shape
carat
color
clarity

MBSR Meditation?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does anyone know anything about Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction meditation?

In TIME magazine the other week there was this incredible article about it, saying that well-designed studies from well-known medical institutions had found dramatic reductions in inflammation and telomere-shortening (or something - maybe lengthening) that control studies with subjects doing other relaxing activities had not found.

Basically the evidence was overwhelming that this type of meditation has incredible benefits.

There is a course near me starting soon. Before I spend $200, has anyone ever done this type of meditation? Thoughts? I'm under a lot of stress as a caregiver and some of my friends have drifted away, and I'm quite old now and sometimes it's hard to stop negative thoughts creeping in about the future. I was really upset the other week because I felt I had nothing to look forward to. I'm hoping this meditation might help, and also offset any physical damage from all the caregiver/isolation stress, and attendant lifestyle factors like weight gain, not having time to exercise or meet new people, etc.

Anyway, if anyone knows anything about this topic, please let me know. Thanks!

Edit: I can't access the TIME magazine online but here's an Oprah article about it: http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Learn-to-Relax-With-Mindfulness-Meditatation

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got Russell Simmons' book on meditation from the library, I can recommend it.

Mindfulness asks you to exist only in the moment. Your thoughts pass by unexamined, unresponded to, they simply pass through withno judgment.

Its not an easy thing to learn but it is worthwhile.

Try meditation tapes or downloads, Jon Kabat Zinn, among others.

Regarding your negative thoughts regarding the future:

Ruminating on the past can bring depressive thoughts/feelings.
Ruminating on the future can bring anxiety.
Keep your focus on where you are right now and how you are right now.

I hope you find some relief. Sleep, sweaty exercise, decent food help.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there,

You might want to give this a try, if you don't want to spend the $200 or also check it in conjunction with the class. Meditation is something that does require effort and conscious practice, but very worthwhile imho.

Eckhart Tolle - The Power of Now - entire audio book
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJkIKAz37lo

Kroshka

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Though I've not studied closely the elements of MBSR, I do understand the included mindfulness meditation is consistent with what I trained in at Shambhala ( http://shambhala.org/learn-to-meditate/ ), and there, you can learn at no cost how to engage in this practice...also have friends to do it with, and share experience.

Good wishes,

Ira Z.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the responses, everyone! :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check back in and tell us how things are going, what you thought :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results