carat
color
clarity

Matching…

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hi!
First time posting in Pearls!

I just received the T&Co solitaire pearl necklace with the little diamond from my husband for my birthday.

I wanted to also get the earrings, which we subsequently went back a couple weeks later to purchase (yesterday).

However, while they are a nice match, they aren’t an exact match.

The earrings are a perfect match to each other. But the solitaire pearl in the necklace has, I believe, a slight rose’ oertone/orient.

Do you think it’s possible for the earrings to be a true match to the pendant?… or am I being unreasonable?

Here are photos in different lighting.

Three of the images look as though they are all a match, making me see what my husband was trying to tell me: that they are 99.9% matching.

But in the first photo you may be able to see what I am referring to. This image is taken inside the closet with recessed lighting and no windows.

I didn’t notice this until I took them out this morning (in the closet).

Given in 3 of the images I couldn’t even capture the difference with the camera, it made me think that any difference lies in the fact that the necklace is a larger pearl so that larger surface area would contribute to an optical differential.

But when I see the image taken in the closet it appears their base colors differ.

(As an aside, I purposely didn’t get the same size for necklace and earrings as I have very small ears so anything beyond the smallest ones looked ridiculous on me.)

So what do you think?… are they a nice match?… would it be acceptable to you?

Thank you so much!

ABBEC9FE-228A-474D-B79B-DA8790293C5A.jpeg 9AEA375C-B7DF-4B03-854E-760CCB1575E7.jpeg CBDC3970-7D8F-41F5-8435-D118A25BCEE9.jpeg 41963359-AA49-4B62-8C46-3820BD8FBB56.jpeg

Last edited:

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Happy Birthday! I think they're beautiful and matched well. I'm color sensitive and I have a hard time detecting a difference.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do see the difference @headlight. I would agree with your assessment - the necklace has more pink overtone. The earrings are a very nice match to each other, that's half the battle right there - it can be challenging to get earrings that match well in luster, body, and overtone.

The difficulty photographing differences - that's quite normal. These aren't massive differences and just like with diamonds - how they look and perform is mostly a function of lighting.

Do you think it’s possible for the earrings to be a true match to the pendant?… or am I being unreasonable?
So this is a tough question. Is it objectively possible? Absolutely.
You'll often hear "pearls are natural", "perfect matches simply aren't possible", "that's part of the beauty of organic materials".
Well... Kind of. It absolutely is possible to get a fantastic match, or a fantastically matching suite. No question, and don't believe anyone who claims otherwise. But it can be difficult to accomplish.
1. How much are you willing to pay?
2. How long are you willing to wait?
3. Are you working with a vendor who understands your concern and is willing to call in alternates for you?

WIth Tiffany - #1 is taken care of. Cost is by size and grade, not by nuance of colour. I don't know the answers to #2 and #3, I'm afraid. Do you have a local SA you could talk to? Sounds like you just purchased the earrings yesterday, so you're well within timeline to return/exchange.

It really depends on what's most important to you. You and your husband bought this set together, so if there's sentimentality in this pair - you'd be doing nothing ill-advised by keeping them. They’re nicer pearls and nicer matches than the vast majority of what’s out there, and the brand has market value, and most likely noone but you will ever see the difference!! If you know that the disparity will bother you over time, though, better to address now than lose money later!

An alternative - if Tiffany either can't or won't search for you, and getting a perfect match is important to you - is to have another vendor that specializes in pearls match earrings to your pendant. Pearl Paradise would be my pick for this.

Last edited:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I think they're beautiful, and the earrings are well matched. I do see the different pink tone of the pendant, but it would not bother me when worn, together, as the pendant will not be physically right next to the earrings. And overall I agree with yssie compared to most of what is out there the entire set looks well-matched and lovely overall.

I think this is one of those cases where your personal preference wins out- but for me and most people they look great!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@yssie thank you so much for your extensive perspective.
No sentimental issue to be concerned with… I’m going to end up with this pair or another so end result will be the same. Plus, for me it is all about the “grand gesture” that he took me to Tiffany!
Tiffany charges based on size, nothing else which makes it user-friendly although I know that might not be specific enough for some. It’s fine for me. I must say the surface quality is perfection. I had just completed GIA Pearls Graduate in June so I had the opportunity to see a variety of examples.
I spoke with my husband about laying out the $1400 + tx to bring in another pair and he was fine with it (albeit not thrilled lol!).
So the money is okay (although issue is to make a decision on first go-around so I get refund before credit card billing cycle ends. Oh the webs we weave in our quest for perfection which makes my husband NUT (“why can’t you just be happy?”).
So that, of course, opens the question about how long and psychotic would I go in search of that pair with just the right color and overtone.
As for another vendor, I want these specific sizes and mountings. I looked at Mikimoto but I didn’t like their necklace and they didn’t have earrings small enough.
I’m waiting for word from my SA (2nd request… her first was not in support of being able to bring in something specific.)

Thank you!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m nutty about matching myself. My husband may or may not have used precisely the word “psychotic” in the past to describe my demand for the perfect match… Suffice to say - I get it :bigsmile:

And yes!! Tiffany has nice pearls!! I hope your SA is willing to help you find your perfect pair :love: Let us know!

Mikimoto does offer sizes not listed on the website - the website is a subset of what’s available, the boutiques would be able to give you more info. Just for your future reference. ::)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@FL_runner thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.
I do think it all works but would prefer if the earrings had the overtone in and of themselves, regardless of the necklace. But I don’t know if it’s possible. The SA said they can’t make a request for orient. That was surprising to me given it was Tiffany.
I did chat with online Tiffany who said I could purchase another pair from them and exchange within 30 days but that brings up the issue of taking the sale away from the associate which I would feel badly about.
Wondering if I should do that. And if I did and preferred the ones sent from the distribution center I could just send back the ones I got from the store given they see exactly same item, size, and price???
I just make life so difficult for myself! And, as stated above, the husband doesn’t know why I can’t just be happy :(

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@yssie I appreciate your candor and your shared quest for perfection!
As I replied in an earlier post, my SA does not appear to be willing to bring in another pair. That surprises me because even if she said they can’t make a request for orient and the fact she thinks it is the best “set” as is, I would think she would just bring something in to take a stab at it. Also, she has been working with my husband and I on new watches. Would be about a $9k sale for both together (hubby’s 60th and “shouldn’t I have the matching ladies version with the diamond face lol!). So I would think she’d want to accommodate….

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@yssie ALSO: is it okay to wear them in a desert-climate while dining outdoors and they have the misters on (summer time)?
Want to wear this evening!
Thanks!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi!
First time posting in Pearls!

I just received the T&Co solitaire pearl necklace with the little diamond from my husband for my birthday.

I wanted to also get the earrings, which we subsequently went back a couple weeks later to purchase (yesterday).

However, while they are a nice match, they aren’t an exact match.

The earrings are a perfect match to each other. But the solitaire pearl in the necklace has, I believe, a slight rose’ oertone/orient.

Here are photos in different lighting.

Three of the images look as though they are all a match, making me see what my husband was trying to tell me: that they are 99.9% matching.

But in the first photo you may be able to see what I am referring to. This image is taken inside the closet with recessed lighting and no windows.

I didn’t notice this until I took them out this morning (in the closet).

Given in 3 of the images I couldn’t even capture the difference with the camera, it made me think that any difference lies in the fact that the necklace is a larger pearl so that larger surface area would contribute to an optical differential.

But when I see the image taken in the closet it appears their base colors differ.

(As an aside, I purposely didn’t get the same size for necklace and earrings as I have very small ears so anything beyond the smallest ones looked ridiculous on me.)

So what do you think?… are they a nice match?… would it be acceptable to you?

Thank you so much!

ABBEC9FE-228A-474D-B79B-DA8790293C5A.jpeg 9AEA375C-B7DF-4B03-854E-760CCB1575E7.jpeg CBDC3970-7D8F-41F5-8435-D118A25BCEE9.jpeg 41963359-AA49-4B62-8C46-3820BD8FBB56.jpeg

First off happy birthday and
welcome to the nacre side
Its a stunning necklase

I dont really know squatt about anything but i do have eyes

I see a difference in the first photo only but i know only too well you can't rely on a computer or phone screen

A necklase and earings are worn comparatively far apart on the body compaired to say rings or bracletes and unless you look in the mirror you will never see them worn on you

But
if this is a wee niggle that is going to in any way chip away at your own enjoyment of owning and wearing them then your desire to have a better match is definatly valid

I dont think anyone looking at them while you are wearing them would ever notice though

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
As I replied in an earlier post, my SA does not appear to be willing to bring in another pair. That surprises me because even if she said they can’t make a request for orient and the fact she thinks it is the best “set” as is, I would think she would just bring something in to take a stab at it. Also, she has been working with my husband and I on new watches. Would be about a $9k sale for both together (hubby’s 60th and “shouldn’t I have the matching ladies version with the diamond face lol!). So I would think she’d want to accommodate….

Sounds like she needs to be reminded about the watches ......

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I sort of figured they might not, to be honest. Overtone is a really pearl-people specific thing - I’ll bet they don’t have any internal notes on what overtones their sets have either. So she’d have to either call into other locations and ask them to tell her what overtones are available, or have them sent to her and look herself… And she may not even really know what to look for! ;( We pearl people take a fair amount of knowledge and visual acuity for granted!!

You’re well within reasonable to ask her to bring in a couple more sets for you to look at, though. I’d be unpleasantly surprised if she wasn’t willing to do that for a client with purchase history. No guarantees of overtone, just them bringing in two or three more for you to see and choose between. If she declines to do that I would totally be buying several off the web store and returning the excess and d*mn the commission.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie ALSO: is it okay to wear them in a desert-climate while dining outdoors and they have the misters on (summer time)?
Want to wear this evening!
Thanks!
I wear my pearls everywhere I want. I figure they’re going to be dust in a few hundred years anyway - so what if I hasten the process a bit :lol:

I think the bigger concern would be it being so hot the glue loosens. Just check your earlobes every so often I guess!?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear mine every time it rains
It certainly adds some sunshine to a wintery day
I figure as restringing is just regular maintenance with pearls, the pearls will enjoy the humility over any worry of the cord stretching

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome!!
I’m thinking of taking a detour to Tiffany myself tomorrow to check out the Hardwear bracelets… Let us know what you think of the new pair!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!!! I wish I was near a larger store as there would be many options.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size are your earrings? If I go in tomorrow I can ask to see what they’ve got… Mine’s one of the major boutiques.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
What size are your earrings? If I go in tomorrow I can ask to see what they’ve got… Mine’s one of the major boutiques.

6.5-7mm that is the smallest for that item.
Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@headlight
This was the best match that my boutique has (also happens to be the pinkest pair) -

F63F060B-D83B-4CDA-A156-93A0155A93B0.jpeg

5F4A2C2F-8F8C-4867-96BB-FAE28E51A081.jpeg

31638D58-4655-4556-A65B-74C4FDC3D42E.jpeg

D092F08A-1AD4-4427-8E4C-DE94FC3E7C40.jpeg

08EF0D94-E51A-4BFD-95AD-F4D5BEC81D3B.jpeg

19753CDD-2F3A-4C08-A58D-4CD63ED6C611.jpeg

350E782D-2D60-4A96-BF9A-A414993C43FF.jpeg

8E27107D-B049-425A-A23C-32E89F629295.jpeg

They confirmed they can’t special order by overtone. I’m pretty confident this pair does have more pink than yours. But. IMO they’re 80-90% match? Not perfect. One has a creamier body than the other, and the less-creamy one is more contrasty. Same amount of pink overtone in both, to my eyes. Not at all visible on the ears, but next to each other, well, you can see it in the pics (which are true to real life).

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Compared to Mikimoto AAA (9.25-9.5mm and 7.5-8mm).

Tiffany couldn’t compete against Miki’s best. Ignoring amount of pink - Miki pairs are both more iridescent, more lustrous, and more contrasty, and I gotta be honest - visibly outclassed all Tiffany akoya on display. But Mikimoto owns the akoya market so not hugely surprising.
If you want the bestest branded pearls… @headlight is there a Miki boutique near you that you could visit? I know you said you didn’t love the pendant styles. Would you consider mixing brands - pendant from one house, earrings from another?

C8645BCC-0E9C-4C7E-8ECC-0BDCCF4D3BD3.jpeg

A146F86E-206F-4422-9184-398395058C6D.jpeg

CB82A6CB-47A0-40B1-AD1C-C4B46096DABF.jpeg

Last edited:

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@yssie omg you are amazing! I’m practically in tears that you would take the time for someone you only “know” in an anonymous discussion board!
May I ask what location this was? I wonder if my location could get them transferred in?
I am going later today to see the pair they got in but I don’t think it is a match… they appear to have a lovely rosy overtone yet they appear to be even more creamy than the pair I have now. The necklace is a white/silver, not creamy.
What you found looks promising… let me know which store location if you wouldn’t mind.
i don’t believe miki has the size earring I am seeking (with diamond).
And I do want to keep same with tiff for both.
THANK YOU!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@yssie here is what I’m going to see (the small ones on the left… I think it looks similar to one of the images you sent me:
3D138157-02EA-423F-B867-B759E50F0BE0.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No prob :)) Tyson’s Corner, VA. It was a productive visit for me too LOL.

The bigger pair in that pic are clearly more silvery/white. Yeah. I think the 6.5-7mm I saw were less creamy than the smallers in your pic. But not as silvery as the biggers in your pic. In-between?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
No prob :)) Tyson’s Corner, VA. It was a productive visit for me too LOL.

The bigger pair in that pic are clearly more silvery/white. Yeah. I think the 6.5-7mm I saw were less creamy than the smallers in your pic. But not as silvery as the biggers in your pic. In-between?

Thanks! Was that the store’s only pair in the small ones? I’m just wondering if I need her to bring those in what to tell her if there was more than 1 pair. Did you give them your name?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@yssie so I went back and the pair that came in had an amazing luster and overtone… however, they were super creamy and also were tiny… so much so that you could see the mountings when on the ears. They seemed like they were for a sweet sixteen gift. I have small ears and a petite stature… but I’m also 56. They would be good for me for really really casual wear and I don’t need to spend $1400 + tx for that.
I told her my friend knew my struggles over this and went to her local store and they have a pair she thought may be a good pairing and “could you bring them in”. She said that it’s like never done because it isn’t a high enough priced item. But then as I was leaving (as they were literally turning off the lights because it was past closing!) she said if I could get her the the info she would speak to her supervisor.
Do you know if that was their only pair in the 6.5-7mm $1400 size?
Thank you!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. They were the only pair of 6.5-7mm akoya set in this style, with the diamonds, available in the store ❤️

Edit - I used my real name so they won't recognise "yssie". And I also asked about multiple studs, so def be sure to request the style with diamonds specifically (I'm sure you would anyway but just to be extra sure) since those weren't the only pearls your friend had asked about today! I had asked about other pairs as well wondering if any might be worth resetting but I liked the preset ones in the style you want best :bigsmile:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results