shape
carat
color
clarity

Maybe tonight I can post the ring pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
Ok I must admit, I''m very sorry. I was runnin'' a little late and I grabbed my dig. camera, the ring, the certificate, a bunch of batteries and headed off to work so I could take the pics and post them for you guys....the one thing i forgot.....the cable to connect my dig. camera to my work computer....sooooo I''m going to have to suck it up and try to upload them tonight on my home computer even though it''s dial-up.
5.gif

Does the only thing I''m worried about is that it''ll be a little too small. I bought her a promise ring that was size 6 and it was big enough that it would slide up and down but not above her knuckle so I got her a 5.5 and I always compare it by using my pinky and this ring seems small....just cross your fingers that when I give it to her it fits....i would hate for me to propose and her get the ring and then have to take it in to get it resized so she can show it off. That would stink

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
If ya care about the story of how I got the diamond here it is...sorry it''s king of long but a lot of crazy stuff happened...

Funny story...not really THAT funny though....

I took a half hour lunch so that way I could leave earlier and try to catch the FedEx guy before he got to my house. I kept checkin'' up all day to make sure I wouldn''t miss the delivery. I checked it right before I left work and I hadn''t missed it yet but then when I got to my house it said I had missed it by over 2 hrs....so the website didn''t update that fast....

So I get online and look up directions to the FedEx building...of course it said not to pick them up until after 6:00 but I got there at 5:30. I had to drive nearly 55-60 miles one way to pick the package up. When I got there the driver wasn''t back yet so she said I would have to wait another 45 minutes for him to arrive. I begged for her to see if there was a place that I could meet him and I could get the package and she said they don''t do that. So I walked out and sat in my blazer and got ready to call my girlfriends parents to tell them I would be late for dinner (I was supposed to be there at 6:00). So I got off the phone and saw the lady walking out to my blazer to tell me the driver said I could meet him at a gas station that was half way back to my house. Soooo I drove through town for absolutely nothing and wasted a ton of gas. I get to the gas station and wait and he shows up and gives me the package.

Do I wait to open the box? HECK NO! I opened up that sucker right then and checked out the ring. The pastor that I''m assisting for the summer has a brother that is a jewler for Kay''s Merchandise and I''m going to have him look at it and tell me what he thinks it''s worth and what he''d rate it n''stuff. I have no doubt that I am going to keep it because it''s beautiful. I''m a little worried about the size though....I bought her a 6.0 promise ring and it was big so I got this a 5.5 but to me it seems like it''s going to be too small. I just hope her fingers are smaller than what I think haha....how much does it cost to get it taken up a little bit?

So tomorrow I''ll take my dig. cam to work and post some pics for ya guys....i''m at home on dial-up...and uploading pictures takes about as long as my drive to get the diamond......oh btw....I was 45 minutes late for dinner and her parents kept asking "why''d you have to go to lafayette?" I didn''t think it was the time to have the talk while we were at the dinner table with her sister. So I figured I''d wait for the right moment but then we turned the Cubs game on and watched it so the time never really came for us to have the talk.....This saturday we''re all going to a friends wedding and then back to their house to swim so I will probably talk to them then...any advice about the big talk or how i should initiate it?

Here''s what I''m thinking....

"I wanted to thank the both of you for everything you have done the past five years and being like my second set of parents and I have a ton of respect for the both of you. This is why I would like to ask both of you for your daughter''s hand in marriage..." I figure then whatever rolls off my lips will be butter because they''ll be like WOAH IT''S ABOUT TIME!! What do you guys think?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are a great guy and they''ll be very happy when you finally ask!!! What you plan to say is perfect! How will you get them alone on Saturday?

Can''t you buy a cord for the camera on your lunch hour????
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thing. I might be tempted to size that ring up a little before you give it to her. It''s not expensive assuming it is a plain setting. Engagement rings will tend to be a little loose until they sit next to a wedding band. But you don''t want it to be tight on her.

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
I do need to buy a new cord for it though....while i''m having my jewler look at the ring i''ll see if the little shop next door has one....so ya might be in luck
19.gif
Saturday we are going swimming and usually when we swim we sit out on their back porch and talk for hours...so...i''ll talk to her sister (if she doesn''t have to work) and be like i need to talk to your parents about (i''ll make up something beforehand) can you give us some time alone? I just don''t knwo how much time I should think this whole thing would take....like is it an hour or two conversation? Or is it me asking them askign me a few questions and then take me out for a dinner to celebrate or what? haha

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t see it taking more than 5-10 minutes... good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree...5 or 10 minutes. Is your girlfriend not going to be there?

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
She''s in Battle Creek, Michigan doing a summer internship...so she''ll have no idea i was at her house or anything. But it woudlnt'' be weird if she found out I was there because I usually go swimming there all the time during summer...she comes home June 22nd and then leaves again June 28th

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I can''t wait to see pics! I might have it sized up a little also. A 5.75 moves on my hand, but a 5.25 would be too small. Better to have it slightly loose, but her able to wear it, then too small and not. :)

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
Can''t wait for pics....

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
so you think i might get a 5.75 instead? When she wears her promise ring that''s a 6 it like flips around and the jewel is on the bottom and whenever we hold hands it hits my hand...and i find it very annoying and would almost rather her not wear it because of that so whenever she comes home for good for the summer i''m going to get it resized...but her engagement ring I would rather it fit when she gets it....how much do you think it would cost to go up from a 5.5 to a 5.75? and should I sent it back to JA to have them do it?

tina sparkle

Shiny_Rock
don''t resize it yet, wait and see how if fits once you give it to her. it might be perfect.
good luck.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''d suggest against resizing it, also.....becuase if it doesn''t fit, you''ll have to resize twice, and that bothers me from a structural integrity point of view.

Leave it as is. You can always go to the local mall and have it sized while you wait at one of the jewelry bench places. A friend of mine did that.

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
and they would do just as good of a job as anywhere else?

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Do you think it would give it away if one of the first days you were home you took her to the jeweler to get her promise ring resized? Since you said you were planning to do it anyway, she may not suspect anything. (and if she did she would think you were only on the "trying to get her ring size" step:)) You could call the jeweler ahead of time and ask him to note the size when he resizes it or even just pay lots of attention when you guys went in. That way you could be SURE before the proposal.

ETA: I meant when she is home. Can't wait for the pics, too!

firstbase32

Shiny_Rock
i''m not sure.....but she knows a ring is coming..so it woudln''t be too big of a deal to do that....i could do that too...i could have her meet me for lunch and take her to get her ring resized...i know the jewler so he would remember it. That''s a very good idea that i had never thoguht about...

the pics should be up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results