shape
carat
color
clarity

Men’s ring - yellow diamond and enamel ring

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
92566AC4-4E17-4DE0-9F6B-84DF66DD858B.png 3F2B430D-0E15-40C3-8FEE-F09B2DD47E82.jpeg 034BC170-9323-43EC-A02A-EFC92CA38C0B.jpeg A5DB893D-8159-4847-9F1A-F1B6A781C941.jpeg Hi guys.

Here is my latest design - a yellow-brown emerald cut 1.5ct diamond with pave set bands with enamelling. ;for the purpose of the model, the enamel is red but when it’s made, it will be cobalt blue.

What do you think?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think?

I don't like the prongs located at the center of each side of an emerald cut.
I think the ring would look better with the prongs at the 4 corners of the diamond.
Besides looking better corner prongs would hold the diamond more securely.

Better yet, no prongs.
Set the diamond into the two sides, which would need to be raised higher.
Then cut a hole under the culet of the diamond so the diamond won't sit so high.

I do like the idea of the enamel though.
I'd be careful about the hue of the enamel, because the diamond will pick up and reflect some of that hue.
Also, there will be some mixing of the hues of the enamel with the body color of the diamond.
Cobalt blue may clash with the yellow-brown hue of the diamond.

I'd buy the diamond first and place it over paper (or your computer screen) of many colors, one at a time.
Decide which color (in your opinion) best compliments/contrasts/mixes with the yellow-brown of your diamond.

For a man's ring I'd leave out all of the melee diamonds.

Last edited:

starrylight

Shiny_Rock
Echoing kenny about the prongs.
I think the design would look more seamless with just the two rails above and below the emerald cut.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I am not liking it. You just attaching a prong head to a ring. The end result looks very disjointed and top heavy, which makes the ring feminine. For men rings, I much prefer flush, bezel, semi-bezel or tension sets. Prongs are my last choice. In addition, the prongs should be at the corners.

In general, you want your stone to sit low.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-worlds-first-octavia-ring.136357/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-yellowish-brown-octavia-in-cvb-solitaire.235908/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mens-bling-eyecandy-folder.116617/page-22#post-4085812 (I like this. The stone is a bit raised, but it gives the overall design just a right amount of elegance, otherwise very boxy design. unisexy).

Last edited:

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Kevnick80, here are some image search results. 18K yellow gold backing for that awesome emerald cut. Kevnick, may you do a mock up with out the middle row of diamonds?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 133

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Kevnick80, here are some image search results. 18K yellow gold backing for that awesome emerald cut. Kevnick, may you do a mock up with out the middle row of diamonds?

0ED4034F-072E-404A-9F86-6300CA12DE1C.jpeg

My jeweller did the mockups so this is just a quick sketch to stop the eye being distracted by the middle row.

Better??

Yellow gold, white gold or rose gold, with the blue enamel?

daneshpastry

Shiny_Rock
Premium

My jeweller did the mockups so this is just a quick sketch to stop the eye being distracted by the middle row.

Better??

I find that certain yellow stones blend in with yellow gold, which is a waste of a diamond! I would go white gold .Just my 2 cents .

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that certain yellow stones blend in with yellow gold, which is a waste of a diamond! I would go white gold .Just my 2 cents .
I like the removal of the center row of pave. But, I concur with others that I'd like to see more elements of the design. Typically, men's rings are a cathedral type setting. The sides of the shoulders usually reach nearly to the culet. But, you have to like the design for diamond.

So, my idea would be to have them create a seat for the diamond and then have it prong set on the 4-corners (like PP said). That seat can be whatever color gold you want (this also provides protection for the girdle and corners of the diamond). In my bad drawing, the seat is yellow gold. This kind of setting is also sometimes called prong in bezel. That yellow gold then continues down the center of each shoulder as a raised stripe that would be proud of the the shoulder. The pave can be bead set with a slight raised outline. Your jeweller has it prong (or fishtail?), but it does not flow on the top as they have it shown. Then you fill in between the pave row and the gold channel with blue enamel (they need the raised edges to contain it, blue arrows). My goal in doing this is both aesthetic and to provide some protection for the enamel. Its not a hard-wearing finish compared to metal.

upload_2018-2-22_21-12-5.png
3-D element to add to center of shoulder. Orange rectangle. Proportions up to you, it can be quite narrow compared to this.
upload_2018-2-22_21-5-56.png

Bead set example. Can you see how there is a raised frame around the pave that makes up the "H"?
upload_2018-2-22_21-7-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-22_21-5-19.png
    upload_2018-2-22_21-5-19.png
    208.8 KB · Views: 9
  • upload_2018-2-22_21-11-51.png
    upload_2018-2-22_21-11-51.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 6

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
image.jpeg

Better??

Kevnick, i found this pic which has rose gold next to blue enamel. You know what? Mikey likes it. What do you think?

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
image.jpeg

Kevnick, i found this pic which has rose gold next to blue enamel. You know what? Mikey likes it. What do you think?

I agree with you. It does look great. I don’t really go with the norm when it comes with jewellery so I want something different. And the cobalt blue works. My diamond is a lot deeper than that colour. It will look great when finished!

Thanks for the image!

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
So should I have the bezel set diamond set in rose, yellow or white gold? And the band, what colour metal?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think blue with yellow gold I a classic combo and will complement your stone nicely :appl:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps consider whether the diamonds going up the side can be smoothed out, (e.g., channel, etoile, or gypsy set) Currently, being raised as they are, it could be uncomfortable as they scrape against your adjacent fingers. (Red arrow)
Unless, you are already considering having the enamel "fill up" the valley between the raised diamond edges.
(Blue "enamel")
IMG_6152.jpg

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Perhaps consider whether the diamonds going up the side can be smoothed out, (e.g., channel, etoile, or gypsy set) Currently, being raised as they are, it could be uncomfortable as they scrape against your adjacent fingers. (Red arrow)
Unless, you are already considering having the enamel "fill up" the valley between the raised diamond edges.
(Blue "enamel")
IMG_6152.jpg

What is etoile? And if it’s gypsy set, does it need to have lots of metal either side of each diamond, as I want a thin run of metal along the side of the diamonds?

Also, can a jeweller fill up the channel of blue enamel or is it a thin layer they apply?

Thabks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results