shape
carat
color
clarity

Mark Morrell Sunburst or Flame?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovedogs

Rough_Rock
Hi all, this is my first post but have been a long time lurker. I am getting my e-ring re-set (original setting from Blue Nile is a shared prong band....just not liking the looks or the discomfort of the shared prongs) and cannot make a desision between the Mark Morrell sunburst or the flame. I really do love them both equally!
What would you choose and why?

wen104

Shiny_Rock
Well that is a hard decision but if I had to pick it would be the Flame. I love that setting and havedebated having my diamond reset in that! But I would love to upgrade and have that set instead! Good Luck

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
how about the hybrid? i''m not sure if he''s ever made one yet, but he shows renderings on his site. you get the flame head and the sunburst shank.... that is one of my all time favorite settings for an RB! the torchiere looks like it, but in YG and PLAT.

lucky you.... enjoy and can''t wait to see what you decide!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
The Flame is one of my favorite solitaires. That head is just gorgeous, with or without the "surprise" diamonds at the base of the prongs. The Sunburst is beautifully executed, but to me it is not as interesting. The Flame head is beautiful metal art. If you prefer the shank of the Sunburst, he would probably be willing to do the Torchiere "hybrid" in all platinum instead of yellow gold and platinum.

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
Definitely the Sunburst. It''s much more classic and clean in my (and my girlfriend''s) opinion. I think the nature of the size of a setting doesn''t lend itself to the busyness of the flame. I mean, zoomed in pictures look really nice but in real life the setting on a stone less than 2.5 carats or so is just too small for anyone to really appreciate the intricacies of the head. That''s why I much prefer the sunburst. I just think it''s one of the most awesome settings I''ve ever seen, and my gf agrees
1.gif
But again, you''re just asking personal opinions here so you''re bound to get quite a few varied responses.

ilovedogs

Rough_Rock
The diamond is a 1.02 so a little on the smaller side. With regards to the last post and the flame detail not being noticed on thissmall of a setting.....I guess that is a good point and something to consider. Does the sunburst sit higher than the flame?

I also love the hybrid and have sent an e,ail to Mark to see if it can be done in all platinum.

How are knife edges? Are they comfortable?

Thanks for the response''s everyone!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Flame does not have a sharp knife edge, so it would not be uncomfortable at all. I prefer the Flame. It is more unique and I definitely think the details are worth it on a setting for a 1 ct. stone. Just understand that you''ll have to have a low wedding band to wear with it, especially if you choose a diamond wedding band.

Quash

Rough_Rock
I''m waiting for my 1 carat Flame to arrive. Mark has also done a knife edge (he prefer "parallel edge") wedding band. See below for the pics of both bands (scroll down for the band pics)

Flame and wedding mate

I saw his Torchiere and love the Sunburst but my gf isn''t a fan of bands that taper at the top, although she really liked the Sunburst.

I nearly asked Mark if he would do the opposite of the Torchiere - a Flame knife edge shank and a Sunburst basket. I thought it would look lovely. But, I adored the Flame basket and went with that. I used the Image Zoom firefox extension to shrink down the pics so the diamond measured 6.5mm with a ruler on my screen so I could get a sense of proportions. I was getting a little overwhelmed with the detailing and the heart prongs. When it is shrunk down it''s much softer, which I like. But, it''s still intricate and beautiful up close. In real life, those hidden diamonds should really be hidden and are a nice surprise.

There''s also a .75 diamond with a Flame setting in a PS thread (can''t find it) and it looks quite lovely. Proportions seem fine. And the Flame setting on Mark''s site is with a 1 carat.

In the end, both the Sunburst and Flame are lovely. There''s no right or wrong answer. Pick the one that makes your heart skip a bit more than the other. :)

Let us know what you choose.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 6:44:02 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
The Flame does not have a sharp knife edge, so it would not be uncomfortable at all. I prefer the Flame. It is more unique and I definitely think the details are worth it on a setting for a 1 ct. stone. Just understand that you''ll have to have a low wedding band to wear with it, especially if you choose a diamond wedding band.

ditto. i think a 1 carat would look beautiful in the flame and I prefer it too.

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/9/2007 8:06:21 PM
Author: Quash
I''m waiting for my 1 carat Flame to arrive. Mark has also done a knife edge (he prefer ''parallel edge'') wedding band. See below for the pics of both bands (scroll down for the band pics)

Flame and wedding mate

I saw his Torchiere and love the Sunburst but my gf isn''t a fan of bands that taper at the top, although she really liked the Sunburst.

I nearly asked Mark if he would do the opposite of the Torchiere - a Flame knife edge shank and a Sunburst basket. I thought it would look lovely. But, I adored the Flame basket and went with that. I used the Image Zoom firefox extension to shrink down the pics so the diamond measured 6.5mm with a ruler on my screen so I could get a sense of proportions. I was getting a little overwhelmed with the detailing and the heart prongs. When it is shrunk down it''s much softer, which I like. But, it''s still intricate and beautiful up close. In real life, those hidden diamonds should really be hidden and are a nice surprise.

There''s also a .75 diamond with a Flame setting in a PS thread (can''t find it) and it looks quite lovely. Proportions seem fine. And the Flame setting on Mark''s site is with a 1 carat.

In the end, both the Sunburst and Flame are lovely. There''s no right or wrong answer. Pick the one that makes your heart skip a bit more than the other. :)

Let us know what you choose.
Actually, I contacted Mark because my gf doesnt like bands that taper at the top either and he said he could alter that for me too if I wanted the Sunburst. My gf doesnt like the look of knife edge bands and preferred the round look of the Sunburst without the taper. He quoted me a price for the non-tapering, rounded band with Sunburst head and showed me what it would look like. It was simply stunning.

If I had to go with the flame I prefer the version without the "surprise" diamonds. My gf said she thinks they make it look a little cheaper even though they''re diamonds. I guess she prefers the classic look of solid platinum as she also wants the band to be a little chunkier (read: wider) than the standard 2.5mm which she feels is too thin for a diamond around 2.5 carats.

Again, it all comes down to personal opinion and taste. Good luck!

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
Flame

My Flame just arrived yesterday and I''m loving it

E B

Ideal_Rock
I like the Flame, but they''re both beautiful! I don''t think you could go wrong with either.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote here for the Flame.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
i love the flame without the accent diamonds. the pattern reminds me of gothic tracery, very elegant and intricate. i think a 1ct stone would look lovely in either setting, but my vote is for the flame.

ilovedogs

Rough_Rock
Looks like the flame is choice for most. My fiance likes the sunburst, he thinks the flame has too much metal. Wow, not sure what to do!! Thanks for all the responses, everyone is so helpful......

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/10/2007 2:08:58 AM
Author: ilovedogs
Looks like the flame is choice for most. My fiance likes the sunburst, he thinks the flame has too much metal. Wow, not sure what to do!! Thanks for all the responses, everyone is so helpful......

My gf and I tend to agree with your fiance regarding the fact that there is too much metal and detail going on in such a small area in the Flame. However, YOU''RE the one who has to wear it for the rest of your life right? Just get whatever you prefer the look of more in person!
1.gif

KtIceRN

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for Flame!

Quash

Rough_Rock
I think it's worth downloading the Image Zoom Firefox extension. Then, go to Mark's site and bring up the page of thumbnails for the Sunburst and Flame. Right-click on each thumbnail and reduce it so the diamond measures 6.5mm (1 carat). That will give a good idea of detailing at the right size. The pics can overwhelm with detail. your boyfriend may have a different opinion once he sees them shrunk down. Also, take a look at side shots of the rings to see how much of the diamond you can actually see from the side. you'll see that both show a large portion of the diamond.

Image Zoom

And, pick the setting that makes your heart skip a beat. :) Our opinions ultimately don't matter. :)

Quash

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results