Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Maul Jewelers, Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
For anyone familiar with my post/rant a few weeks back on chain jewelery stores...I had a few minutes to kill today before an appointment, and I went into a well-known Canadian maul retailer...they are closely related to Zales in the US.

I looked at a 1.07 RB Canadian diamond (Canadian diamonds are an interesting marketing ploy - but I''m digressing.)
Anyways, it was an ideal cut, F VS2, Depth 60.70, Table 55.90, Crown 34.70, Pavillion 43.70. I examined it from all angles under a loupe, and to my untrained eye, it was very clean. It had a clear pattern of arrows visible in the face-up position. It also sparkled like a disco ball.
When I got home I plugged the numbers into the HCA, and it came up 1.5 TIC. Nice.

And now, for the punchline...it was $14,999.00 Canadian. That''s $10,781.83 USD, at the current conversion rate. Plus 7% GST, plus 8% GST. The ring was set in a simple 14k yellow gold setting, and I asked what it would cost to have it set into a plain platinum tiffany-style six prong setting....wait for it...another EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS added to the purchase price.

I asked the sales clerk how many of these rings she''s actually sold. She said, "Not many. Most people buy the cheaper 1 carat diamond (they had an H I2 non-premium cut for $4,999 - still highway robbery!) It''s almost as nice, anyways."

I am so glad I found you guys.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sorry girl but you missed out a *great* bargain!

Run away as fast as you can!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you telling me you have a problem with paying $11k for a 1c diamond? Cheapo!!!!

'it's almost as nice anyways'....yeah okay. I got a bridge I wanna sell ya...

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
hehheheh...

Canadians are dumb in my opinion. And yes, I was born
here in Canada. Why do you think that you can only find
crappy diamonds everywhere here in Canada? Because
people buy them. That's it. At least, you found a well
cut diamond!

Trichrome.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
It's not just diamonds when it comes to mall stores. Often times they're even more clueless when it comes to colored stones.

A ways back when I was in the midst of getting my GG, I walked into a high-end store in the mall near my house wanting to see some tsavorite garnets, if they actually had any. I had just learned about them from the GIA Colored Stone course and wanted to see one in person, since my wife's birthstone is garnet and I thought I might one day get her one.

Well, when I asked the clerk if they had any "tsavorite garnets," I could almost see the question marks floating out of his head. He called the owner/manager over, and I repeated the question. He at least seemed to understand what I was looking for, but still had a funny look on his face. They in fact had one, a fairly nice one, but in the course of discussing it, he started shaking his head at me in a condescending way. He reached across the display case and pulled out a rhodolite garnet ring, stuck it under my nose, and declared, "No, that is a garnet. This is a tsavorite." I thought about explaining to him that garnets are a mineral group consisting of a bunch of different stones, only some of which are red . . . but I could see it was a lost cause. That was when I walked out. And I had only started my GG courses a couple of months before this.

(I ended up getting my wife some tsavorites but had to order them from a web site in Thailand
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring
    Love Conquers All- Quarantined and Engaged
    Love Conquers All- Quarantined and Engaged

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.