shape
carat
color
clarity

Marquise and round alternating engagement ring

jess719

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

My brother is hoping to get engaged in the next year and needs some help finding the ring his future bride to be HAS to have. She wants an alternating band with marquise stones (actual shape not rounds in the marquise shape) and round ones. She wants it to go halfway because she doesn't want an eternity. He wants the stone to be about .8 H or I/SI1 round. And def. XXX or 000 cut. The diamond won't be too hard, but the ring has proved to be a challenge. Total budget for setting and stone is $4000 max.

My ring is from Brian Gavin, but I'm not sure that will be in his budget. I am having him email IDJ and ask for a quote from them, and also ask Good Old Gold. Does anyone have any other suggestions, or have you seen any settings that would work?

Thanks in advance!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
4000 max?

I think IDJ is a great fit. 1/2 eternity is a budget saver too.

Do you know which of these looks she wants?

1. High polish bezels.
2. Milgrain bezels.
3. Bezels on the Marquise, but not the rounds.
4. No bezels.

Once you figure that our, then send the corresponding image to IDJ. And explain you want a setting with that design on the shank. And go from there.

Marquise are EXPENSIVE though. So I would stick to one marquise per side flanked by rounds. Okay?

swing_band2.jpg

14825_w_nop_stg_480x380.jpg

marquise-and-round-diamond-wedding-band_41052473_a1.jpg

f83a7a33d83e52545969db675fffad68.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get the setting quote and then we'll discuss center stones.

jess719

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much Gypsy!!! The price of those little marquise stones is what has been so hard! I really appreciate your help, and so does he. I called him as soon as you posted. :appl: She saw this pic on BG and loved it, and wanted to tweak it to the half eternity and no sapphires. He's not even worried about the center stone since there will be quite a few good ones in that price range.

5390w18-8.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
jess719|1476679596|4087806 said:
Thank you so much Gypsy!!! The price of those little marquise stones is what has been so hard! I really appreciate your help, and so does he. I called him as soon as you posted. :appl: She saw this pic on BG and loved it, and wanted to tweak it to the half eternity and no sapphires. He's not even worried about the center stone since there will be quite a few good ones in that price range.

Okay so all high polish, delicate bezels.

So here is what I suggest. Call IDJ, ask to talk to Yekutiel, and tell him PS sent you.

I recommend the following lay out:

o<>ooo<>o

So each side has one marquise flanked by two marquise. Have them put a donut into the shank for the basket. I think it would work as long as her finger size isn't too large.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has awesome timing, the other half and I had been looking at the rings in this thread yesterday before the thread was posted! :D

If I can ask some related, noob questions, if that would be ok by the OP... :oops:

WRT the Marquise diamonds, may I ask if they will be cut well enough to look good? I understand they are one of the more difficult shapes to cut well, and I am cynical that such small stones would receive that much attention... :???:

Are BGD / IDJ / JA round melee diamonds in that size comparable, or is one better than the other?

Would one have to request specific quality sapphires? (Am I correct in thinking there are 'natural' and 'treated' versions?) Would they 'sparkle' at all?

Hand-carved milgrain is finer (therefore better) than the cast milgrain on the JA settings?

Sorry for all the questions, I hope it's ok to ask them on this thread 8)

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
David Klass quoted me $1500ish for a full eternity of alternating marquise and rounds a year or so ago. I would give him a call.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results