision! That is the main thing. @gym33019

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    Diamond Prices - April 2021
    Diamond Prices - April 2021
    The Unconventional Jewelry Hunt
    The Unconventional Jewelry Hunt

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.