shape
carat
color
clarity

men''s attire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Is anyone having the men in the party just wear regular suits? I think we may go w/nice black suits for the men, groom included and then have everyone have a matching tie or something like that. At first my FI wanted the formal tux but now is fine w/just a suit. I think I''m fine w/the suit too but want the men to have a matched look, not totally random.
Any idea where to buy the tie? I tend to buy my FI tie''s from Marshall''s a lot but doubt I''d find enough of the same one. I''m thinking maybe a dept. store but don''t want to spend a ton of $.

Any other ideas besides matching ties? Do you think everyone''s should be the same: groom, best man, groomsman, father''s, ring bearer?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
When we marry my BF will be wearing a suit. If he has a best man, he will also be wearing a suit. I think it''s a very modern thing to do for less formal weddings.

Nordstrom''s has great ties in a variety of prices if you have one near you.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I think suits are a great option for less formal weddings!! We may do the same but FI is again dragging his feet on attire thing.

Anyhow, around here and I don''t know if it''s the same for you, but it''s not very easy to find a place that rents them. They of course rent tuxes but one would have to buy a suit if that''s what was wanted. It was kind of a barrier for us as we too are on a small budget. You may very well have a different selection where you''re located........

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
My dh wore a black suit from men''s warehouse to his sister''s wedding as a groomsman. All the groomsmen wore the same suit with a silk duponi tie in the material and color of the bridesmaids'' dresses. They all looked pretty sharp!
30.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 3:08:25 AM
Author: IndieJones
My dh wore a black suit from men''s warehouse to his sister''s wedding as a groomsman. All the groomsmen wore the same suit with a silk duponi tie in the material and color of the bridesmaids'' dresses. They all looked pretty sharp!
30.gif
Yeah, our MW, while huge, does not rent them. Only rents tuxes
7.gif
We had hoped they would as I hear about it on here all the time.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Neatfreak, thanks, I will check out Nordstrom''s. When I finally get into gear and go try on slips and bra''s for my dress, I''ll do some tie shopping too!

So Happy, hadn''t thought of the rental issue. I think most everyone already has a suit but I know at least one that doesn''t. I''ll have to look into rentals or maybe we can rent from a tux place b/c a lot of those "tuxes" look like suits to me.

Indie, I like the idea of the ties matching the bm dresses but the thing is, my bm dresses are black and I don''t think I want black ties. My bm''s might have a pink sash but since our other color is sage green, maybe we''ll have a green sash for the dresses so that the ties can also be green.
Do you think that will be too much: my ivory dress, black bm dresses w/possible pink or green sash or maybe just black (it comes w/black already), black suits and pink or green tie and pink flowers w/green ribbon? I think the flower girl dress will be ivory.

So thinking about all of this, here''s some questions:
What color should the flower girl dress be? One bm suggested black but I don''t think so for a little girl. If ivory, have a sash? If yes, what color?
What color sash for the bm dresses?
What color tie for the men? Does the groom''s outfit differentiate in any way from the other men?

Thanks!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Come on ladies, I need YOUR help! Please!!

What do you think?

laine

Brilliant_Rock
I like the idea of using one color to tie everything together: for the sashes on the BM and FG dresses, and the guys ties. Since I suspect most guys wouldn't go for pink, I'd use the sage green. It'll also brighten up the black BM dresses and add color to the FG (go with white or ivory, black would be weird. If you wanted, you could do sage green with a white sash). Anyway, if you focus on one accent color (either sage or pink) to add to all the black and white, it won't look too busy at all. If you do the sage green, the pink flowers will pop more, which I think is nice.

As for the groom, you could have him in the same tie as the rest and use his bout. to differentiate (ie give him white and rest pink flowers, or whatever), or you could put him in either a white or a black tie, while the other guys have the green. I'd have the ring bearer match as best you can. The dads' I think would be fine matching the GM, or in something slightly different, like a subtle pattern if the GM ties are solid.

The suit thing will depend on how much you want things to be matchy-matchy. If different suits are ok as long as they are all black, the guys might be willing to buy suits. Decent suits can be had for around $200 dollars, which seems like a better deal than spending $100 for a rental, since everyone can use a black suit.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Laine! I like your ideas a lot, so much so that you inspired me to create a collage to sort out the ideas.
I agree that black is weird for the FG dress. I found a FG dress that is ivory w/sage and I love it!
I like the idea of making my FI''s bout. a little different than the others. Ah, something else to research!! Fun!

Thanks again, I appreciate your input!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d try JCpenny''s or kohl''s for ties. They will have a large selection and enough of the same tie, but they will be very reasonably priced relative to nordstroms, macy''s, etc.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Kcoursolle, good idea! I''ll try those stores too. I think I will order the FG dress so that I can take it w/me when I go tie searching.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dixie, Stein Mart is a more upscale version of TJ''s or Marshalls and there are 5-6 of them in the burbs. They have a great selection of designer ties that are discounted from dept. store prices, plus if you find something you like at one store but there aren''t enough you can have them call other stores and see if they have any on hand and then have them shipped to you for a nominal shipping charge. There''s one in Darien, Orland Park, Wheaton, Naperville area, and a couple other locations I can''t think of right now.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Monarch! I think I''ve seen a Stein Mart but never been in. I''m adding that to my list!

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I believe that tuxedos are just suits. So, your guys can all rent tuxedos without the vest, cummerbunds, bowties that come along with them which I am sure are additional. Instead tell them to purchase a certain type of shirt (be specific) and gift them ties of your preference.

HTH

ETA: some nice ties on overstock: http://www.overstock.com/?PAGE=CATLIST&PRO_SUB_CAT=2107&PRO_SSUB_CAT=12639

I don't love the look of pink sashes and matching pink ties...too matchy for me. What about playing around with a subtle print? How about checkerboard? Stripes? What is the season and time of your wedding?

For flower girl, not sure...what colors are you pulling into your invites, flowers, favors, etc? She can just wear a super pale pastel color that is like a tone off of white. Sorry, i don't really have a good sense of your overall scheme.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Kit, thanks for your response. I actually put together a collage that I posted in a new thread last night. ''
The wedding is late summer (early Sept.) and is a lunchtime event.

Hope the collage helps give you a better idea. I am trying to stick w/ivory (mainly just my dress), black (bm dresses and mens suits), dark or hot pink (flowers) and a sage green (possible mens ties, possible fg dress, ribbon around bouquets).
The favors will probably incorporate those colors b/c I''m thinking of making sugar cookies and frosting them to incorporate the colors.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds nice. I like sage and hot pink. For ties, what about gingham? I think it''s totally cute for lunchtime Sept wedding. Plus it will sort of lighten up the black suits a bit. I think you could prob find them in sage.

I think the men''s ties could be gingham and their bouts could be a hot pink flower, like a rose or whatever prominent flower you''re using. So cute! Your bm''s could carry hot pink arrangements tied with the matching gingham...or if that''s too much gingham, you could use a combination of gingham and something else, like paisley or chintz (apparently it''s making a resurgance from the ''80s like everything else). I feel like your black dress/suit scheme really leaves an open palette for you to play around with prints. I think we all tend to avoid prints for weddings (me too), but they are really fun and add a unique touch to a wedding.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Kit,
Looking at prints is a great idea! I will make sure to that when I look at ties and ribbon. I think it would add a nice touch.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dixie, on the printed tie note, I think you could even go so far as to mix/match prints or patterns in ties as long as they all shared sort of the same primary color, i.e. hot pink! That might eliminate the need for you to find several of the same exact ties at one store, and what a fun concept, imo!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results