shape
carat
color
clarity

Marilyn's Dress ruined by Kim K

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know how this was even a thing. Losing that much weight in a few weeks was a terrible idea to start. Their shapes are TOTALLY different, obviously KK's butt is like 3x the size of marilyns, and she'd have to lose a lot more than 16lbs (or maybe just from her butt LOL) to be able to fit. Does she have to pay for the dress now? Or are they leaving it ruined? I couldnt hear the video but could clearly see the damage =\

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why wouldn't she just have a copy made that fit her??? It's not like she doesn't have the means.

She had a copy made and changed into it after walking into the MET but damage had already been done trying to get it over her butt and left an 6-8 gap open in back so she had to wear a jacket to cover it on the Met entry.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know how this was even a thing. Losing that much weight in a few weeks was a terrible idea to start. Their shapes are TOTALLY different, obviously KK's butt is like 3x the size of marilyns, and she'd have to lose a lot more than 16lbs (or maybe just from her butt LOL) to be able to fit. Does she have to pay for the dress now? Or are they leaving it ruined? I couldnt hear the video but could clearly see the damage =\

16 lbs was not going to help her get it over he butt.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its a disgrace
It should forever be an example of what a museum should not do with a dress that is as close to a national treasure as a dress will never get
heads need to roll

of course i dispose reality culture
Who are these Kardashians anyway? - they are just famous for being famous

She was never worthy of wearing that dress no matter what her size
Marilyn is an icon

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently is all stretched out. Even if they can replace the crystals, can they really fix fabric that is so stretched. I saw a photo of the back of the dress and the way the hooks and zipper were popping out. Ripley's who owns the dress says it was returned in the same condition as when it was lent and:

Ripley’s said while it is not “the first owner of this dress,” a 2017 report on the condition of Monroe’s dress indicated the garment already had damage, including “pulled and worn” seams and “puckering at the back by the hooks and eyes.”

I'm not sure if that's true or not. Ripley's might just be trying to give itself cover for loaning out the dress.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel sad about this. Pop culture bits usually have little impact on me, i.e. I am not easily provoked, much less upset, by the entertainment crowd. I either let myself be entertained by it, or I move on.

This, however, bothers me. This is a particularly iconic piece, worn by a beloved and tortured soul in a moment that laid bare her vulnerability and humanity. For this dress to be worn by anyone else just feels.... very off. She left the world far too soon, yet we still had this dress, this one very encapsulating, enchanting, and ethereal artifact of her existence.

For it to be Kim K. that wore it bothers me all the more. It may be because it was originally made for and worn by a female who was exploited by the entertainment industry... and has now been worn by a female who has exploited the entertainment industry. Nor was the event befitting, either... just another red-carpet moment. It lacks any of the tributary feel that often accompanies such a notable and momentous occurance; furthermore she allowed the legacy/garment to be disrespected the moment she (and everyone else involved) knew it would not fit without strain and damage.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel sad about this. Pop culture bits usually have little impact on me, i.e. I am not easily provoked, much less upset, by the entertainment crowd. I either let myself be entertained by it, or I move on.

This, however, bothers me. This is a particularly iconic piece, worn by a beloved and tortured soul in a moment that laid bare her vulnerability and humanity. For this dress to be worn by anyone else just feels.... very off. She left the world far too soon, yet we still had this dress, this one very encapsulating, enchanting, and ethereal artifact of her existence.

For it to be Kim K. that wore it bothers me all the more. It may be because it was originally made for and worn by a female who was exploited by the entertainment industry... and has now been worn by a female who has exploited the entertainment industry. Nor was the event befitting, either... just another red-carpet moment. It lacks any of the tributary feel that often accompanies such a notable and momentous occurance; furthermore she allowed the legacy/garment to be disrespected the moment she (and everyone else involved) knew it would not fit without strain and damage.

I agree

years and years ago i went to see an exhibition of Princess Diana's dresses
i didn't really enjoy it

but now im hoping none of her dresses have been worn
mind you the Princess sold said dresses for charity her actual self

Im wondering how the Riples museum got this particular iconic drees ?
Not that that matters, as its custodian, they have ultimately failed miserably

If the dress was stretched before it got to Kim, who else has tried it on?
why hasn't it been repaired by a suitably qualified restorer?

there are garments much older in museums all over the world
i would hope they are not being lent out willy nilly to the highest bidder

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why would anyone want to wear an iconic vintage dress worn by one of the most famous women in the world?
Because she wants to be noticed and talked about.
What a massive ego she must have!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

You know i want to say to her ?

Oh F O Kim ! :angryfire:

You ruined the dress
You have lead a life of being a spoilt brat and Daddy or who ever will pick up the tab (hopefully in this case you with all your gross tasteless reality tv show money)

Money does not buy class
How you can even compair yourself to the lovelly and timeless Ms Munro is beyond my comprehension

If she didnt actually stretch it and pop all those sequiny things she has certainly ruined the mystic of the dress

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Sorry but it’s not Kim’s fault no matter what you think of her as a person. Ripley’s should have never loaned it out. Also the source being Inside Edition is a bit suspect. Ripley’s says there is no damage. I doubt that’s true (just oils in skin etc can impact a very delicate fabric) but the responsibility lies with the owner of the gown which is Ripley’s.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry but it’s not Kim’s fault no matter what you think of her as a person. Ripley’s should have never loaned it out. Also the source being Inside Edition is a bit suspect. Ripley’s says there is no damage. I doubt that’s true (just oils in skin etc can impact a very delicate fabric) but the responsibility lies with the owner of the gown which is Ripley’s.

Well Fare enough maybe
But what kind of museum is Ripley running ?
It doesn't reflect well on them
i guess they lent it out for the publicity

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Well Fare enough maybe
But what kind of museum is Ripley running ?
It doesn't reflect well on them
i guess they lent it out for the publicity

Ripley's is not a real museum. They're an entertainment company known for displays of shock value items or fake/bizarre "artifacts", I highly doubt they care about historical items or their preservation.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ripley's is not a real museum. They're an entertainment company known for displays of shock value items or fake/bizarre "artifacts", I highly doubt they care about historical items or their preservation.

I fared as much
i remember the tv show

This dress should have been in something like the Smithsonian to be celebrated for its iconic history

Now im not saying Kylie Manougue is as historically important or as influential as Marilyn but i bet her stuff that is in the Victoria and Albert museum is properly looked after

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently is all stretched out. Even if they can replace the crystals, can they really fix fabric that is so stretched. I saw a photo of the back of the dress and the way the hooks and zipper were popping out. Ripley's who owns the dress says it was returned in the same condition as when it was lent and:

Ripley’s said while it is not “the first owner of this dress,” a 2017 report on the condition of Monroe’s dress indicated the garment already had damage, including “pulled and worn” seams and “puckering at the back by the hooks and eyes.”

I'm not sure if that's true or not. Ripley's might just be trying to give itself cover for loaning out the dress.

Ripley's trying to cover their butt, There is a man I forget his name I saw the interview with him, he has seen and held the dress many times (does something with historical artifacts) for various things and he said it was not that way before and that Kim had ruined it, it won't even fit on the mannequin they used to keep it on, it's stretched out. There are before and after pics and it didn't look like that before.
It cannot be mended, they don't make the fabric anymore as it was some special fabric.

+1000

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ripley's trying to cover their butt, There is a man I forget his name I saw the interview with him, he has seen and held the dress many times (does something with historical artifacts) for various things and he said it was not that way before and that Kim had ruined it, it won't even fit on the mannequin they used to keep it on, it's stretched out. There are before and after pics and it didn't look like that before.
It cannot be mended, they don't make the fabric anymore as it was some special fabric.

I have a few vintage dresses from the 1940s through 1960s.
I have one with a heavily beaded collar. I have had this dress for almost 40 years. Everytime I take it out to look at it or handle it, even gently, it is further degraded. The threads are breaking and beads are falling off.
Beaded vintage dresses are not for wearing, they are for "looking" only.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She had a copy made and changed into it after walking into the MET but damage had already been done trying to get it over her butt and left an 6-8 gap open in back so she had to wear a jacket to cover it on the Met entry.

This doesn't make sense to me. I saw the photos of where the dress was stretched and how the dress was left almost completely open at the back, and there was no pull at all where the photos say the dress was stretched - because it wasn't done up. On the other hand, I also read a report from 2017 saying the dress had damage then comparable to what appears to exist now. You can see in the photos showing the damage that it has occurred where the dress was hooked closed. But Kardashian didn't wear it closed, so that just doesn't make sense. And it wasn't left a *bit* open - it was left a LOT open. If they'd done it up and she'd sat in it - I can see that as a problem. But unzipped, standing, for a few minutes - I'm just not seeing it. I don't see why hooks that weren't closed would be showing stretch, or how a bunch of sequins could jump off in a few minutes. Also, remember it was so tight when Marilyn wore it that it had to be sewn onto her. It was also tight on the mannequin, and had been for years.

Here's how open it was at the back. You can see that where the damage is shown wasn't being pulled when Kardashian wore it.

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 1.37.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 1.55.48 PM.png

As for the dress - (and I'm not directing this comment at you, @autumngems, but rather all the people I've seen commenting on this online) - it belongs to Ripley's Believe it Or Not. They bought it and it's theirs. They can do what they like with it. I can't stand this whole "It's iconic and belongs to the people" thing. I actually read a comment from someone on some website saying - "This dress belongs to the people! So that means this dress is MINE! How dare she wreck it!" No. It's not yours. One of the things we all love about America is its free market. The dress was for sale. It COULD have been left to a museum - but it was sold and Ripley's, a purely commercial venture, bought it. They've been displaying it as part of their Exhibits and Archives for years, but decided to take it out for a whirl. It's their dress and it's within their rights. Frankly, I think the JFK museum in Boston should have bought it - what a coup that would have been! But, since they didn't, it rightly belongs to Ripley's and they can use it as they see fit. I might not like it (tho I do tend to believe things should be used, just in general), but it's not mine to dictate.

Personally, I think Kim looked awesome, tho I did think the hair was a tad severe. Did she stretch the dress? Maybe, tho Ripley's says not (believe that or...er...not...). But I think everyone laying into her is rather unfair. She seems to me to have been at pains not to damage the dress in any way. Anyway, I think we could all probably name 50 iconic outfits off the top of our heads, so to my way of thinking, if we want to preserve something, we'd be better off trying to return famous looted works of art from the second WW to the appropriate countries, or we could have reacted more strongly to ISIL's devastation of the Old Sites in the Middle East - which was an absolute travesty and utterly heartbreaking.

And in the final analysis, the dress is back on display and will probably never be worn again. Until Ripley's goes out of business, of course, and sells off all its assets to some power crazy trillionaire who lets his mistress wear it while drinking champagne and trailing a fur around the room, singing Happy Birthday Mr President. Call me a cynic, but that seems to be the way of these things. Very little lasts forever - which is why I love diamonds. :))

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. How come size 2 Kim needed to lose 16 lbs to wear the dress? Also Marilyn was 5’6”.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

While a few people have owned that dress; it was made for "one" person and only she "wore" it. Should have remained that way.

cheers--Sharon

Marilyn Monroe was a size 14. How come size 2 Kim needed to lose 16 lbs to wear the dress? Also Marilyn was 5’6”.

The smallest dress size you could buy during Marilyn’s lifetime was an 8 — sizing conventions, as well as the size (and shape) of American bodies, have changed a lot in the last 60 years. Even at MM’s most zaftig (right around Some Like It Hot), she was roughly the equivalent of a modern 6.

When she wore this spangled number, her measurements were 35.5” - 23.5” - 33.5”. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a person on this side of the millennium who’s built like that! Like, not even a Victoria’s Secret Angel.

Kim K has a rockin’ figure — not knocking it — but, by contrast, her hips are something like 41”. So yeah, not 6 dress sizes smaller…

Edit: I swear I don’t have some kind of disturbing fixation on celebrities’ body measurements :lol:. I minored in costume history in college and just really like old clothes, despite the fact that most don’t fit me, either!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results