Marquise paraiba inspiration?

greentea240

Rough_Rock

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh!
Post pictures when you get it, please?
Did you option for a lab report so you can know how stable it is?
For setting suggestions-kind of era/style are you after?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bezel and an onyx surround! That’s what I would have done if I got it.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course all these designs could work as a pendant or a ring - 14.9mm is really something to think about on a finger.
I’m assuming n/s but still.
E0A463A2-E842-4286-B370-DEADC9272D7C.jpeg
7A9E0A6A-22D6-43E9-BDB4-3AE32BD0C75C.jpeg
91427322-CA85-45E3-9409-F65155F290BD.jpeg
DandT’s old ring style could be modified to a marquise beautifully
13E820C7-F606-4F6A-A7F0-861A2BBA492C.jpeg
The Gemstone Project has these two that I think could also be modified to a marquise beautifully (the pad is NatashaCupcakes)
CDB18A1D-54FC-485C-9F65-D8C68FD3AA05.jpeg
D6F84786-43B4-46A2-9DF0-C427AA916E42.jpeg

My marquise Paraiba was in a lariat style simple pendant but doubt that’s what you are going for, and at 5+ ct it was not that much of bigger footprint wise than yours. As a pansy - I couldn’t imagine it on my finger.
And how can I resist to show just how lovely Paraiba and onyx go together? ( I don’t own either of these anymore)
FCA82E6D-D039-451B-A876-3016122107C0.jpeg

greentea240

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I just bought it and haven't received it yet, will definitely post photos when I get it. I'm getting a bit nervous that it's too big... Not sure on era, I'm pretty open to anything.

Do you have pics of your paraiba as a lariat necklace? I could see doing something with a DBTY chain

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can dig some up of mine.
Here’s a gorgeous idea in the meantime
ForteKittys
C306D97F-A094-4750-B41E-3886753A2CA4.jpeg

Mine dangled much more, as a lariat, and flipped way too much. It’ll need to be attached at multiple points, like a negligee or something to prevent that, if you want it to drop more than this, I imagine.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B314127B-4289-4BA4-A4E1-E43E6E135958.jpeg 39EAE2B9-C1B6-46A8-B35F-40F09B232687.jpeg
One artificial light and one daylight.
I think this is before having the chain lengthened, to try and prevent it coming undone. Didn’t work. Thought about redesigning, but never did.

voce

Ideal_Rock
B314127B-4289-4BA4-A4E1-E43E6E135958.jpeg 39EAE2B9-C1B6-46A8-B35F-40F09B232687.jpeg
I think this is before having the chain lengthened, to try and prevent it coming undone. Didn’t work. Thought about redesigning, but never did.
That's gorgeous! :kiss2:

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
..The Gemstone Project has these two that I think could also be modified to a marquise beautifully (the pad is NatashaCupcakes
D6F84786-43B4-46A2-9DF0-C427AA916E42.jpeg

Actually the picture you posted isn't my pad ring. Elle liked the modified Feuilles Dorees setting that I asked for so much that she used it with a Vietnamese pink spinel that she had. Her spinel is a bit larger than my pad, so the proportions are slightly different. It does look like a twin, though! Here's my ring.

IMG_5176-1.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5196.jpeg
    IMG_5196.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 206

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so glad you bought this! I was way too tempted and I really don’t need more gems to set!!!

Can’t wait to see what you do with it and what you think of the gem!

greentea240

Rough_Rock

Oh wow that's a super cool design! It'll be hard to decide between ring and necklace... maybe go for convertible piece like ? 0:) I don't know if a diamond halo would work with a cabochon stone though

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sh-yeah!
Of course it would!

greentea240

Rough_Rock
unnamed (14).jpg unnamed (15).jpg unnamed (16).jpg

i'm so torn on it! It's a good size (not too big but still has a good presence) and has a lot of glow on parts of it but don't totally love the green area since it seems less glowy there (on the right in the first photo).

For the size and price its an amazing steal but after seeing this pic https://www.pricescope.com/community/attachments/img_4551-jpg.705434/ I'm wondering if I should hold out for an all blue faceted one (but so expensive!). Halp?

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you pretend tomorrow morning that you’ve sent it back to vendor - how do you feel that it’s gone?
That’s a hard one to help someone else on what’s good enough, vs hold out for something better, and what is expensive for what it is.

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock

If I'm not mistaken the stone you bought is in the 6k range, big purchase, if you are not 100% about it I would return it unless it's a total steal. Marquise cut and non pointy design are not super easy to come by for obvious reasons. Maybe an oval stone or a design where the stone is mounted horizontally in a simple band (can look a bit masculine though so it may not be your cup of tea)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I'm not mistaken the stone you bought is in the 6k range, big purchase, if you are not 100% about it I would return it unless it's a total steal. Marquise cut and non pointy design are not super easy to come by for obvious reasons. Maybe an oval stone or a design where the stone is mounted horizontally in a simple band (can look a bit masculine though so it may not be your cup of tea)

Maybe I’m not up to date on paraiba pricing, but I personally don’t think $6k is a “steal” for that stone. It’s probably a fair price considering it’s a heavily included cabochon. Also, I wouldn’t pay a premium for Brazilian provenance, unless the color lived up to that locale. I’ve seen African material that color.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it was $6k? But what I think is that there's no way you get that much glow from an African paraiba. You can get clarity and color from there, but the glow is superior in good (not all) Brazilian stones.

You should return it if it just doesn't thrill you. But who's to say you'd be able to find a blue faceted one for a steal? Be prepared to pay high prices if you're going to hold out for a better gem.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's lovely but I am slightly gobsmacked that was $6k... o_O

polarisfire

Rough_Rock
I remember this on CRDs Etsy and it was not 6k. I think it was a bit under 3k and recently even was on sale 15% off, which might have been when OP got it.

Last edited:

IcePhoenix

Shiny_Rock
Again I don't know if I remember correctly the price. I have seen a 0.17 carat faceted paraiba for more than 5k so prices can get crazy high crazy fast depending on quality and origin

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I typically don’t do this - but since speculation is so wildly inaccurate and judgement is being based on that - plus OP hasn’t cleared it up -
It was priced just under 2k USD.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it was $6k? But what I think is that there's no way you get that much glow from an African paraiba. You can get clarity and color from there, but the glow is superior in good (not all) Brazilian stones.

You should return it if it just doesn't thrill you. But who's to say you'd be able to find a blue faceted one for a steal? Be prepared to pay high prices if you're going to hold out for a better gem.
I respectfully disagree. Ive seen African stones that glow to the moon, and are glowier than that stone. However, the finest Brazilian material will always be the best.

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I typically don’t do this - but since speculation is so wildly inaccurate and judgement is being based on that - plus OP hasn’t cleared it up -
It was priced just under 2k USD.

Ok, well that’s a good price then!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion, having seen it in person - it is great for the price. If you want big, and turquoise, and glowy in most lights (those office lights were also the worst lights for my stone), I don't think you're going to find better for $2k - maybe different of similar quality. You could probably design a setting that obscured most of the green - either just a bezel setting or you could have something organic like leaves covering a bit of the side. One thing you have to judge is given how fast prices are rising, how realistic is it for you to save up $6k+ within the next 1 to 1.5 years if you want something better? And would you be fine with that amount of money getting you probably around 1 ct if you want an untreated stone of nice color? To get a faceted 2 ct+ of nice color you need a minimum of $12k, and $12k would be for a fracture-filled stone. If you can do that, then holding out might be the best choice for you. If you can't though and really want a paraiba, this is a nice one. I've said before it was my second choice and I like it. The gem box picture is the absolute WORST picture of it - I didn't ever take them both out and put them on my hand at once but maybe I should have because the difference is not as great as it appears in that picture (and mine is noticeably less saturated in color irl, which doesn't come across in that pic - this is by far the most saturated paraiba Yvonne had at the time I bought).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
unnamed (14).jpg unnamed (15).jpg unnamed (16).jpg

i'm so torn on it! It's a good size (not too big but still has a good presence) and has a lot of glow on parts of it but don't totally love the green area since it seems less glowy there (on the right in the first photo).

For the size and price its an amazing steal but after seeing this pic https://www.pricescope.com/community/attachments/img_4551-jpg.705434/ I'm wondering if I should hold out for an all blue faceted one (but so expensive!). Halp?
Just saw the faceted one now. I would hold out if the faceted stone was cleaner, but it appears just as included as the cabochon. It also looks as saturated. The cabochon looks nicer to me because an included faceted stone really lets light reflect back off those inclusions. Is the cabochon so included that you cannot see through it?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw the faceted one now. I would hold out if the faceted stone was cleaner, but it appears just as included as the cabochon. It also looks as saturated. The cabochon looks nicer to me because an included faceted stone really lets light reflect back off those inclusions. Is the cabochon so included that you cannot see through it?

This is a picture I took and the faceted one is my stone. The picture is very not true to life and I kind of regret posting it because as I said above the differences are not so great as they appear and the marquise is maybe two steps more saturated than the oval irl. Not as glowy but also nowhere near as dull as the in gem box pic makes it look. The oval was 8x the price of the marquise, for reference as to the price difference you’re looking at in that image.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a picture I took and the faceted one is my stone. The picture is very not true to life and I kind of regret posting it because as I said above the differences are not so great as they appear and the marquise is maybe two steps more saturated than the oval irl. Not as glowy but also nowhere near as dull as the in gem box pic makes it look. The oval was 8x the price of the marquise, for reference as to the price difference you’re looking at in that image.
I’m so terribly sorry. I make it a point not to negatively comment on stones owned by pricescopers unless they’re in the return period and asking for honest opinions.

I have a short attention span and sometimes I skim over a post, and if someone mentioned that was your stone, I didn’t see it. It is a very nice gem and I hope you’re not peeved at me. :oops:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so terribly sorry. I make it a point not to negatively comment on stones owned by pricescopers unless they’re in the return period and asking for honest opinions.

I have a short attention span and sometimes I skim over a post, and if someone mentioned that was your stone, I didn’t see it. It is a very nice gem and I hope you’re not peeved at me. :oops:

Haha not at all peeved - everything you said was true! I know the benefits and drawbacks of the stone I have. You weren’t bashing it, just pointing out the facts, which is very helpful. It IS included and the light DOES reflect off the inclusions - I don’t mind but it’s something people should certainly know. I was just was pointing out the ways in which the picture is not true to life - I agonized for hours over which one I liked more and the picture makes it look like the oval is clearly the better which imo having seen them both was not the case in person. If OP liked the stone before seeing the picture, that picture should NOT be the basis on which their decision to keep it or not is made, I guess is what I’m getting at.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results