shape
carat
color
clarity

men''s ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gray hilsman

Rough_Rock
What's the consensus of tasteful diamond rings on men? A solitaire perhaps in a gypsy mounting for a wedding ring? I can't see that this question has ever been discussed.

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hello grey...

If asking about a mans diamond ring
seems as a first for you. Don't
be surprised, men like diamond rings too,
but the ladies get to them first!

Kirk

PuddyKat

Rough_Rock
hi there gray,

I think having a diamond gypsy set for a man's wedding band is nice! Well, depending on size that is. I think a 10 or 15 pointer is a nice size. Actually, that's what my fiance and I are doing for our wedding bands. He will have a 15 pointer that he gave me years ago(from a promise ring) set into his wedding band. I think it'll look classy and it'll have the sentimental value. :love:

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Hi Gray,

It's really funny to me that you mention the idea of men wearing diamonds, as I have been jealous of the diamond I gave my fiancé ever since it left my possession and landed on her finger! No, I don't have a desire to wear a dainty Tiffany setting engagement ring, but MAN, I really like the inferno I see on her finger every time it flashes by! :) I'd really like to get a ring for myself showcasing a well-cut diamond, but I doubt I'd be able to pull it off without some folks looking askance at my finger and quietly wondering if they had misjudged something about me. Unfortunately, men just don't seem to wear big ol' diamonds on their fingers (except maybe Don King, but I'm NOT going down THAT road!).

Maybe I'll pierce an ear and get a big ol' diamond stud! :twirl:

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Gray, check these out

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
let's try this again

benchmarkrings.jpg

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
2nd one

benchmarkrings2.jpg

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the above posters. Right now I think that the only thing men can get away with is a small diamond in a wedding band. Even then, some people might think that is strange. It seems like an issue that the De Beers marketing people should be working on. :)

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi slmulkey,

Sometime when I talk to men
on the phone I get a very distinct
impression that they would like to have
a diamond for themselves.

Initially, when they start looking for their
wives or sweethearts, they too get caught up
in the numbers angles and degrees.

I guess that the engineering behind diamonds
appeals to guys too.

Hmmm...

Can you imagine, Debeers coming out with
a 1 carat mens solitaire commercial.

Saying something like;

"Ladies, is he worth 2 months salary" :bigsmile:

Kirk

optimized

Shiny_Rock
*bump*

Lugus

Shiny_Rock

----------------
On 12/29/2002 2
6.gif
6.gif
8 PM optimized wrote:

Hi Gray,

It's really funny to me that you mention the idea of men wearing diamonds, as I have been jealous of the diamond I gave my fiancé ever since it left my possession and landed on her finger! No, I don't have a desire to wear a dainty Tiffany setting engagement ring, but MAN, I really like the inferno I see on her finger every time it flashes by!
1.gif
I'd really like to get a ring for myself showcasing a well-cut diamond, but I doubt I'd be able to pull it off without some folks looking askance at my finger and quietly wondering if they had misjudged something about me. Unfortunately, men just don't seem to wear big ol' diamonds on their fingers (except maybe Don King, but I'm NOT going down THAT road!).

Maybe I'll pierce an ear and get a big ol' diamond stud!
twirl.gif
----------------

A mirror image of my own feelings.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been wondering about the same thing myself. I would love to purchase a ring with a H&A diamond for my husband for our ten year anniversary. It would be a surprise, of course, so I can't ask him for any input on style and size.
I only think it's fair for having to put up with me
2.gif

Besides, he did by me an engagement ring with matching wedding band. And for our tenth anniversary, we ordered a three stone ring with all H&A diamonds.
If anyone has any ideas on what would look nice, please post on this thread. I want something with one stone.
Thanks!

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
in addition to those check these out

[/u][/u][/u][/u][/u]

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My guy is from Jersey so he likes gaudy gold jewelry...an affront to my California love of platinum. But I have given up on converting him, and decided to get him the gold ring he wants for the wedding ring. But then I ran across some amazing bi-color gold rings...with yellow and rose gold, in the thick band style..beautiful. He liked those too so now I have some leeway!
1.gif

I asked him if he wanted a diamond in it or even a few and he said no. I was surprised as he seems to love the shock factor in his jewelry (I bought him a 10k gold .03c nugget pinky ring as a JOKE and he WEARS it!)...but maybe his story will change over time. He is very jealous of my ring...esp since it does not fit on his pinky.

Here are my contributed links...I've looked at alot of titanium stuff before I gave into the gold equation.

Lots of men's wedding bands:
http://www.e-weddingbands.com/?source=google&keyword=campaign6

Cool Titanium Rings: http://www.titaniumonline.com/

280 men's wedding rings (check out the titanium section o the left....VERY contemporary things!!) http://www.titaniumbands.com/pages/list_wedding_rings_mens.htm

HOF website has a few diamond mens' rings..surprisingly tasteful!
http://www.hof-diamonds.com/diamond_ring_setting.htm

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Although I don't like men's rings, I have seen a few tension settings that were somewhat cute! I don't remember the site, though.

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Excuse me, Ms. Mara, but are you trying to insinuate that people from New Jersey automatically are enamored of "gaudy gold jewelry?" I'll have you know, I am a New Jersey native, and I have nary a speck of gaudy jewelry on my person at any given time.

Let's have a little quiz. One question only:

1) Multiple choice. Which is the more gaudy of the listed items?

Choice A:
ringpix.jpg

Choice B:
ringcollage1a.jpg

I rest my case...

Disclaimer: This has been a test of the Satire Awareness System (SAS). The satirists in your area, in voluntary cooperation with local, state, and federal authorities have devised this test to warn you of impending satire. Had this been good satire, it would have been obvious from the start (and probably funny too), but this was only a test. This concludes this test of the Satire Awareness System....

-Tim

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow that first ring is stunning..where did you find those *amazing* pictures?
2.gif

Your statement of 'are you trying to insinuate that people from New Jersey automatically are enamored of "gaudy gold jewelry?"' and your posting of your sweetie's GOLD ring somewhat worked against each other IMO...
9.gif
But you may be correct in that my ring against your sweetie's ring does look a little out of control with the diamonds, heeee. It's much smaller and in-scale on my person.

You know there is that stereotype about Jersey and lots of gold chains...I'm just furthering it.
11.gif
Figure since I am marrying a Jersey boy...I get some sort of special license.

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Actually, I was focusing on the "gaudy" part more than the "gold" part. I think it's safe to say that (of the two) gold is still certainly the most common metal for jewelry (even in California).

Btw, I think the stereotype you're thinking of is the image of large populations of Italian-Americans driving around in IROC Z-28s, smelling vaguely of garlic and olive oil, wearing either layers of leather or jogging suits (depending on the occasion), and living in NORTH Jersey (there's a HUGE difference between North Jersey and South Jersey to those of us who live here). Let's try not to make it worse for the rest of us living here by throwing us into the same stereotype, eh?
twirl.gif

-Tim

"Piney Power"

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Btw, I want to clarify that I don't actually think your ring qualifies as "gaudy" at all. I was just using it as a playful point of comparison to my Jersey sweetie's decidedly "minimalist" ring. Just wanted to keep that straight...
1.gif

-Tim

Mexi

Shiny_Rock
I love diamonds on a man. My husband has his father's engagement ring from 45 years ago ~ .25ct in a thick yellow gold band. I gave my husband a 10 diamond channel set band last year as an upgrade from his simple gold band.

My son is 8 and I dream about buying him a diamond ring. I always ask him for his birthday or Christmas if he wants jewelry. He says no, he wants YuGiOh trading cards.
confused.gif

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
My fiance and I first looked for my ring - and fell in love with the tension set rings.

After deciding on what ring I am going to get (GAI TR145 in 18k yellow gold - http://www.mickeyroof.com/mr_gai26.html) my fiance was very jealous - he wanted a cool ring like that. So we decided to get him a tension set ring... but the one he likes has extra diamonds on either side...

And I've been doing diamond research, so he's very jealous of the 1-carat diamonds I am looking at... so he wants a .5 carat diamond in the middle of his tension ring.

Here's a link to the ring he will be getting (also in 18k yellow gold):
http://www.mickeyroof.com/mr_gai22.html
It's the TR 107...

It matches mine very well - but could be considered very feminine with all those diamonds (although GAI says it's unisex). I just figure it goes with the man, he's a software engineer by day and a ballroom dance instructor by night so this compliments both his techie side and his gentleman side.... and if he's happy with it then so am I!
1.gif

JoeSquid

Rough_Rock
I had never thought of diamonds until shopping for my Fiance's ring. Once I saw a tension setting I had to have one. I modified it so the stone is rectangular (brilliant) instead of round to make it look more like it is part of the band. Given the size of my hand (im a big guy) a tiny diamond looked silly so we went with a .77 and it looks great (at least I think so and in the end that is who will look at it most of the time). I have to say I was hesitant about getting a ring with such a large stone (I am not bling-bling) but all my honest friends say it looks classy.

Now, my fiance's ring - THAT thing will bring down airplanes.

side-small.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My Grandpa Joe, may he rest in peace, wore a 1.65 ct OEC pinky ring for decades. It was Grandma's original engagement stone; she reset it and gave it to him for an anniversary present. After he died, she reset it again in a necklace and gave it to me as a graduation present; now I wear it in a ring.

Classy? Maybe not. Gaudy? Maybe. Twinkly? Definitely.

I should say, he was a northern Jersey boy. But his pinky ring was platinum.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about yellow diamonds? Or brown? Aren't those suposed to be more suitable for large men's rings? Surely any kind can be cut with as much precission as one wants. Besides, a large signet ring turns up every now and then even among the most conservative crowd. With bezels and gipsy settings and cab stones I am very convinced guys actually get the most elegant rings out there
angryfire.gif

JoeSquid

Rough_Rock
I saw one guy that got the same basic ring like mine but with a large green round moissanite with small green moissanite stones in the band. It was an amazing piece of jewelry.

I've been thinking of what I would like. I, like many of my male counterparts, would like a diamond but with a style that is still somewhat masculine and not the "Liberace" famed look. Since my girlfriend wanted a square stone, I've been thinking about what a 1/2 -3/4ct square stone would look like mounted in a ring that was not the conventional band but was designed to look perhaps more like a man's ring.

I've also toyed with the thoughts of a titanium band or a platinum band that had some type of engraving but with no stones... I really would like to know what my girlfriend would like to see/design on my hand but I know that won't happen......Oh well, guess I'll have to just follow these threads and see where it takes me
9.gif

read.gif

JoeSquid

Rough_Rock
I felt the same way. I didnt like the idea of a bunch of tiny diamonds all over the place and most of the larger stone settings just didnt do it for me. That is why I went with the tension setting. I guess the idea of having a ring that is applying more than 1200 pounds of pressure on the diamond seemed more appropriate. Although the picture looks a little yellow the band is white gold with a satin finish so the only part that sparkles is the stone.

top-small.jpg

JOESQUID - nice! Do you have any profile pids that show what that princess looks like? It's cool, got the stone et looks like a "mans ring!"

BOONERINGS - Interesting!! May I ask where you saw that ring?

Thanks guys!

read.gif

JoeSquid

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the kind words about my ring. If you look at my earlier post I have a pic of the ring from the side. It is a .77 "brilliant cut" diamond. You can see that the band is wide on the outside and thin on the inside almost like a V shape.

antonia

Rough_Rock
Your ring rocks!!!

Very beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results