shape
carat
color
clarity

Marrow Transplant Possibly Cured AIDS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
From the article: "An American man who suffered from AIDS appears to have been cured of the disease 20 months after receiving a targeted bone marrow transplant normally used to fight leukemia, his doctors said Wednesday."

This probably could go under the good news thread, but if it is true/possible that this may be the cure it would be such an amazing discovery in the medical community I think it deserves a thread of its own.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2008 9:07:50 AM
Author:KimberlyH
From the article: ''An American man who suffered from AIDS appears to have been cured of the disease 20 months after receiving a targeted bone marrow transplant normally used to fight leukemia, his doctors said Wednesday.''

This probably could go under the good news thread, but if it is true/possible that this may be the cure it would be such an amazing discovery in the medical community I think it deserves a thread of its own.
Absolutely!!!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing, moon. My husband told me about this man last night and I was so excited to find/read anything I could about it. I know it''s only one case, not even close to enough evidence to support the possibility, but if it''s true that this might help even a small percentage of HIV positive people it will be more than exciting. My words/thoughts are muddled, but my heart is just so happy to know there''s a chance they''ve found a cure.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! I hadn''t seen this! That''s amazing...off to read more about it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s awesome!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope it''s true! I am just so skeptical of one time studies that haven''t been peer reviewed and published in good journals...

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
It''s exciting, but I''m skeptical as well. It will be interesting to see how he''s doing in three more years or so. In any case, it wouldn''t be feasible to do bone marrow transplants for all HIV infected people, but if removing CCR5 really is protective, there are other ways to do that. Thanks for sharing, the link to the poster was interesting.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 10:51:53 AM
Author: neatfreak
I hope it''s true! I am just so skeptical of one time studies that haven''t been peer reviewed and published in good journals...
Ditto. Will keep hoping that it is true, though!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2008 11:13:43 AM
Author: gwendolyn

Ditto. Will keep hoping that it is true, though!
Here too; praying it is true
36.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awesome! I hope it is true.

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
it''s a very encouraging read. thank you for sharing! hopefully this is a step in the right direction for AIDS research.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results