shape
carat
color
clarity

Measurement help needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Anyone who can help - I'm not good figuring measurements!

Looking at a 1.65ct marquise
Measurements are 11.60 x 5.95
based on that, I can't figure the 3rd #.

I'm trying to figure out if the proportions are decent. Thanks for any input! :wavey:

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
(I downloaded a copy of diamcalc, but it keeps changing the #'s I input!)

rsilvers

Shiny_Rock
The third? The first two are just the width in perpendicular dimensions for round stones. For that stone you have to measure or ask them. No way to compute it.

Tarams

Shiny_Rock
Thanks CutNut, you're the best! (I found that the version of DiamCalc I have is limited because it's a trial version).
But that's exactly what I was looking for.

I have 2 more questions - those #'s have to be correct - I mean the angles must be as shown in order for the dimensions to be the same, right? Or can the angles be different making the depth different?

What does the black bow tie represent if white is lost light?

Thanks

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your version works too - but you are trying to enter things in the wrong order. Play around and you wil get it to work :)

The black is head reflection. Play with DC and read all the help sections and you will learn heaps :)

Sue777

Rough_Rock
Since this original post was from 2002, can I assume Garry''s reply is no longer valid? My "trial version" of DiamCalc" won''t let me enter anything but a marquise until I register/purchase.
Sue

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
The trial version has always only allowed access to the marquise category.

The rest comes upon purchase, in which case you will be given a computer key that unlocks all the other capabilities.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The old standby weight estimation table for marquise stones with a 2:1 ratio is:

Weight = length x width x depth x 0.0058.

This includes some assumptions about the girdle and the like that may not be accurate but it gives you a place to start.

A bit of algebra reduces that to:
Depth = weight/ (length x width x 0.0058)

Neil Beaty
Independent Appraisals in Denver

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Tara

You really aren''t being clear about the third measurement..

Do you mean depth of the stone?

Or do you mean calculating carat weight?

The formula that Neil posting is for getting an estimate of the carat weight of the stone.

Calculating the depth isn''t something you can calculate.

But even with the numbers, it won''t tell you about the light performance of the stone is.

Get the seller to provide you with the measurement of the depth of the stone.

Even better get a copy of the cert and post it here..

Hope this helps

Rockdoc

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Only having the marquise options works great for me because that is what I have. However, the DiamCalc trial version doesn''t seem allow for adjustment of the length measurement. I can adjust every other measurement. Shouldn''t you be able to adjust for length? Am I missing something?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/9/2005 3:11:58 PM
Author: RockDoc
Tara

You really aren''t being clear about the third measurement..

Do you mean depth of the stone?

Or do you mean calculating carat weight?

The formula that Neil posting is for getting an estimate of the carat weight of the stone.

Calculating the depth isn''t something you can calculate.

But even with the numbers, it won''t tell you about the light performance of the stone is.

Get the seller to provide you with the measurement of the depth of the stone.

Even better get a copy of the cert and post it here..

Hope this helps

Rockdoc
Rock,

She supplied weight, length and width in her original post. The missing measurement is depth. The same formula can be used to determine any single missing variable. You''re right, of course, that this won''t tell her much about the optics of the diamond but it may be useful to decide if it will fit in a particular mounting.

Neil

Sue777

Rough_Rock
HOLD EVERYTHING - this is like playing telephone where the messages get a little more confused and mixed up upon each transmission! LOL This thread was originally started by someone named Tarams back in November.

I was trying to use the trial version of Diamcalc today and was having trouble, so I did a "search" on here looking for hints. I found Tarams thread and noticed that Garry told her that even the trial version should work. So I posted on that thread asking if that were still true, because it truly was NOT letting me use the trial version for anything but a marquise, which I do not have... I have a round.

But thanks, everyone, for trying to help Tarams. I hope she''s still on here to appreciate it!
emotion-5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results