shape
carat
color
clarity

Meet HOLY MOLY old cut, my first uncertified to certified Diamond purchase

HNGN

Shiny_Rock
Hello lovely PS'ers,

I am back!! This reveal is to showcase my very first purchase buying an old cut uncertified purchase (uncertainty, paranoid, no idea what to get), everything just based on the diamond pictures and videos. I was initially looking for a rose cut cushion but the more I research, the more I am interested in such "old cut cushion" as compared to rose cut cushion. Thus I work with my dealer to find an old cut cushion with the faceting I like. It was tough he said as there ain't many of such diamonds in the market.

Like this: HOLY MOLY
Diamond before.jpg

Okay the dealer made a bad "estimate" telling me it was likely a M, I was like "no way it is definitely not a M, it looks way more yellowish than M" but I went on with the purchase as I love the stone faceting very much. Paid and then send to GIA for certification (which was again another nightmare as I waited 5weeks for it).

GIA Preliminary Result (came back with a color that I really dislike U-V, but with an EX Polish & VG Symmetry was better than I expected)
GIA Preliminary Result.jpg

To commemorate my very first purchase pre GIA - after GIA certification, I've decided to have it inscribed with my initials. :lol:
Inscription.jpg

I love the loose stone when I received it, it's GORGEOUS!
Loose Left Ring Finger Horizontal.jpg

Loose Right Ring Finger Vertical.jpg

Ering & Loose Left Hand.jpg

3 Ring 1 Loose Left Hand.jpg

HNGN

Shiny_Rock
Next: The Setting - Custom handmade.

18k WG with hidden halo
Settings.jpg

Front Angle.jpg

Side.jpg

Right Ring Finger.jpg

5 Left Ring Finger.jpg

5 Left Hand.jpg

Does anybody find it weird?
I love the setting by itself.
I love the diamond by itself.
But this diamond set on this setting, it just doesn't appeal to me, I don't know why.
Nevertheless will be keeping this setting for awhile for the time being. ;)2

Lessics

Shiny_Rock
I loooove the diamond. The setting not so much and the two together really don't sing to me.
I think the white gold makes the color of the diamond looked washed out and pale!
Maybe yellow gold next time would be the right direction.

Your collection of slightly warmer diamonds is beautiful and I love your oval E-Ring. And I really want a cushion like that!

Do you mind telling us more avoit how you achieved or negotiated a fair price with no certificate?

Last edited:

maita13

Shiny_Rock
Holy Moly to the nth degree!! That IS such a stunning diamond❤!!
I imagine her In a three stone setting but then again, I’m biased :D. I also think she’ll look great solo on an 18k setting in the vein of Jen Aniston’s e-ring.
She’ll look gorgeous any way you decide to set her.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Shiny_Rock
Wow, beautiful diamond! The faceting is gorgeous. Perhaps the halo takes the focus away from the faceting? I think it would look amazing as a solitaire and possibly in an East-West setting!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Awww she is amazing!!!
I think that you are right. The others are going in the right direction too.
Soli E-W in high carat YG would be awesome.

You could also keep the pave, keep the WG even and do an antique style setting but have the prongs in yellow and have a well done traditional háló made. It does not flatter the diamond that it is sky high set and being so much above the halo makes it lose the contrast.

A third option would be high carat YG but have a vintage feel with a tradi halo. You can still consider EW or keep it NS.

My jaw dropped, you have a breathtaking, truly inspiring collection!!!

Alex T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond! Another vote for 18ct yellow gold to bring out her sunny side.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s an amazing diamond! I agree the setting is beautiful but somehow seems to wash out the diamond

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone, nice setting, but I too think they don’t really work together! I think a ‘normal’ halo, rather than a hidden one, would have been better. I agree she also may need yellow good to enhance the colour, it does look a bit washed out here.
Your Diamond is gorgeous though, once you live with her for a while I’m sure you’ll know what to do with her...she’s gorgeous and HUGE!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That diamond is GORGEOUS. Chunky monkey holy moly indeed. And if it were mine I would play up the UV color and bring out that delicious golden buttery yellow color. Embrace it and make it the most beautiful yellow diamond ring ever. That diamond is one of a kind delicious.:kiss2:

caolsen

Shiny_Rock
What a lovey bit of buttery goodness. As she is today, amazing stone. I love warmer stones as well. She’s stunning as is, but have to agree that in a hg yellow gold, perhaps even cupped, solitaire she’d be a jaw dropper.

maita13

Shiny_Rock
Last edited:

Catmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, gorgeous stone!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOVE that stone, is a beauty!! The color & facets are just beautiful. I'd have to agree with others, re the 18K yellow gold comments. I have an N AVC, and had to go through 2 settings before I was happy. The first was platinum, the second was an 18K bezel...which did the trick. I think yours would just be stunning in YG. What a gorgeous stone!

HNGN

Shiny_Rock
I loooove the diamond. The setting not so much and the two together really don't sing to me.
I think the white gold makes the color of the diamond looked washed out and pale!

Your collection of slightly warmer diamonds is beautiful and I love your oval E-Ring. And I really want a cushion like that!

Do you mind telling us more avoit how you achieved or negotiated a fair price with no certificate?
Hello @Lessics Thank you! Yeah I was also thinking whether is it the WG that is making the entire setting weird... ;))
I work with different dealers hence I asked about the price of similar diamonds (market rate) that they sold certified and I offered a price slightly lesser than the certified ones.

Holy Moly to the nth degree!! That IS such a stunning diamond❤!!
I imagine her In a three stone setting but then again, I’m biased :D. I also think she’ll look great solo on an 18k setting in the vein of Jen Aniston’s e-ring.
She’ll look gorgeous any way you decide to set her.
Hello @maita13 dear, thank you for your kind comment. =)2
Yeah I love your 3-stone. I don't want another 3-stone for the time being as I already had a 3-stone ring.

Wow, beautiful diamond! The faceting is gorgeous. Perhaps the halo takes the focus away from the faceting? I think it would look amazing as a solitaire and possibly in an East-West setting!
Hello @MRBXXXFVVS1 thank you! Yes I was also thinking whether did that hidden halo take away the focus.. But will definitely keep your suggestion in mind. :razz:

Awww she is amazing!!!
I think that you are right. The others are going in the right direction too.
Soli E-W in high carat YG would be awesome.

You could also keep the pave, keep the WG even and do an antique style setting but have the prongs in yellow and have a well done traditional háló made. It does not flatter the diamond that it is sky high set and being so much above the halo makes it lose the contrast.

A third option would be high carat YG but have a vintage feel with a tradi halo. You can still consider EW or keep it NS.

My jaw dropped, you have a breathtaking, truly inspiring collection!!!
Hello @Sunstorm awww you are so kind, thank you for the nice words.
Yeah I realise about the others' right direction too (i realised after the diamond was set :eek2:)
I love all of your suggestions (E-W, YG prong, Vintage feel) and it is helping me lots if one day I am going to change the setting. :lol-2:

HNGN

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful diamond! Another vote for 18ct yellow gold to bring out her sunny side.
Hello @Alex T thank you! Yeah noted on the YG sunny side... :sun:

That’s an amazing diamond! I agree the setting is beautiful but somehow seems to wash out the diamond
Hi @MakingTheGrade thank you! Yeah you are right, I love the setting on its own. But together they are kind of weird, maybe is the "wash out effect". :razz:

Gorgeous stone, nice setting, but I too think they don’t really work together! I think a ‘normal’ halo, rather than a hidden one, would have been better. I agree she also may need yellow good to enhance the colour, it does look a bit washed out here.
Your Diamond is gorgeous though, once you live with her for a while I’m sure you’ll know what to do with her...she’s gorgeous and HUGE!
hello @Hounddog thank you! Yeah I was thinking the same as you like "how bout a proper double halo would look better". I think I need the ring to be on my sister's finger to look & feel how it portrays when other people are looking at it. It may also be a situation where it looks weird on the wearer perspective but look pretty on looker perspective. My sister said it is so pretty when she saw it and claim it was nicer than my E-ring. ;-) Though from a wearer perspective, my E-ring definitely look prettier :mrgreen:

That diamond is GORGEOUS. Chunky monkey holy moly indeed. And if it were mine I would play up the UV color and bring out that delicious golden buttery yellow color. Embrace it and make it the most beautiful yellow diamond ring ever. That diamond is one of a kind delicious.:kiss2:
hi @missy yeah I love CB chunkiness especially on an old cut style. Yeah I may really want to do some adjustment to bring out the yellowishness as I realise I really like the look of yellow diamonds more than colourless diamonds. Thank you for your kind words :D

HNGN

Shiny_Rock
What a lovey bit of buttery goodness. As she is today, amazing stone. I love warmer stones as well. She’s stunning as is, but have to agree that in a hg yellow gold, perhaps even cupped, solitaire she’d be a jaw dropper.
Hello @caolsen Thank you! Aww nice to know that you love warmer stones as well. I love them too but more towards the W-FLY range. I really dislike U-V color no idea why, this diamond color do not appeal to me at all :lol-2: yeah I do also think that I may be going for the YG route.

Cool shape and lovely setting! Did you ever consider cupping it?
hi @tyty333 I probably will find an alternative than to cupping it, it needs to allow me easy cleaning in future as well.

Your collection is seriously amazing! :love:
Thank you @winnietucker

Can’t stop thinking about your gorgeous stone...and I’ve been wanting an old cut cushion one. May I ask where you got her?

As for setting, below is what I was referring to on my previous post:
https://www.25karats.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/jen-ring.jpg 1576436725651.png

hahaha @maita13 you are so cute, it was JenAni that makes me fall in love in rose cut diamond but I realise I love the old cut CB even more. :P2

It reminds me of Erin Fosters Engagement Ring! I love that ring style.
Screenshot_20191215-210729_Chrome.jpg
@Lessics you are good! You found something that I think looks kind of similar to mine :clap:

Wow, gorgeous stone!
Thanks @Catmom

LOVE that stone, is a beauty!! The color & facets are just beautiful. I'd have to agree with others, re the 18K yellow gold comments. I have an N AVC, and had to go through 2 settings before I was happy. The first was platinum, the second was an 18K bezel...which did the trick. I think yours would just be stunning in YG. What a gorgeous stone!
hello @sarahb yeah I know about the 18k YG comment, it was again another classic case of trusting my jeweller who told me to go with WG :oops:
Good to know that I am not alone with the thought of changing the setting. Thank you sweetie for your lovely sharing. :mrgreen2:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is AMAZING!!!!! Talk about an incredible find! Sorry if I missed it somewhere but what are the dimensions and carat weight?? It looks like a serious boulder!

You have a good eye in realizing that the setting doesn't quite do it justice. Totally agree with everyone else that it deserves a high-karat yellow gold setting. I don't know how you feel about the antique look but I can imagine it in a Victorian style buttercup solitaire setting with LOTS of little gold prongs all around it, on a plain gold shank. Yummy!

Congrats on this fantastic stone! You are a very lucky lady! (and the rest of your collection is TDF!)

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That stone is AMAZING!!!!! Talk about an incredible find! Sorry if I missed it somewhere but what are the dimensions and carat weight?? It looks like a serious boulder!

You have a good eye in realizing that the setting doesn't quite do it justice. Totally agree with everyone else that it deserves a high-karat yellow gold setting. I don't know how you feel about the antique look but I can imagine it in a Victorian style buttercup solitaire setting with LOTS of little gold prongs all around it, on a plain gold shank. Yummy!

Congrats on this fantastic stone! You are a very lucky lady! (and the rest of your collection is TDF!)
Look at the jewelers for you image, it has the diamond info there. very spready shallow 3.03

bludiva

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
what a find! have you tried surrounding it with gold foil/paper to see if that enhances the color? it looks to me that a gold cup underneath would give it some added oomph. congrats!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone, I hope the vendor gave you a discount for being incorrect in colour by that much.... The stone is stunning and the setting is beautiful but they probably don't look as good together as you thought because that's an old cut with a very modern setting.

monipod

Shiny_Rock
This! I think setting the stone in yellow gold would have made it pop. I think it's a wonderfully unique stone tho. What a collection!!

Voldemort

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello lovely PS'ers,

Like this: HOLY MOLY
Diamond before.jpg

Loose Right Ring Finger Vertical.jpg

I love it.. but I might have brought out that gorgeous light yellow more with some buttery 18 or higher k yellow gold. It's an amazing stone. :) Enjoy.. !!!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it is beautiful! What a find! I agree with everyone here, 18k yellow would make it shine. I also like the setting you have it in now, it is beautiful. It is also different from your others, and that is nice. Maybe the jeweler who made your setting could replace the prongs and maybe add a yellow decorative piece under the basket, like a fleur de lis. That might enhance the color without having to change the whole thing. It is such a lovely setting but maybe just needs a little pop for you to be thrilled with it.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the halo seems a little small like the stone like too much of the halo is under the stone and it is making it feel off. The stone itself is lovely and I am sure will look amazing when you find a setting you love.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.