shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise idealscope feedback--diamond newbie :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

missionCR

Rough_Rock
Trade

Hello,

I''ve been reading these forums for some time while shopping for a diamond for an enagement ring for my fiance (already proposed, but couldn''t yet afford ring and she had no idea at the time what shepe of diamond she''d like). I''m pretty sure I''m on a much tighter budget than possibly anyone else on this forum (22 years old, about to graduate college with too much debt, fiance and I are likely going to live on a tight ''ministry budget'' doing water purification and other work oversees), so the stone I''m looking at certainly isn''t as exciting as the others shown on here. But I"ve been researching for months now and still want to get her the best on I can with the money that I can spend.

She definitely wants a Marquise, and greatly values ''pretty'' over ''size'' (very dainty, only liked the skinniest rings, almost all sidestones were too much for her taste, etc.) I''ve read that with a Marquise, unlike a RB, color and clarity can show up easily (in a bad way). I"ve also read that higher depth % = less bow tie but less overall light, looked at (I think the AGS?) suggestions for ideal Marquise cuts, etc.

Here''s what I found:
Color: E
Clarity: VS1
Carat: .60
Polish: VG
Symmetry: G
Depth: 60.8
Table: 58-60 (diamond not liisted anymore since on hold, can''t find where I wrote that down)
Dimensons: 8.07 X 4.67mm X something (sorry; again, cannot find it)
Ratio: 1.73
Price: $1250
GIA cert.

Since I can''t afford a big stone and that''s not her preference anyway (well, as little as it can be at least), I don''t want to mess up on the fire / brilliance / scintillation.

Attached is the idealscope James Alen took for me. I''ve researched what to look for in a RB idealscope, but cannot find any information on what is ''good'' for a Marquise. Based on my budget (would be tough to go over $1500), the technical aspects made this seem like the best stone I could get. I''m considering having it shipped this week (her birthday is this weekend). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

E vs1 marquise idealscope1.jpg

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
In my experience color and clarity in Marquise or Pear are not going to differ much from a RB until you get into the 1.5 to 2.0 ct. range.

I would consider lowering my color to H and going to VS2 easily, unless you don''t want to get a larger stone? By the way, my dental hygenist is wearing something close to 1.75 or 2.00cts. and it isn''t hindering her doing the job
2.gif

As far as interpreting your idealscope, on fancy cuts the asset is a better tool.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you link us to the magnified picture? Or post it?

missionCR

Rough_Rock
Trade
So I shouldn''t worry about having a higher color rating for a marquise even if my ring / setting are white gold, not platinum? (Could not for the life of me find a style simiilar to what she likes in platinum, and probably couldn''t afford it anyway). I''m interested because outside of pricescope web sites have said to be careful about the color, especialy in a marquise.

And I''m afraid I don''t have a magnified image--I should''ve posted and asked before having the stone put on hold (so that it''d still be there for me to link you to).

Thanks so much for the responses; I''ll admit I''m a little bit terrified about ''messing this up'' :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 8:20:56 PM
Author: JulieN
can you link us to the magnified picture? Or post it?
Ditto, that would help. The vendor will be able to send you a pic on request.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I love marquise rings. If you are looking at a stone under 1 carat, I would personally go lower in color and clarity. Maybe a G or H color, and even as low as SI1.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I also did want to mention that the stone you picked looks beautiful - I love that shape. I just suggested that you could go down in color & clarity to save money, but that stoen is beautiful.

missionCR

Rough_Rock
Trade
For that price, I cannot get a larger stone even by going with less expensive color / clarity. The cheapest Bue Nile Marquise, under their ''very good'' cut category, at .60 carat is a G VS2 .60 carat for $1402. James Allen also doesn''t have anything larger for less money either.

It seems that, despite this stone being E VS1, I"d have to spend more money to get a stone of equal size anywhere else (unless of course I buy outside the recommended proportions for a Marquise, which I"ve gathered is a bad idea).

I may see about getting the picture again...but I originally had it idealscoped / examined because the picture did not look great--hard to find the inclusions (given VS1), but the bow-tie looked too pronounced and it didn''t look as white as I expected an E to look. The CS rep said that''s because it''s hard to get a marquise to sit right for the pictures, so sometimes the pictures end up a bit from the side; she said examiined in person it looked perfectly white and had a very minimal bowtie (I expected a bit more bowtie with that depth, but the lower ratio would offset that some from what I''ve read, and it''s supposed to have more overall light play at lower depths too I thought).

Since I don''t seem to be able to get a larger stone for that price ($1250), I''m predmoninantly concerned with not getting a dull stone, or passing up other stones in that range that would look better (more fire / brilliance / etc.)

Thanks again for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results